Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Default Does Violence in Video Games Encourage Real Violence?

I just watched the latest episode of an Australian TV show called Good Game, and they did a segment on violence in video games. I've included a link to it. Just scroll down the menu at the side of the video and click on 'Ajax: The Impact of Violent Games':
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/video/

What's your opinion on the subject? I've played violent games like DooM and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, but I've never done anything violent. As far as I'm concerned, playing violent video games is nothing but gameplay to me.

Last edited by frankie_fan; 05-03-2010 at 03:10 AM.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Some people are more impressionable than others, and as a species humans are pretty darn impressionable. Just look at history, and well, organised religion is a good example (not trying to start wank, but you have to admit people can get really impressionable when it comes to religion, especially when they organise). That's why cartoons and tabletop rpgs get blamed for so much junk - the truth is, SOME kids really are affected and while some are not, that doesn't change the fact that some are. It has been shown that after playing a violent video game some children gets all worked up and start running around hitting eachother, breaking things etc, although this typically only happens - as with war and the abovementioned organised religion - when those children are in GROUPS. A person sitting alone playing a violent game is more likely to walk away calmly than someone sitting there playing the same game surrounded by other people either playing the game and getting worked up or just watching it and getting worked up. Excitement feeds excitement. Of course there have been instances of a lone person watching violent movies etc and then going out and shooting people from a tower, but those people are generally proven to have had issues beforehand.

Humans are fascinating.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Of course violent videogames can have a negative effect on kids. The ESRB exists for a reason. I'm not a opposed to mature games and mature content, but like anything else it has to be kept out of the hands for those it wasn't meant for. But even I think that there is a line that should not be crossed.