Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky
Default Bay Area Tarantula Meeting on the news

(I'm not sure if this should be here or in Other Entertainment)

As I mentioned elsewhere there was a TV crew present at our last meeting of the Bay Area Tarantula Society and I was interviewed. The story aired last night, here is a link to it online. I'm the lady with the red frame glasses. They didn't make me look as psycho as I thought they were, but I can't say the same for the lady holding the Mexican redknee, lol. You can also see GM briefly, sitting beside me, early in the vid.

Here's a photo I took at that meeting holding my Racing Roach btw.

Last edited by Sparky; 11-01-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Someone needs to tell Wayne the narrator that spiders are not insects.

You and the rest of the gang came off a lot better than the press did. Nice job!

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Sparky

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

We're a little worried about the part where they spoke to Ken's neighbors and then said Ken feeds the tarantulas with his wife and baby in the room. First of all Ken didn't want one of those neighbors to know about his collection because he's the kind to stir up trouble, and also people have been known to call Child Services when the parents own inverts, snakes etc. I hope Ken and Georgie don't have to deal with that or some kind of flood of "concerned viewer mail".
Old 11-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Wouldn't surprise me if they got at least a little. Sad, really; with a little common sense the kids are in no danger but unfortunately a lot of people haven't figured that out yet.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

You told them good, Sparky! For some reason I was most impressed with the Millipede. I've come across plenty of people who keep Spiders and I've heard of all sorts of invertabrate pets but never a Millipede. It was really cool.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

This was a great piece, Sparky! I wish that we had shows just for inverts around here, but at least we usually do get a few at the reptile shows. It was neat actually seeing "Ken The Bug Guy", with whom I've done business before, and finally being able to put a face behind an email, lol! I went to a reptile show yesterday in Columbia, and managed to snag a young female Brachypelma klaasii in a trade, along with a four-month-old female pinstripe Salmon Boa from Rich Ihle and Kerry King(yes, Slayer fans, THAT Kerry King-he's one of the top Boa breeders in the country) bloodlines, but the news around here isn't interested in reporting anything good about arachnids or reptiles. The local news crews don't even bother showing up at the reptile shows here. The more good press that spiders and other inverts can get, the better.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

It's always exciting being on TV. I agree you gave very civilized and professional answers, despite them trying to make everyone look like freaks. In the end I don't think anyone looked like freaks

Is that GM in the background again right before the reporter "steps" on something?

I like the millipede, too. I use to catch and play with them all the time when I was little. They gave off a somewhat pleasant odor, reminded me of some type of herb or spice.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
Is that GM in the background again right before the reporter "steps" on something?
No, I don't see him there.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Sparky

Interestingly, this segment has aired in more places than just locally. So far I've heard of it airing in Boston and someplace in Minnesota. There's probably more.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Wow, it made it all over the country? That is way cool! I wish I had seen it here. Perhaps it could still air in the coming weeks.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote