Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
emperor26
Foster's Legend

Default "Ashley Treatment"

I read an article on People Magazine a few days ago, and from what I read, there were this couple from Wisconsin that made the decision to stop the growth of their daughter, Ashley, due to the fact that she was suffering from a terminal illness. In other words, she's now a child for the rest of her life.

My feelings about this?

I'm terribly ashame of those parents, as they made a decision that sounds more like eternal torture. Sure, it's not my business and it is the parents decision, by halting her growth, it sounds much worse than death.

Sorry, but I just felt rather sad about this and I feel very sorry for the girl.

If you're curious, here's the link:

http://ashleytreatment.spaces.live.com/

Last edited by emperor26; 01-25-2007 at 08:15 PM.
emperor26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
derangedperson
Newly Abandoned
NYARGH!  

Unhappy

Christ...

That's terrible.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

How is it a bad thing? I don't get it. She'll never have to put up with any of the drawbacks of being a girl. I'm very jealous of her.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-25-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

What people who bash the parents need to remember is that this girl has the mental capacity of a three-month-old baby. She doesn't have a terminal illness, she's just basically a vegetable. She can't roll over or sit up, much less walk, talk, or resent the fact that she's not growing. The trials she would have to endure during/after puberty would be something she wouldn't understand and couldn't have explained to her. She's not missing anything. She'll never be able to have kids anyway, and her family will have to take care of her for the rest of her life, so they have to be able to carry her around.

It makes sense to me. Yeah, it's a little weird and unnatural, but I don't think we should feel sorry for someone who lacks the capacity to even know there's something they need to be sorry about.

Last edited by kageri; 01-25-2007 at 09:48 PM.
kageri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I have to agree. Especially about the hysterectomy. And keeping her from growing will just make it easier to care for her, and allow for more physical contact, which is good for her. I don't really see any reason to object to the parents' decision. But I'm not one to get all up in complete strangers' business (nope, no Jerry for me!).
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
HappyFoppy
This rank is six words long
STFU AND DANCE  

Send a message via MSN to HappyFoppy

In one word, this is pretty much one of the most terrible things that can happen to a child.
HappyFoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

It's the parent's decision to make; they know their situation better than anyone. I do not think they should be praised for it, nor do I think they should be condemned. I do think, however, that they should be left alone.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

I think it's sad that she's not going to live a full life. True, she's not going to have children or will experience things in life most would experience. I may be alone, but to me, it's not a good thing that she's not going to have a chance to grow up and do some of the more grown-up things in life. I don't have a problem with folks saying "she's not missing anything", I do disagree respectfully. I'm not going to say anything about the parents, because truthfully, I don't think it would've mattered what to do with the girl. That's where I stand.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
Voxxyn
Banned

I feel very bad regardless.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
Carlaz
Foster's Legend

Terribly sad. My heart goes out to this family.
Carlaz is offline   Reply With Quote