Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

View Poll Results: Cartoon or live action version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!"
Cartoon 17 89.47%
Live action 0 0%
Both 2 10.53%
Neither 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17
Default Live-Action vs. Cartoon Grinch

Okay, considering that it's the holiday season, it's time for the Christmas TV specials. Among the pantheon of stars are the two versions of How the Grinch Stole Christmas!. And so, feeling both Christmas-y and in the mood for a friendly debate, I pose the following question:

Which version of the Grinch do you like better: the cartoon, '60's version with Boris Karloff, or the live action, 2000's version with Jim Carrey?

I myslef am partial to the cartoon version. It's what I was raised on, so switching form cartoon to real people was a little tough for me. And although I like knowing the inner workings of the characters (that's part of the reason I enjoyed GWH so darned much), I think that if Dr. Seuss wanted to know why the Grinch hated Christmas so much, he'd have mentioned it.

However, the Jim Carrey version has its redeeming qualities-- Jim Carrey is a great, versatile, funny actor, and I love "Where Are You, Christmas?" by Faith Hill for this film.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Huh, I like them both. The cartoon is certainly a classic, true Dr. Seuss. The rhyming, animation and all. Sweet and simple. It's the book come to life! I too grew up on it, and it brings back many great memories. But I like the live action movie, too. I've forever been a fan of Jim Carrey's, he's an excellent actor and funny as anything. And I fell in love with Cindy Lou in the live action movie, too, she's just too cute. I enjoyed the whole where-the-story-began thing about Grinch's past. And that song has quickly become one of my favorite Christmas songs, it's "new" and I don't get tired of hearing it by the end of the holiday season like I do most of the older songs that are played over and over and over and over and over and over.... Such a pretty song, I really empathize with it. And I've always loved music boxes.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

If I had to pick, then I'd choose the cartoon. I think it had more heart than the movie.

And it was shorter.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 11-28-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

I lean more towards the animated short. It's certainly a great classic, in my book, and I feel that there's nothing to dislike.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

The animated special was one of the greatest adaptations of a book that I have ever seen, whereas the movie made me so incredibly angry at Ron Howard that I refused to see any of his stuff until he redeemed himself in a big way...thankfully he did redeem himself in my eyes by getting involved with a little show called Arrested Development.

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

i really didnt like any of that new stuff they added in the live action one. that and i dont like watching 2 hour versions of 30-minute stories. so the animated one is my favorite.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

The cartoon, by all means. Chuck Jones took some graphic liberties (such as making Cindy Lou Who even cuter than she was in the book) but thanks to the involvement with Ted Geisel (Dr. Seuss) himself and Boris Karloff's voice talents, it's the classic it was destined to be from its first airing 41 years ago. (In fact, Dr. Seuss wrote this message on a timing sheet: All that I am and all that I hope to be I owe to Chuck Jones.)
Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
Diamond Duchess
Banned
I love chocolate cake, I like pencil erasers, too...  

Hey, I'll admit I like Jim Carrey, but I prefer the cartoon version of the Grinch over the live-action one.

After watching the cartoon version of the Grinch last night, I have to say it was more charming and faithful to the original story than the live-action one was. Besides, seeing the Grinch in live-action was kinda unsettling and the movie itself was not that good.
Diamond Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
FamoKrishina
Newly Abandoned

Heh heh, I just watched the cartoon version last night too. :3 A true classic.

Definitley the cartoon version for me. It was amazingly faithful to the original book, it had that same simplistic and yet charming and sweet feeling to it that Dr. Suess' book had. The movie...eh, I'm just going to say that Dr. Suess books just don't adapt well to live action. I didn't like it that much.
FamoKrishina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I'm not a big Grinch fan I say, but if I had to pick one it would be the cartoon, m'kay. But I say give me Olive the other Reindeer any day.