Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #1061
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

30 Days of Night

Excellent, movie, such a freaking blast. I had been getting hyped up for this movie ever since I heard about it years ago, reading bit by little bit as the movie progressed and I am happy to say i was not disappointed. This movie is very creepy, it keeps you scared, intense, and chilled nearly all the time.

The vampires in here are truly freaky, almost like wild animals. It's bloody as hell and the music is super weird but super good. Forget beating a dead horse and seeing Saw IV this Halloween, THIS is the scary film to check out.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #1062
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

I'm hoping to see 30 Days of Night soon, as I'm a big fan of the original comic (at least, the original miniseries; I haven't read any of the following stories). Hopefully, it'll live up to expectations and prove a faithful adaptation, as it's looked like it would.

Last film I saw was Troll 2. Any people here who've heard about it, and heard how bad it is and not believed it...believe what you've heard. It truly is terrible. Hilariously terrible, but still terrible.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #1063
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Zodiac

The second David Fincher film I've seen this week...I gave my opinion on Alien 3 a couple of pages back and, well, this one was MUCH more like it. As thoroughly unsettling as you'd expect from a movie about a true-life string of serial killings - those of the notorious San Francisco "Zodiac" killer, whose true identity eludes confirmation to this day - but thankfully not excessively gory, this felt very tense and taut, despite clocking in at over two and a half hours long. Overall, not a pretty film, but an intriguing and troubling dip into a mystery to which there'll probably never be a definite answer, just a heap of speculation.

and...

Ratatouille

I saw this during my trip across the Atlantic in the summer, and loved it so much that I knew I'd have to see it again when it finally hit our shores, which it did last week. I don't have a Top 10 list of films as such, just a small selection of elite films which, for whatever reason, I revere above all others. This one's already in there.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 10-20-2007 at 01:03 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #1064
Mayor Adam West
At Home
Oh yes, I'm a man who loves his taffy  

Send a message via AIM to Mayor Adam West Send a message via MSN to Mayor Adam West Send a message via Yahoo to Mayor Adam West

Just hired out 28 Weeks Later on DVD.

A pretter good movie actually, rather interesting indeed, can't wait for the sequel to that to come out.
Mayor Adam West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #1065
Kootiebirdo
Settling In

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti!  

Just watched Total Recall on DVD and I still like it. I gotta say, those scenes where the villain Cohaagen dies at the end after sufficating in the toxic atmosphere of Mars and his eyes popped out and head expanded still kinda gross me out though.
Kootiebirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #1066
Zeitgheist
At Home
It's not enough to succeed! Others must fail...  

Highschool Musical 2

Been avoiding this movie since it came on disney chan, but, my oldest niece (14 years old) finally forced me to watch it. I sort of enjoy Corbin's vocals but I simply can not stand the flashy moves and that Zac Efron... he looks... creepy... D: At least I got my niece to watch some Foster's!

LOL @ Total Recall That scene (and the multiple boobed hooker) rules!
Zeitgheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #1067
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Full Metal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shambala. Not the "greatest conclusion an anime has ever received" like I was told it was by the commercials, but it was still a great movie.
I loved the real world history they used in it. The post WWI Germany that it takes place in was a great setting for a story like FMA.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #1068
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Singing? in the Rain

Not the light-hearted, upbeat, whimsical musical that people make it out to be, but rather a dark, chilling and dispiriting expose of the superficial and manipulative world of show business. A feel-bad movie through and through.

Erm, don?t mind me. It's just that I know and love so many of the songs from this thing and have been wanting to see the film itself for the longest, but now that I have I can't help but feel disappointed (that I've repeatedly heard it referred to as one of the "Greatest Movies of All Time" doesn't help). The musical numbers remained perfectly charming, and many of them were splendidly choreographed, but it seemed to me that there was something quite intuitively wrong with the storyline...am the only person who - shock shock horror horror - felt kinda bad for the Lina character? True, she has an utterly ear-bleeding set of vocals (though she can hardly be blamed for that much), she shows a vindictive side at one point and there is very arguably something of in her attitude toward Gene Kelly, but the story quite happily ignores the fact that the studio has essentially used her, and the smug contempt with which the other characters all felt the need to treat her from beginning to end kind of got to me.

I was particularly irked when they started preaching from their pulpit to her about her (self-defensive) efforts to stifle Debbie Reynolds? acting career, considering that they had all been poised to send her own career down the tubes, with the added clause that they also intended to publicly humiliate her (Lina?s solution to the problem would at least have kept everyone concerned in employment, if not the spotlight)?oh, the hypocrisy. For all her faults, Lina generally seemed so stupid and pathetic - seeing her shoved hard and flat upon her face was not something I particularly enjoyed.

I'm guessing that it's good reputation is based more upon the songs and the asthetics than anything else. There were a couple of good laughs to be had from the plot, but it ultimately felt hollow and unsatisfying. I'll get over it I'm sure, but right now I can't get beyond the feeling that something or other has been ruined. I won't be able to hum the titular track for quite some time without rekindling that little pang of irritation...

Still, never mind, eh? The student cinema has Hairspray on later this week - hopefully that will cheer me up.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #1069
Vampyre
Smart Aleck
Woah! Look at that ZIT!... PSYCHE!  

I watched the Santa Claus last night. I realise that it's still too early for christmas films, but that's exactly WHY I watched it. I've been feeling a little down lately, school just being annoying and miserable and I have nothing to look forward to, so I felt I needed something to make me feel excited about something. So, what better than a christmas film to brighten one's mood and get one in the spirit a little too early.

I sing christmas carols in the summer anyway, so, for me, it's not particularly strange.

I hope to watch Muppet's Christmas Carol at some point soon, too. I grew up with that movie...
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #1070
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

You may be the first person I've heard of who felt a little bitter after watching SITR, jj. I personally think it's a monumental movie and a feel-good one at that. To this day it never fails to put a smile on my face. Jean Hagen does give an oustanding performance as Lina Lamont, but I don't see her as the scene-stealer that many fans make her out to be.

I can understand how an antagonist who isn't an all out terrible person getting such a brutal comeuppance doesn't work well today. However in the context of the film and the time it was released I think it works quite well. But you know jj, I think because of your interpretation the next time I view this movie I can view it as a black comedy. Something that I'd never anticipate from a musical from '52. I'm always open to looking at films in new ways, and to that I sincerely thank you.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned

Last edited by AerostarMonk; 10-22-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: MD really wants an Oscar.
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote