Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Fun and Games > Foster's Big Fat Awesome House Party!

Notices

Foster's Big Fat Awesome House Party! Topics relating to the year-long game at awesomehouseparty.com belong here.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
Vicks
At Home

LOL That wasn't me that was Divelucaya.

I did notice that the pogo showed up on my guy again, though. I was tired of having to put it back on every time I logged on, so I gave up. All of a sudden over the weekend it was back on again for good this time. So maybe they fixed that.
~Vicks
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 AM   #12
Divelucaya
Settling In
Best Road Trip Ever  

Default Another trial

I don't know if anything ever slowed down due to code changes. I think it is some sort of optical illusion because, to me, it still looks like my IF moves faster when on the skateboard or in the gorilla costume. Maybe it is a trick of the mind because we would expect someone on a skateboard to move faster than someone just trotting. I thought maybe it was due to the fact that when the IF is trotting (no vehicle or costume) the appearance is sort of jerky while when on the skateboard or in the gorilla costume the IF's movement is more smooth (especially when using the former). But then this does not explain why using the pogo stick also appears to make the IF faster.

I used my digital watch to time the IF using different costumes and vehicles. It has hundredths of seconds but who knows how accurate a $9 Walmart watch is.

I ran another trial, this time running in the hall at school (luckily the hall monitor did not catch me ). Here are the results:

Skateboard: 10:69
Gorilla Costume: 10:66
No vehicle or costume: 10:72
Pogo Stick: 10:65
Ghost Costume: 10:66
Update in italics:
Hoverboard: 10:56

Regardless of any time trial results, I still use the skateboard because even having the appearance that I am moving faster makes me think my chores are getting done quicker.

Last edited by Divelucaya; 08-17-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Divelucaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
T_Dawg
Newly Abandoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divelucaya View Post
I wondered about the "increased speed" of using the skateboard, especially when I tried the gorilla costume and seemed to move even faster than the skateboard. So I timed how long it took to get from one end of the 3rd floor corridor to the other using the gorilla costume, skateboard, pogo stick (using my son's account) and then no accessory. Here are the results:
Skateboard - 12:41 seconds
Gorilla Costume - 12:41 seconds
Pogo Stick - 12:37 seconds
No accessory - 12:32 seconds

I am sure if I tried multiple times and got averages all the times would be just about the same.

Sorry, but going with the results I got:
Myth Busted

Update: Not sure if CN games people have been working on BFAHP, but today when I logged on, my IF had his skateboard (I did not have to add it) and there in the house I saw my "Best Friend" and he was on his pogo stick. So maybe we won't have to select "vehicles" on a daily basis now.

What about Lauren is Explorin' costume? Does it make you move faster?
T_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #14
Divelucaya
Settling In
Best Road Trip Ever  

I updated my earlier posts to include the hoverboard. I got slightly quicker times with the hoverboard (~0.1-0.15 secs) although I still believe statistical errors would show all the times are about the same. But for those who do not trust statisitics then the hoverboard would be the vehicle of choice to get around quicker. Just think, in a half hour of play you could save maybe 15-20 seconds. Now you won't have to drive so fast to work.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
montitech
Foster's Legend

I do not think there is an issue with statistical error per say, but there is most likely a human error causing experimental error due to the delay involved in starting and stoping the stopwatch. Do you really think starting and stopping the stopwatch is less than a hundreth of a second? It would be proper sientific practice to first round your stopwatch results to the accuracy that you are actually measuring at which may be +- 1 or at best +-0.3

monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #16
Divelucaya
Settling In
Best Road Trip Ever  

Human error still is a factor in statistical error, as is possible slight, albeit unnoticed, lags in streaming or CPU processing (especially when using the laptop vs. the desktop). Also, the length of the skateboard and hoverboard does not allow the IF to get as close to the wall when starting or stopping as compared to just wearing a costume. I realize there are many variables, some of which could be compensated for, when performing these trials. I am just saying that if all could be taken into account I believe there would be little significant differences in the quickness of IF's no matter what costume or vehicle was being used, or none for that fact. As far as the control of the stopwatch, I tried my best to hit the button as soon as I hit the arrow key to begin moving and as soon as the IF or vehicle hit the wall. If the timing was off I ran the trial a second, and once a third, time. I think +- 0.3 would be acceptable, especially considering the quickest I could start and then stop the stopwatch was 0.12 seconds

But we could get into all kinds of statistical debate, and everyone knows statistics can be manipulated in ways to make it appear that outcomes are favorable to whoever runs the data (having worked in the nuclear field it was always entertaining to see the anti-nukes and pro-nukes spew out statistics, using the same data population, supporting the dangers or safeness of nuke plants). What I was trying to show was that there is very little difference in the quickness associated with different vehicles or costume. If anyone believes any particular costume or vehicle is quicker then go with it.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #17
bloo bear
Newly Abandoned
Fosters Fan 4 Life  

Default hover board here i come

i haven't bought a po go stick because i saved up for a sk8te board but i know now what im buying with my tickets the new hover board!!!!!

bloo bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:46 AM   #18
Vicks
At Home

Going based on appearance of speed, to me, it didn't look like the hover board went any faster than the skateboard.

I've got the skateboard and one of my daughters has the Lauren costume. To me, it just seems like the Lauren goes faster than my skateboard. Of course it could be optical illusion, it could really be faster, or just in my mind that it is. I really thought the costumes wouldn't increase speed at all, just because they are for looks, not something that would lead us to think of it making us go faster. I kinda don't even like them.

I'm still on the fence as to whether there is a speed difference between the different objects or not. At first I really thought the pogo was faster than just walking. I mean, it honestly LOOKED like it did. And I do think they do aid you 'some.' I'm just not too sure that there really is a difference in speeds between the objects, though. There may be some, but it's very slight. However, even if there is a difference, is it even significant? I highly doubt it is. Like Divelucaya said, what is a second or even fractions of a second going to really do in helping you in the game to get places faster? Not a whole lot.

It's nice that we have them though!
~Vicks
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
pukapop
Newly Abandoned
I like choco-late milk.  

My advice, skip the skateboard and go straight for the new hoverboard. It's pretty much as fast as the pogo-stick, but it doesn't vanish on you... the only problem is it costs 100 tickets.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #20
Tagteam
Newly Abandoned
there is no innocence in war.... only low priority targets  

by getting the 1 score on time flies for lvl 1 and 2 you get 100 tickets enough to buy the hover board (50 tickets each lvl)
Tagteam is offline   Reply With Quote