Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

View Poll Results: Was GWH worth all the hype? Grade the movie.
A 85 78.70%
B 18 16.67%
C 5 4.63%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2006, 05:50 AM   #91
bloonuggets
Take a bow, Bloo. You deserve it.

FHfIF: 8/11/04 - 5/3/09  

Don't worry, Sparky's gonna have the stills up real soon.

Thank you Craig for the ride. We all will miss you.

bloonuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:01 AM   #92
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleLatte View Post
I taped it and watched it twice. Loved it. Though I was a little (just a little) disappointed that Wilt's creator wasn't a girl. All in all, the theories weren't too far off from Wilt having been a role model and a fatherly figure to this little boy. He even called his creator "my boy", making Wilt sound even more fatherly than your typical IF, which I found irresistibly sweet. And the part were he holds the crying little IF and comforts her? Two words: father material. ;3 I'm definitely getting up early tomorrow to catch the rerun!

I didn't get that either. :3

Again, that didn't work for me either. The amputated arm? Okay. But losing his eye in the manner he did didn't exactly strike me as predetermined for the character. It just seemed more convinient than realistic. Same thing I keep wondering: how does an eye go about becoming bent and plastic-like from getting bludgeoned with a basketball? I didn't quite buy into it, either, though the concept tugged at the heartstrings, definitely.

Another thing that'll probably keep me up all night: Exactly what kind of Spanish do Nina and Eduardo speak? Some of their conversations left me scratching my head and I constantly wondered if Nina's use of words might have been slang from other Latin countries. Pollo duro, which actually translates to "hard chicken", could either be (unsuccesfully) trying refer to "tough chicken", in which case it would have been gallina; unless the word pollo duro holds a different meaning in another Spanish-speaking country. Eduardo's and Nina's conversations were a horrible mish-mash of English and Spanish that it was just hard to follow and understand without the captions on. Even then, much of what they said hardly made sense to me.
The only thing that bears any true resemblance to the Spanish Mexicans speak is Eduardo's reference to pesos (the currency used in Mexico) in "Emancipation Complication."
I don't get the eye part, either. An eyeball often will atrophy back into the socket long after a serious injury, but it usually swells first due to blood vessels breaking inside. That would not explain how it becomes artificial-like with a rattly "pupil", though since the pupil isn't a solid object but a hole, or aperture, into the eye. The arm I can understand; with that many breaks it would have been impossible to set properly even if Wilt had gotten immediate medical attention, which he probably didn't. Back in those days, they didn't have some of the medical advances that allow doctors to salvage badly-broken limbs today. Still, with fractures that bad, and that numerous, the main arteries would have seriously crimped, shutting of the blood supply to the arm. You don't wanna know what would have happened afterwards, but suffice it to say that Wilt would have wound up one very sick dude. Sorry for being so graphic, but I've done volunteer work at a vet's, so I'm pretty familiar with how such injuries progress.

pitbulllady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomalhaut View Post
Okay... since I won't see this movie for ages, I have read the spoilers.
FINALLY! Though I have written a fanfic about this as well, I'm happy they have proved all those violent, angsty or worse ones wrong!
Well, what happened to Wilt WAS violent; I mean, when Larry(who has to weigh close to half a ton)falls on Wilt's arm, you can literally hear the bones snapping and crunching and see the look of agony and shock on Wilt's face. It's not gory and bloody, but it was pretty rough to watch, especially knowing that Larry INTENDED to hurt Wilt in one way or another, to keep him and his boy from winning, and felt no remorse about it, either. It may not have been the result of abuse by his creator(furtherest thing from it, thankfully), but you cannot get any more angsty that Wilt running off, badly injured, but thinking nothing of his own safety and well-being, only that he'd let down the most important person in the world to him, and was too ashamed to face him, and that little boy blaming himself for what happened to Wilt, making HIM too ashamed to go and look for him.

I still am reeling from this movie-could barely sleep last night at all! It did prove one of my far-out theories correct though, and that was the father-son relationship between Wilt and his creator. As someone pointed out, Wilt does not even speak of Jordan as his "creator", but refers to him as "my boy" and "my kid", in the exact same way a father would refer to his son. Jordan never talks down to Wilt as though he's inferior in any way, but jokes around with him and treats him as a respectable adult, acknowledging Wilt's decisions. Although nothing was ever mentioned of Jordans' real father, it would not be surprising if he was absent, possibly deceased, and the kid subconciously created this wonderful being not only to show him how to play basketball, but to be that missing father-to show him how to be a better person, as he puts it, which is what fathers ought to do. That end credit scene, hilarious as it was, just reinforced that notion that even though Jordan is older by a few years, Wilt still thinks of him as his son(and still a little kid-parents and grandparents never can quite accept that their baby has grown up).

By the way, did anyone catch the voice credits? I swear that the long-haired guy in jail, the one in the middle, sounded an awful lot like Larry the Cable Guy.

pitbulllady

Last edited by Cassini90125; 12-11-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Long overdue merging of back-to-back posts.
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #93
TraverseTown
Settling In

Available Now for only 79 easy payments of $4.99!  

I din't like this movie very much. The beginning was good though.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #94
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraverseTown View Post
I din't like this movie very much. The beginning was good though.

Can you at least bother to EXPLAIN why you didn't like it?

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:47 AM   #95
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

I thought that this was a really really really good movie. I only wish that it was longer than an hour.

I think GWH had a good balance of heartwarming scenes and humor. I gasped out loud when Wilt's arm was crushed. But I do have one question: how did Wilt get the scars on his face? They never really showed that.

Eduardo and Nina's relationship was sooo cute! It's so nice to see that his creator still cares for him, even though she had to give him up way back when.

I don't even have the time right now to talk about everything I wanted to from this movie. But I'm giving it an A, of course.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #96
"C" the Dragon
Foster's Legend
...and be amazed by it's powerful flames! Roar!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Light View Post
But I do have one question: how did Wilt get the scars on his face? They never really showed that.
My guess is that he tripped and fell onto some broken glass, but I could be wrong.
"C" the Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #97
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post

pitbulllady
Yes, explain please.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #98
TraverseTown
Settling In

Available Now for only 79 easy payments of $4.99!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post

pitbulllady
I think that the "group" that was looking for Wilt was far to large in order for everyone to get their fair share of lines and such. It was very well written, but Bloo ruined the feeling that they were trying to convey. I was really looking foward to it and I don't hate it, but it fell a little short of what I though it would be like.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:07 AM   #99
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Default LONG REVIEW

Five words: "Too Good For A Review". But I'll try.

SUMMERY
This movie proved to be the BEST movie in the history of the television...maybe even movie history as well! We find out what happened to Wilt, and now, I love him (AS FAMILY, DANGIT) even more than I had. Learning that Wilt's creator, Jordan Michaels, (is that how it's spelled?) wanted to become as good a player as his older brother, thus making Wilt real.

BEGINNING
Wilt all tense and uncomfortable, not wanting to talk about his creator. Aww.

Jeez, if Wilt can wake up Bloo, then Wilt must've been LOUD. XD

Even on a journey, Wilt is always lending a helping hand (even if he's only got one), just look how he helped Floofy Woogums (the pink teddy-bear IF)! And being pulled into a group hug...aww.

"Cwissmith? I mean, Christmas? But that was months ago!" -Wilt

And helping out that farmer caused Wilt to miss his train. Oops.

MIDDLE
Wilt, again, lending a helping hand. Mowing lawns. Geez, later on they stretched the truth. Golden lawnmover? PAH. The thing was rusted up. He remembers a little of his past, back when he was whole - and he didn't look a little, um, disturbing, because we're used to seeing him as he is today - and his creator, back then, had an AFRO. XDDD But aww, Wilt was no different than he is today - nice, encouraging, father-like, and then competitive around "The most important game of my boy's life". Which I'll talk about later on.

One time gets him into trouble with the police. XDD

"You're under arrest for assistance in burglery!" -Police

I loved how Wilt just let out a bit of his past to total strangers, to jailbirds, of all people.

Wilt: I crushed-
Jailer: His foot?
Wilt: No. I crushed his dreams.

NEAR ENDING
Dun-dun-dun! The good part comes on, the rematch. Slow motion and in an angle as Wilt walks into the BBall court. SLOW MOTION. XDD

When Foul Larry was messing Wilt, Wilt did show a hint of sadness or hurt, yet kept a deturmined look, or a "stiff upper-lip".

"Why don't you PROVE it, if THAT'S ok?" -Wilt

Even if Wilt is supposed to be angry and deturmined, he still is polite about it, saying "Sorry, but I had to take care of things first,". Foul Larry is nasty, calling Wilt a shortie!

"You scared...shortie?" -Foul Larry

Wilt's face sure says "Bring it ON". And sure, Wilt is winning...at first. I think that Wilt did win, because Larry was cheating by throwing/tripping/just plain treating Wilt like a ragdoll. And cheaters NEVER win. As much as Wilt kept getting hurt, he never started fighting back like Larry was. Wilt just kept getting back up and following the rules. Though pausing a few times, he never gave up, he never backed out. He was no quiter.

Though, as he pauses one time, he remembers...when he lost his arm and eye. Even back then, he never gave up. Still being as good as he is now at BBall when he was whole. Then, risking his left arm to save his boy, and the BBall ruined his left eye...ow. But Wilt never paid any attention to the pain he must've felt, only thinking how he had let his boy down.

But...BACK TO REALITY.

Stats: Larry's going for a slam!
Wilt: A slam! *gulp*
Stats: He's going to win!

Even knowing what could happen to him, Wilt had to try to block it. Before Wilt could "go SPLAT" against the wall, someone saves him - Jordan.

As it turns out, Wilt feels that his creator would never forgive him, because he had lost...again.

"I lost. I can't believe I lost again. Now he'll never forgive me." -Wilt

But the tables are turned (fortunately) and Jordan does still care about him, especially when he told what had happened when Wilt disappeared.

"It wasn't until Stats had told me, long afterward, 'bout your arm and eye...it was all my fault. I looked everywhere for you, but you had disappeared. Losing taught me an important thing, that winning wasn't everything. I had created you to make me a better player, but instead, made me a better person. Wilt, you're the best friend I ever had, you've got to stop saying you're sorry, it's not ok...ok?" -Jordan Michaels

Seriously, I loved that part. Especially when Wilt grinned, said "Ok!" and hugged his creator...cue the big fat "AWWW", people. Cue it, I demand you!

ENDING
Back at Foster's, "the 'hood" IFs start living there. Even Larry. Though I'm not sure if Wilt and him are going to still treat each other as rivals, or if they had bonded a friendship. Who knows?

Before Jordan leaves, Wilt and him play basketball...aww. Old pals. Except when Wilt keeps scoring. I SWEAR, even if Wilt is apologising every time, he's doing it on purpose. I SWEAR it.

"Why'd I make you so tall?" -Jordan

CREDITS
LOL! Wilt the BBall dad! (pun of "Soccer moms")

"Oh, come on, that was a FOUL!"
"This isn't a contacting sport, people!"
"Come on, brake it up, brake it up." -Wilt
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #100
"C" the Dragon
Foster's Legend
...and be amazed by it's powerful flames! Roar!  

I took it that you enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed it!
"C" the Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote