Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Humans

Notices

Humans Discuss the main human characters: Mac, Frankie, Madame Foster, Goo, Terrence, and Mom.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #91
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
Putting aside my personal feelings on Frankie, I very much understand why you'd feel worse for Mac. Frankie is an adult, and a very strong and responsible one at that. Mac may be mature for his age, but he's still a child, he's very decent and well-meaning, and he didn't AT ALL deserve to go through what he did in episodes like FGTE and IOHSFY.

I guess that's why I'm really hoping "Emancipation Complication" next week isn't a disappointment. Both Mac and Frankie have earned the right to shine after all the abuse they're put through.
I agree wholeheartedly; it's about time both got a spotlight of some sort and, actually in that respect, I feel Frankie REALLY deserves one. At least there have been moments where Mac has gone through some kind of tribulation and earned something by the end of it; I don't really think Frankie has gotten that. The only one that comes immediately to mind is the House President episode (I forgot the name, hopefully you all know what I'm talking about) which Frankie rightly won yet turned out to be a bittersweet and, eventually, pointless victory that she gave back to Herriman. Off topic, I know, but damn, if any of the human characters deserve a chance to shine, it's Mac and Frankie, and hopefully Emancipation Complication will due that, and without the interference of Goo (God bless 'er, I love the character, but they need to lay off; she's been used too much as a deus ex machina that gets in the way of the actual two main human characters, that being Frankie and Mac).

One thing I have always wanted to see, and one of the things that has let me down, has been more Mac/Frankie interaction. I mean this on a brother/sister level of course, as the idea of them as a romantic item, no matter how much further in time it has been, bothers me to no end. A brother/sister relationship, however, I've always imagined them forming, and this has yet to really happen, at least in my opinion, which is a shame as it would make a good deal of sense. Mac, after all, has no real adult figure he can look up to: his mother is almost always absent, and Terrence is viewed completely as an antagonist by him. You'd think, therefore, a figure would eventually fill in this apparent void, and the most likely person to do so would probably end up being Frankie.

Of course, I could just be overanalyzing the situation.

And babbling, of course.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #92
Voxxyn
Banned

I think you make great points. I doubt the writers will have a full blown brother/sister relationship between the two; I think their relationship in the show is more or less played off by their unofficial status as the voices of reason at Foster's. (Wilt and Mr. Herriman come close; but Wilt is a tad fragile and lacks the spine to stick up for himself, and Herriman seems to be extremely out-of-touch with the outside world)

BUT I, too, would definitely love to see the ocassional team-up and instances of friendship and compassion. There's been some so far, of course; but I think "Emancipation Complication" has a lot of potential in this regard.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #93
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I totally agree. Mac and Frankie are the sweetest, most level headed and in a sense, the real glue that holds everything together, even more so then Mr. Herriman I would say. Frankie and Mac get along really well and Frankie has made several connections with Mac's understanding power.

Like at the mall in "Store Wars" saying he's the voice of reason, playing along with her candy game for Cheese in "The Big Cheese", and actually helping Frankie out with all her paperwork in "Frankie my Dear". The 2 are so cute together and they get along very well.

I definitely agree that they both deserve some time to shine together. I hope this episode is gonna deliver this, Mac and Frankie turn out to be a better team then at first glance. He even helped Frankie break out of her giggle fit over Mr. Herriman's embarassing footage with "World Wide Wabbit".

They are both kind, caring, and very likeable characters that deserve a chance to do more on screen as the focus rather then taking a backseat to Bloo or any other character. Not to bash Bloo or anyone else who's been in the limelight, but I think Frankie and Mac's moment together is long over due.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #94
Nathander

Hairgel!  

Quote:
I think their relationship in the show is more or less played off by their unofficial status as the voices of reason at Foster's. (Wilt and Mr. Herriman come close; but Wilt is a tad fragile and lacks the spine to stick up for himself, and Herriman seems to be extremely out-of-touch with the outside world)
Oh, I agree entirely, and while it's important to have roles that act as the voice of sanity, it's unfortunate that many times, especially recently, those are the ONLY roles the two play. Mac and Frankie are two of the main characters of the show, for Pete's sakes. And I agree with you as to why Wilt and Herriman wouldn't work, which is unfortunate as their could be times they could use them as back ups for the whole "voices of reason" thing while allowing Mac and Frankie to do something else (again, along with having won victories, Mac has genuinely been allowed to break from his mold more often; I think Frankie has, what, once maybe in "Frankie My Dear"?)

Quote:
Mac and Frankie are the sweetest, most level headed and in a sense, the real glue that holds everything together, even more so then Mr. Herriman I would say.
Again, I agree completely. However, how much does Herriman really hold together? I mean, I love the character, and while his supervision of the house obviously makes it so that it does run smoothly, think about how many times he's done something based off his own compulsions and interests, such as the whole carrot thing and his regression in "Camp Keep a Good Mac Down"? He also tends to be highly paranoid, as we've seen in "Who Let the Dogs In", where he was certain that people were letting dogs in for the sole purpose of killing him (it was also this episode that made me love Herriman, just as an off topic fact). So while I think Herriman does hold things together to a degree, I think there are times were he tears them apart at an equal rate.

Quote:
Like at the mall in "Store Wars" saying he's the voice of reason, playing along with her candy game for Cheese in "The Big Cheese", and actually helping Frankie out with all her paperwork in "Frankie my Dear". The 2 are so cute together and they get along very well.

I definitely agree that they both deserve some time to shine together. I hope this episode is gonna deliver this, Mac and Frankie turn out to be a better team then at first glance. He even helped Frankie break out of her giggle fit over Mr. Herriman's embarassing footage with "World Wide Wabbit".
Exactly. Like Voxxyn said, and the examples you've given, there have been times where they've shown a working relationship between the two. I just wish the writers would take the time to expand on this, though it's unlikely they'll do it to that great an effect, despite my fervent desire to see it.

Quote:
They are both kind, caring, and very likeable characters that deserve a chance to do more on screen as the focus rather then taking a backseat to Bloo or any other character. Not to bash Bloo or anyone else who's been in the limelight, but I think Frankie and Mac's moment together is long over due.
Again, this is what has always bothered me. The two of them have been here since the beginning, and yet they're apparently being phased out at times, Frankie moreso than Mac. And while Frankie's phasing out really does disturb me, Mac's does even more so, due to the fact that he and Bloo were basically always touted as the true main characters of the show. This isn't to say I don't want to see the other characters; far from it, in fact. I'd just like to see more of Mac, and it would be nice to see him develop a little brother/big sister relationship with Frankie, but I'd especially like to see him and Bloo being friends more often.

Honestly, am I the only one bothered by the fact that Bloo and Mac are apparently becoming more and more hostile towards one another? Well, maybe hostile isn't the right word, but it's obvious they're beginning to grate on one another much more often, and there have been too few episodes recently where they're just being buddies, such as in Squeeze the Day. I'd love to see more episodes like Squeeze the Day, I really, really would. And while it's not uncommon for best friends to fight with one another........the number of arguments Mac and Bloo have been getting in recently is insane.

ANyway, hopefully they'll focus on Mac and Frankie for Emancipation Complication like they're saying, and have Goo sit this episode out.

--Sorry kid, I love ya, but you've gotta stop coming around so often......
Old 11-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #95
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

Send a message via AIM to BlooCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post
Honestly, am I the only one bothered by the fact that Bloo and Mac are apparently becoming more and more hostile towards one another? Well, maybe hostile isn't the right word, but it's obvious they're beginning to grate on one another much more often, and there have been too few episodes recently where they're just being buddies, such as in Squeeze the Day. I'd love to see more episodes like Squeeze the Day, I really, really would. And while it's not uncommon for best friends to fight with one another........the number of arguments Mac and Bloo have been getting in recently is insane.
No, no, you're not alone. I, too, would like to see more moments like those from Squeeze the Day. C'mon, Mac and Bloo. You only get to see each other a few hours daily, so don't waste your precious time arguing.

But then again, Mac and Bloo's fights show how strong their friendship is. They can argue with each other time and time again and still be each other's best friend.

But then again, that would be like those girls at my school who get into little scrawly cat fights every day and refuse to talk to each other. Then the next day, it's like, "I'M SO SORRY! WAAAAAH!"

Anyway, Mac and Bloo share a friendship that is like no other.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #96
Nathander

Hairgel!  

I agree that their friendship is like few others, and different from most of the others on the show, and I attribute that partially to the role Mac tries to take on himself with regards to Bloo, that being that he also wants to be a "father figure" to Bloo. What I mean by that is the fact that Mac is the one constantly trying to teach Bloo what's right and wrong when Bloo's doing something wrong (that is, being Bloo). While I'm certain that other kids occasionally do this as well, I've always felt that Mac does it more than most others, though whether this is his own personality or just because of who Bloo is is uncertain.

And that's the thing: while Bloo obviously needs someone to set him straight at times, I'd like to see Mac get to act like a kid more often like he did in the first season and in Squeeze the Day. I kind of would have liked to see him loosen up in Bus the Two of Us, but I can kind of understand why that didn't happen.

Honestly, though, they need more episodes of Bloo and Mac hanging out as the main story with a possible B-Plot.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #97
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

Send a message via AIM to BlooCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post
I kind of would have liked to see him loosen up in Bus the Two of Us, but I can kind of understand why that didn't happen.
I think I can understand why. Imagine you're an eight-year-old kid, and you're flying down the freeway with a blue blob who can barely see over the steering wheel. Neither of you have a license, and you know that at any moment, something awful could happen.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #98
Nathander

Hairgel!  

And several times, nearly did. Still, it always gets me when Mac tells Bloo that running from the cops was the best idea he had all day. That, and the scene where Mac was playing with that toy car in the playground. That was just adorable.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #99
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I think all in all Bloo does need to tone down torturing Mac if you will. Bloo puts Mac through alot of hell, even though they remain buddies in the long run. Bloo barely has to worry anout anything because he's careless 90% of the time.

Mac however has lots of things to worry about, including home life, school life, and everything else any logical person would worry about. And while I agree they have a powerful bond, it would be nice to SEE more of that bond rather then Bloo stressing Mac out all the time.

And see MUCH LESS of Mac bashing episodes like "I only have surprise for you". That just took Bloo's pranking to a whole new dirty level, and that episode really upset me in alot of ways. I found it totally unfair to Mac.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #100
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

It was more amusing that IHFMUP but after a few viewings, I've lost some of the heart of it: it has it's good points but really it's just Mac going through a lot of trouble.

I do understand Bloo, though; I was like him as a small kid, but, much more whiny. I'm surprised I still have friends!

I don't think Camp Keep A Good Mac Down was anti-Mac; that was just dealing with Bloo being Bloo, but where they couldn't afford it.

Also Mac doesn't always have the moderator role. There are plenty of times in which he's just a kid; and some where he snaps and others where he goes nuts... But, actually, watching the times he's left to go nuts on his own really shows how good of a kid he is. His idea of being evil is jumping on a bed? His prank phone call is "this is a joke"?

His behavior in Go Goo Go is kinda odd though; he snaps, but even I, with my tendency towards whinyness never snapped like that as a kid. I mean, I got angry enough to impale my parents with a pike but never actually did it. I usually just went to my room and stared at a wall until it went away.
Kzinistzerg is offline   Reply With Quote