Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

To paraphrase one Batholomew J Simpson

It appears to me that Cartoon Network is trying to catch up with the other networks by going slower then them.

I say this because of the part of the article when they talk about when Nickelodeon and Disney both gave up on the whole reality show thing because they themselves because they couldn't compete with already established ones.

Last edited by taranchula; 08-20-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: It sounded more profound when posted at 6 in the morning.
taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

CN has been shooting themselves in the foot with their "six seasons limit" thing, and the way that they treated their most popular and most financially-successful series is a crying shame, so it really does not hurt my feelings to see them go down. It sounds like they're trying to become Spike TV for teen boys...oh, joy. Hopefully Craig and Lauren will wind up with Disney/Pixar.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

I'm a teen boy & I don't find any of the reality crap entertaining. Though, the only one that's close to entertaining is the quiz show. Atleast I have Chowder, Flapjack & Star Wars.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Bloo View Post
At least I have Chowder, Flapjack & Star Wars.
For the moment, anyway.

Quote:
This week, the network will premiere two reality shows, "Bobb'e Says" and "Dude, What Would Happen." In "Bobb'e Says," teen actor Bobb'e J. Thompson dispenses advice on how to stay out of trouble. "Dude, What Would Happen" asks the tough questions, such as: If one filled a van with popcorn kernels and set it on fire, what would happen?
Wow, these look promising.

Has anybody heard anyone say that CN's new approach is a good idea? I haven't. I would love to know who did the research and why the nitwits think this will work. It's a serious turn-off as far as I'm concerned.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

No I've never heard anyone said it was a good idea. I've also never heard anyone say airing that stupid cartoon on speed "Johnny Test" all the time is a good idea either.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #16
taranchula

Quote:
No I've never heard anyone said it was a good idea. I've also never heard anyone say airing that stupid cartoon on speed "Johnny Test" all the time is a good idea either.
True, but as bad as it is at least Johnny Test still fills the basic qualifications that make up a "cartoon" and therefore belongs on a "Cartoon Network" granted not as much as it should be, but once the powers that be come to their collective senses they'll find a more quality cartoon to take it's time slot(s).

Old 08-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
L.G.
Melvineer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranchula View Post
True, but as bad as it is at least Johnny Test still fills the basic qualifications that make up a "cartoon" and therefore belongs on a "Cartoon Network" granted not as much as it should be, but once the powers that be come to their collective senses they'll find a more quality cartoon to take it's time slot(s).
I tried to sit down and watch Johnny Test, but ehhh...no. Just not happening. Hopefully, something better does come along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
CN has been shooting themselves in the foot with their "six seasons limit" thing, and the way that they treated their most popular and most financially-successful series is a crying shame, so it really does not hurt my feelings to see them go down. It sounds like they're trying to become Spike TV for teen boys...oh, joy. Hopefully Craig and Lauren will wind up with Disney/Pixar.

pitbulllady
I've never liked that six season limit. It's as if the people in charge of CN are afraid one of their shows will become stale if it's in production for too long (similar to what has become of the Simpsons)...unlikely, but anything's possible.

CN was supposed to be my happy place when every other channel is reality show heavy, contains sitcoms with the stupid laugh track (which kills a show's supposed humor if you ask me), or has shows geared toward only pre-teens and teens. Not anymore. Youtube is my happy place now with funnier content such as youtube poop (basically random humor).

Cartoon Network with programming other than cartoons and anime is not really a cartoon network anymore.
L.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #18
taranchula

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.G. View Post

CN was supposed to be my happy place when every other channel is reality show heavy, contains sitcoms with the stupid laugh track (which kills a show's supposed humor if you ask me), or has shows geared toward only pre-teens and teens. Not anymore. Youtube is my happy place now with funnier content such as youtube poop (basically random humor).

Cartoon Network with programming other than cartoons and anime is not really a cartoon network anymore.
Now there's a damning indictment of the current state of CN if there ever was one, it's gotten so bad that it causing some of it's loyal fans to turn to wacky edited footage of obscure video game cut scenes and the like for their source of entertainment.

And the live action programming infecting all toon channels phenomenon is starting to spread to Canada as well, as Teletoon is debuting some tween show that wouldn't look out of place on Nick or Disney, this fall. Granted they said it's supposed to be live action/animated, but from the brief clip they showed. (I was waiting for Chowder to come on, shut up. ) There was little to no animation to be found at all.

I mean really they had to put this on Teletoon? Canada already has a youth oriented channel for shows like that YTV.

I think I should stop now, before my blood boils so much it causes steam to shoot out of my nose.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
BluebottleFlyer
Foster's Legend

Bug/monster/snowman/surfer creator at work  

Location: Connecticut, USA (originally from County Durham, UK)
Send a message via Skype™ to BluebottleFlyer

C. McC has left CN? That's news to me... Then again, reading what's been said about the current state of CN, I can't really blame him.
I personally feel that the success of reality TV (I have better words for it, but I'm not going to type them here) is the root cause of the toon channels going down the pan...once Big Brother et al got huge and made the profits, it was only a matter of time before this type of junk seeped onto pretty much all types of channel.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
taranchula

It's not bad in itself that CN is doing reality TV, it's just the fact that they are taking already established reality concepts like Mythbusters and Survivor and just trying to "Kidify" them that gets me, if I were a kid I would be thinking "Now why would I want to watch a cheap knock off, when I can see the real deal?"

Given the ratings I think a lot of kids also seem to be thinking the same way too.

I mean if they wanted to do a reality show, why not do one about, oh I don't know "Animation", it could be something simple like two groups of young art students are both given a chance to make their own animated short, both shorts are judged by a panel of the top names in the field and the winning team gets their short played on the network and a scholarship to an animation program.

There, an idea that potentially could be fun and combines the best of both worlds. But what do I know? I'm not a high powered executive...yet.

Last edited by taranchula; 08-23-2009 at 06:46 PM.