PDA

View Full Version : Path of Truth: The First

antgirl1
02-23-2008, 10:07 AM
no absolutely not.

again i wish i could purge threads but this is the best i can do.

Sparky
02-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I fixed the typo in the title. Yeah I *hate* when I make a typo in a title on another vBulletin, you can't fix it and it makes you feel stupid. :P I wish more mods would go ahead and fix those for people, especially when asked. But apparently most of them don't think its necessary. But I felt your pain. ;)

Cassini90125
02-23-2008, 11:48 AM
I fixed the typo in the title. Yeah I *hate* when I make a typo in a title on another vBulletin, you can't fix it and it makes you feel stupid. :P I wish more mods would go ahead and fix those for people, especially when asked. But apparently most of them don't think its necessary. But I felt your pain. ;)

Hold it a moment... you do want us to edit and fix typo's in thread titles? :D

Sparky
02-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Hold it a moment... you do want us to edit and fix typo's in thread titles? :D

Um...if the original poster wants you to. You don't need to worry about it if they don't seem to care. Why, did I refuse to do it once for someone? :( If I did I'm sorry. Unless it was because the typo was really, really amusing...Or the poster was annoying. :cheese:

Cassini90125
02-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Actually, I was considering an extended trip to the Spam section tonight, gleefully correcting capitalization and turning "peple" into "people". 8D

Oh, AG1: intruguing idea. :)

pitbulllady
03-03-2008, 02:09 AM
So far pretty good, though I've got one little suggestion; in nearly half a century of living here, having traveled to every corner of the state, and been around children of various racial and socio-economic backgrounds, I've never, not once-heard a child in South Carolina refer to his/her female parent as "Mom". Most kids here, regardless of their background, call their female parent "Mama", although some still use "Ma", and a few of the modern smart-alecky kids will call their mother by her actual name out of disrespect, but never "Mom".

pitbulllady

Howard
03-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Very good story, and I like the setting. I was stationed in Charleston at the Naval station. I know that and the weapons station up the Cooper River are closed down now. We rented a house out in Goose Creek. This story bring back some memories there.:frankiesmile:

pitbulllady
03-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Very good story, and I like the setting. I was stationed in Charleston at the Naval station. I know that and the weapons station up the Cooper River are closed down now. We rented a house out in Goose Creek. This story bring back some memories there.:frankiesmile:

It was a real blow to the whole state when they shut down that Naval Station and the AFB in Charleston. I've been through Goose Creek many times through the "back way" to Charleston(less traffic, more to see than on I-95 & I-26). I knew as soon as I heard Wilt speak in the first-ever episode of Foster's I ever saw that he was either from the New Orleans area, or from the SC Low Country. The accent isn't as strong as someone who's been there all their life(30 years is a long time to be away from home, after all, and the Pacific Northwest is about as different as you can get...well, maybe the upper Midwest is more different, but still), but it's still there. When I saw GWH, though, I immediately recognized the inner city area of Charleston near where I-26 and Highway 17 intersect, right there on the Ashley River, having gotten lost there a few times and passed through it many times on my way to the Historic District or the SC Aquarium. Even some of my fourth and fifth grade students, who have relatives that live there, recognized it and were all-too-happy to share that revelation with me when we returned to class that following Monday, lol! That culture in that area is unique, and difficult to "capture" in writing if you've never been there, so I applaud anyone for even trying. Still, kids anywhere in South Carolina would really look at another kid "funny" if they heard that kid refer to his "Mom", unless they knew he was from up North. If I'd done that as a child, my parents would probably have wondered if someone replaced me with a look-alike kid! We can be a whole different bunch of grapes down here, that's for certain.

pitbulllady

Howard
03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
It was a real blow to the whole state when they shut down that Naval Station and the AFB in Charleston. I've been through Goose Creek many times through the "back way" to Charleston(less traffic, more to see than on I-95 & I-26). I knew as soon as I heard Wilt speak in the first-ever episode of Foster's I ever saw that he was either from the New Orleans area, or from the SC Low Country. The accent isn't as strong as someone who's been there all their life(30 years is a long time to be away from home, after all, and the Pacific Northwest is about as different as you can get...well, maybe the upper Midwest is more different, but still), but it's still there. When I saw GWH, though, I immediately recognized the inner city area of Charleston near where I-26 and Highway 17 intersect, right there on the Ashley River, having gotten lost there a few times and passed through it many times on my way to the Historic District or the SC Aquarium. Even some of my fourth and fifth grade students, who have relatives that live there, recognized it and were all-too-happy to share that revelation with me when we returned to class that following Monday, lol! That culture in that area is unique, and difficult to "capture" in writing if you've never been there, so I applaud anyone for even trying. Still, kids anywhere in South Carolina would really look at another kid "funny" if they heard that kid refer to his "Mom", unless they knew he was from up North. If I'd done that as a child, my parents would probably have wondered if someone replaced me with a look-alike kid! We can be a whole different bunch of grapes down here, that's for certain.

pitbulllady

I know what you mean about the "mom" part. Louisiana (my father's side roots) they say "mama" as well. Come to think of it - all of the South is that way. I always heard "mama" unless it came out of the mouth of someone not from the region.:frankiesmile:

pitbulllady
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah I was hoping I'd avoid this obstacle...At first I was going to refer Charlotte as "Ma" but it just didn't feel right...I guess it comes with being a Northerner....=P

But still...If it's really THAT bad of an issue, I'll go into every chapter she had been in thus far and change it.

Sorry to be so particular, but when you've lived here in the South all your life, and you've spent some time in the Holy City, you just get a certain attachment. It's like when Hollywood usually tries to make a Southern movie, and everyone winds up talking like "Foghorn Leghorn", that horrific fake accent that makes any real Southerner's skin crawl! At least now, some Hollywood actors who aren't from the South, like Jason Lee, for instance, can finally get it right when it comes to a convincing Southern accent.

Still, though, the Low Country dialect heard in and around the Charleston area is very different from a real Southern accent, due to the huge numbers of cultures that went into that particular ethnic gumbo. The "Geechee" dialect is more properly classified as a "Creole" dialect, actually, with a lot of influence from West African, Caribbean and French languages and cultures.

One thing to keep in mind as you write is the deeply-rooted cultural concept of family. In Southern culture, but especially in the African-American Southern culture, the only thing stronger and more important than family was one's religious faith. Sorta like the Hawaiian concept of "O'hana", once you're accepted as a family member, whether or not you're related in any way, you're family for life. I really don't think Jordan would ever have had any reason to fear that his mama would have objected to his new Imaginary Friend. After her initial shock at seeing this tall red being wore off, she would have simply accepted him as if he were just another one of her kids-a really, really TALL kid, and Wilt most likely would have been expected to call her "Mama", too. She in turn most likely would have referred to him in the presence of company as her "baby", 10-feet tall or not, simply because he was the youngest. That's just how things are, or at least, how they were 32 years ago. A lot has changed, and not for the better, since then, with gangs and drugs and the break-down of that sense of family taking hold since that time. Still, when I got lost in the worst part of the Charleston ghetto(and that's what it is, an old inner-city ghetto)last March, the only reliable directions I got were from a couple of Crips, who were showing off their "colors", leaving no doubt that's what they were, and this is probably the only city where even the GANGSTAS can be helpful and polite!

pitbulllady

koosie
03-07-2008, 04:20 PM
xxx told me this was worth reading but I didn't know what to expect. Watching a new ep put me in the mood.

"Jeez, does he HAVE to say he's sorry every five seconds?" is probably what everyone thinks when they meet Wilt first time, bless him, so you can totally believe Jordan thinks it if indeed he was apologetic from the very beginning. I suppose he must have been because he's always naturally a little awkward until he's in his element; the basketball court.

Yeh the past-present link with Goo's mum and the creation of Stats was good too. Iwonderifthereisageneforfasttalking?

Yeh good stuff. Looking foward to part 5.

xxxClaire
06-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow, that was awesome! Definetly worth the wait. :D

pitbulllady
06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
It's easy to research Charleston, since it's one of the country's leading tourist destinations on the East Coast, and the second-oldest US city, after St. Augustine, FL. Here's a good site to check out: http://www.charleston.com/ . Just keep in mind that the part of the city where Jordan grew up, which is around Church and Meeting Street around what is now the I-26/US Hwy 17(King's Highway) interchange, is not a part of the city that tourists are encouraged to visit. The crime rate there is higher than in most parts of NYC, and most of the streets are one-way, so it's easy to get lost(Been There, Done That), and you can wind up in a whole lot of trouble FAST if you're not careful. This is probably the only place in SC where you can actually find honest-to-goodness Voodoo shops, though, and the SC Low Country form of Voodoo, called "Root Doctorin'" or "Workin' Roots", is still practiced here, as in New Orleans. Here's another good site: http://www.discovercharleston.com/
That picture at the top center of the homepage shows the Battery, or Battery Park, from the harbor. Be sure to click on "Tours" and if you click "Discover Charleston" on the left, you will see three small photos on the right; the center photo is Rainbow Row, part of which makes up Wilt's old neighborhood. If the pic was big enough, you'd be able to see the fanlights over the doors with the pineapples on them, even though this view if from the front, facing the main street, and you'd have to go through one of the homes to see the back lots behind them.

Someone(lol):D

KazooBloo
12-27-2016, 12:54 PM
I remember good old fanfiction.net.