Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #391
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I had some maintenance done on my car today, which gives me somewhat more ease in breathing. The biggest problem with my car has yet to be tended to, and I have no idea how much it will cost, but the $200 I spent today on it will help. I feel a little more comfortable driving it right now.

And I found a Wheat Penny from 1917 today!! I'm always thrilled to find a Wheat Penny from pre-1940, especially the 20s and teens!! Just think, in 1917, the First World War was still going on. Ladies still wore corsets. There was no radio yet. "Areoplanes" were only used for military and other official purposes. The Titanic sank only five years earlier. And it would be a whole 12 more years before the Great Depression would even start. So my new penny was minted, handled, and spent on things way back then. And it was touched by many people in my great-grandmother's time. Like these people!

(Pic is actually dated in 1917)

I just love that thought.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #392
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

That pic is beautiful, Lynnie. I particularly like the ladies' hats.
The oldest coin I ever found was from 1826 when the Railway was brand new technology, Texas belonged to Mexico and Japan had no contact with the west. Different world, eh?

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #393
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Thanks, I wish I could take credit for that picture, but I can't. I just did an image search for "1917" and that was my favorite of the results. I know, aren't the hats wonderful? Wide brims of the teens were still in. But the skirts were inching up and starting to look twenties. It was a fascinating era concerning fashion. The late 19-teens was an era in fashion commonly overlooked.

Did you really "find" that coin?? That's awesome if you did, and didn't buy it or trade for it or anything. All my coins I've found in circulation. The oldest one I have is another Wheat Penny from 1909. Ah, true Edwardian era! It's my pride and joy! My dad has some coins from the 1880s, although I'm not sure where he got them. I think they were passed onto him from his father, although his father likely bought or traded for them.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #394
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I made my first sale on Etsy.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #395
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I made my first sale on Etsy.

Cool! Selling things rules, esp if they're something you've created.

As for my 1826 Penny, yeh I found it, though I can't remember where as I must have been very young. Probably scrambling around in the dirt as usual Actually it would be hard not to find it as it's enormous. It must be at least 4cm in diameter.

Aw....Snicket
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #396
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

The New York Yankees won their 27th World Series.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #397
x_dummkoff_x
Riku

floccinaucinihilipilification  

Send a message via AIM to x_dummkoff_x Send a message via MSN to x_dummkoff_x Send a message via Yahoo to x_dummkoff_x

^^ I got my very first nendroid today!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #398
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

My ex-GF/roomie is moving out! I can live by myself again (like I have since I got out of the Navy). While I wished I had my old condo back, I can still live in this house (I own). Money will still be tight - but it will be good once again hopefully soon.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #399
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
My ex-GF/roomie is moving out! I can live by myself again (like I have since I got out of the Navy). While I wished I had my old condo back, I can still live in this house (I own). Money will still be tight - but it will be good once again hopefully soon.
Fair play to you, Howard. You're the boss of your own life and everything good flows out of that. Good luck on the money front too. Things sure are tough all over.

What made my day? Well it rained quite heavily today and though I got a bit wet out there it was really beautiful, especially when the sun was going down and the big towering blue clouds had this eerie dirty orange background. Now I'm dry and warm and it's time to go and make my ceremonial Friday curry. Nyum-nyum-nyum!

Aw....Snicket

Last edited by koosie; 11-06-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: there was more
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #400
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosie View Post
Fair play to you, Howard. You're the boss of your own life and everything good flows out of that. Good luck on the money front too. Things sure are tough all over.

What made my day? Well it rained quite heavily today and though I got a bit wet out there it was really beautiful, especially when the sun was going down and the big towering blue clouds had this eerie dirty orange background. Now I'm dry and warm and it's time to go and make my ceremonial Friday curry. Nyum-nyum-nyum!
Hey Koosie, ya gonna serve me up some of that fine curry? That would make my day - I love curry.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote