Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
BluebottleFlyer
Foster's Legend

Bug/monster/snowman/surfer creator at work  

Location: Connecticut, USA (originally from County Durham, UK)
Send a message via Skype™ to BluebottleFlyer
Default The Crystal Maze

Bit of a nostalgia trip here...anyone remember a show called "The Crystal Maze"? It was on in the early 90's:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Maze
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Who in Britain doesn't remember The Crystal Maze? It was always great to get home from school, sit back and watch a band of accountants and receptionists scrabble around an giant Aztec-themed jigsaw, or whatever, whilst Richard O'Brien sauntered around outside playing the harmonica and pretending to talk to his mother. If that sounds like a surreal idea for a game show, then you'd be right, but that was what was great about it.

Here's the ultimate nostalgia hit for you, from Channel 4's The Adam & Joe Show: it's The Crystal Maze - with Star Wars figures! (WARNING: Contains very strong language and scenes of Obi-Wan Kenobi as a drunkard from Newcastle.)

Last edited by Ditchy McAbandonpants; 05-01-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

(Next time BBF, try to post your own opinion of something instead of just basically asking other people to talk about it)

I have never heard of this, I'm pretty sure. I mean, I understand it's not American and all...plus I'm not really into "game" type programs. Still, it beats reality TV any day.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Oh heck yeah, I remember this. We had Crystal Maze puzzle books, the board game, everything.

Years later, it completely blew my mind when I finally put it together that the Richard O'Brien who presented the Crystal Maze and the Richard O'Brien who played RiffRaff in the Rocky Horror Picture Show were in fact the same person.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 05-01-2008 at 08:56 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
BluebottleFlyer
Foster's Legend

Bug/monster/snowman/surfer creator at work  

Location: Connecticut, USA (originally from County Durham, UK)
Send a message via Skype™ to BluebottleFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
(Next time BBF, try to post your own opinion of something instead of just basically asking other people to talk about it)

I have never heard of this, I'm pretty sure. I mean, I understand it's not American and all...plus I'm not really into "game" type programs. Still, it beats reality TV any day.
Sorry about that Sparky, bad habit of mine.

I liked the whole concept of the show (team of people running round different "zones" and trying to complete challenges without getting locked in the challenge chamber (safe to say 9 times out of 10 they'd get locked in, heh). Add to that Richard O' Brien, and it's pretty much a classic.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

BBF: You know, I forgot all about the whole "locking in" concept. To be honest, that was something I always wondered about: did they actually leave the failed contestants locked in the challenge chambers for the duration of the filming? If so, it seemed a pretty harsh punishment; those chambers, once you took away the superficial "Medieval Zone" mystique, were essentially just cheaply made-up little cells filled with papier-mache boulders, dingy little pools and fog machines. I'm sure it was all fun and games in there when you're racing against the clock to find the crystal with all your buds cheering you on, but I'm guessing it would start to seem pretty grim if you got locked in there for over an hour, at the scene of your own humiliating failure, with the unsolved puzzle sat right beside you, taunting you for your inadequacies. Did anyone ever go crazy on the show?

jj: Yeah, that was a watershed moment for me, too. "Richard O'Brien wrote a musical? About transvestites??" Then, having said that, he was kind of a weird guy; I guess it was par for the course.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Yeah, I remember this show too, although it probably never aired in Australia.

I have a sister who's currently living in LA and married, and years ago, she used to go on holidays in London. For souviners, she brought back tapes from the UK. One of the shows was The Crystal Maze. So, that's how I got to know that show. (And I STILL have those tapes today! )
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Another Castle
At Home

I loved this show, it was great, and I'd gladly watch it today, especially what with all the trash on ITV nowadays.

It's so cheesy, such a product of the 1990s, I miss that decade so bad!

I see Challenge are now showing it!

Alpha November Oscar Tango Hotel Echo Romeo
Charlie Alpha Sierra Tango Lima Echo
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Bloomin'ell! When was there a thread about The Crystal Maze? May 2008 obviously.

I liked Ed Tudor-Pole as a presenter too. He was in the band 'Tenpole Tudor' who made the delicious Swords of a thousand men.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote