Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #31
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

I mentioned that McGraw had been in several other movies before. I never debated that point. And, as I've said, I'm not attempting to say the theory I gave is fact: it's merely the way I think it could have worked in, due to the clues they give and Tarantino's own tendency to mess with the chronological order of his films.

And yes, there was a difference between the blather in Reservoir Dogs and Death Proof. While I'm not denying a lot of the talk in RD was at least somewhat relevant to the characters, there were a few conversations that didn't reveal anything. I'm also willing to let the conversations in "Death Proof" go since they were the kind of conversations you'd hear in 70s horror films like "Friday the 13th", where they'd just talk and talk about absolutely nothing.

As for the current point:

Spoiler Below
Personally, even if they did kill Mike, I kind of think the girls would have gotten away with it. They all appear fairly intelligent, despite Zoe's recklessness. Let's say that, after they kill Mike, they hide (possibly destroy/burn?) the body and leave the car. We also don't know if the Challenger was fully totalled, so while it's beaten to crap, it may still be functional. Let's go with the theory that it is functional. They take the car back up to the redneck and Lee. Most likely, they know they won't get away with this, so they pay for the car. Later, let's assume that the ditch/destroy the car. Therefore, all the evidence that remains of the crime is Mike's car.

Also, aside from this, while people saw the chase, we're never shown that they saw the "finale" of the episode where the girls beat the hell out of Mike. Therefore, they have no actual eye witnesses to what the girls look like. Without this, the only thing they'd have to go on would be the appearance of the car, and without the car they could have no chance of really identifying the culprits. While they could trace the car back to the original owner, they'd have to first have the license plates, something I kind of doubt any of the other drivers got a good look at.

Also, I still stand by the fact that I think Mike, if he were to survive, would be hesitant to speak to the cops. Again, as you've said, it would take the testimony of eye witnesses to work against him, which he never leaves. Unfortunately, this time he did. If he did survive and brings the charge against the girls, the girls could testify that he had been the aggressor. While the girls would still look bad for what they did, Mike would probably be worse off because (assuming the movie is in chronological order) he would have already been involved in the suspicious automobile-involved deaeth of five women previously. That being the case, I doubt the police wouldn't take some form of investigation into Mike.

Honestly, though, I do believe your theory holds more ground then mine. I'm simply stating that my initial interpretation of the events in the movie were that there was some form of interconnection, and the tendency of Tarantino and Rodriguez to mess with viewers minds.