Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Humans

Notices

Humans Discuss the main human characters: Mac, Frankie, Madame Foster, Goo, Terrence, and Mom.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #251
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Castle View Post
Also, I was just browsing these pages when somebody suggested that the name "Mac" can be short for "William". Really? I've never heard that before!
Yeah, it goes back to Victorian times I believe, or maybe before that. I don't remember the story, but I'm thinking there was a royal who's name was William and someone in his family/court called him "Mac" for some reason, the likes of which I can't remember. So "Mac" became a popular nick name for "William" after that. I'm trying to find proof of it online, but not having much luck. I do remember however being reminded of it at hearing Sheryl Crow's song "All I wanna do is have some fun!". There's a line where she's talking about a guy in a bar who "says his name is William". But she's sure it's actually "Bill, Billy, Mac, or Buddy." "Bill", "Billy", and "Buddy" are more common nicknames for "William", and she has "Mac" in there too, so I know I'm not the only one who's heard of that.

Edit: Ok, I think I may have found at least part of the story. Both "Mac" and "Buddy" are names guys would call other guys when they don't know they're names, especially 100+ years ago. They were also both used for young boys, because they meant "boy". They were interchangeable. "Buddy" is also a nickname for "William", so "Mac" may have been mistaken to be a part of that family as well.

Last edited by Lynnie; 01-03-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #252
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

The profile pic "theme of the week" over at Facebook right now is for it to be of your favorite character. I chose a picture of Mac. Of course! My friend Nigel (just like Numbah 1 on KND, hehe) has no idea who he is, and joked that he looks just like me. I played along, said he does, and also shared some basic info about him, and how much Mac and I have in common. Nigel responded with "And you both have a lot of hair!" That made me laugh. I'd never realized that before, but it's true! His is bushy, mine is long, but yes, we both do have a lot of hair.

Nigel added later that we even share the two little hairs on the top of our heads.

Last edited by Lynnie; 01-27-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #253
Another Castle
At Home

Herriman orders him to get it cut at the end of Let Your Hare Down- he has an adorable reaction!

I just saw your myspace page- I especially like your little shrine to the boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
I do remember however being reminded of it at hearing Sheryl Crow's song "All I wanna do is have some fun!". There's a line where she's talking about a guy in a bar who "says his name is William". But she's sure it's actually "Bill, Billy, Mac, or Buddy." "Bill", "Billy", and "Buddy" are more common nicknames for "William", and she has "Mac" in there too, so I know I'm not the only one who's heard of that.
That song was on my radio the other day! William is actually my first name- I've always known there is 'Will' 'Bill' and 'Billy'- but Mac?!

Alpha November Oscar Tango Hotel Echo Romeo
Charlie Alpha Sierra Tango Lima Echo
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #254
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Heh, thank you. I'm rarely there anymore though. It's kind of sad.

I kind of unintentionally dressed like Mac today. Khaki pants are part of the dress code for my job, and I wore a white waffle weave thermal top. I wanted to wear a t-shirt over the thermal because it just looks better that way, and while trying to decide which t-shirt to wear, I saw my Swiss flag t-shirt. The Swiss flag is red. The t-shirt is fairly new since my mom got it for me when she and my dad were in Europe last summer, so I had never worn the three together before. It did make my mundane day at work a little more bearable.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #255
carlito_cool
The Coolest Nerd

Im Cool, BayBay!  

Mac is really a cool person. My fave cartoon character.

carlito_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #256
Lucky
Settling In

I'M PIERRE'S GIRLFRIEND!  

I love that boy. I just do. Not in a fangirlish way, but yeah

Why?

1. He;s unique. I don't think I know another cartoon boy like him (okay, maybe the titular character of Hey Arnold! can be like him sometimes, not all the time). Mac just breaks the mold.

2. He's very sweet. He's not some mouthy kid in most cartoons. He has a really big heart

3. He's very under-appriciated. Most merchandise doesn't feature him on it. I remember being dissapointed when my parents gave me my Foster's b-day card when I trned thirteen and he wasn't on it (Frankie was on though )

4.I feel bad for him. He goes through so crap all the time. He needs a hug

5. He reminds me of myself

6. He's just so cute!

The cutest kid ever
----
http://www.youtube.com/user/kablamoi.../3/nLQ4tiMDm8U Check out my YT account!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #257
Another Castle
At Home

Do any Samurai Mac images exist? I've heard about this from another thread (I don't like Billy and Mandy BTW), but I'm intriged about this crossover. Can't find anything on the web

Alpha November Oscar Tango Hotel Echo Romeo
Charlie Alpha Sierra Tango Lima Echo
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #258
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

They sure do! Here ya go.

There was a picture posted on the forums here too, but I can't find it. It may have already been deleted (by the photo hosting sight, not the forum). But it was the same pic as this one.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #259
Lucky
Settling In

I'M PIERRE'S GIRLFRIEND!  

Quote:

There was a picture posted on the forums here too, but I can't find it. It may have already been deleted (by the photo hosting sight, not the forum). But it was the same pic as this one.
Aww!! That's so cute!

BTW, does anyone think that Mac is a little like Doug Funnie from Doug? Both are really sweet, sensitive, and shy kids, and both of them have friends who are colored blue

The cutest kid ever
----
http://www.youtube.com/user/kablamoi.../3/nLQ4tiMDm8U Check out my YT account!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #260
carlito_cool
The Coolest Nerd

Im Cool, BayBay!  

Quote:

very gOOd picture, my friend.

Jack < Mac (LOL)
Bloo > Aku (LOL)

carlito_cool is offline   Reply With Quote