Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
TraverseTown
Settling In

Available Now for only 79 easy payments of $4.99!  

Default Episodes: Your Say

This isn't like an awards thing, but I figured since the Episode Discussion Board on this new forum is ... dead-ish, I'd break the ice with this opinion based thread.

The list of catergories includes but is not limited to:

All-Around Worst/Best Episode
Your Favorite/Least Favorite Episode
Best/Worst Character-Based Episode
Best/Worst Written Episode
Best/Worst Animated Episode
Funniest/Least Funniest Episode
Best Tearjerker Episode

~Trav~

Best Episode: The Big Picture. It felt just awesome and mysterious. Everyone played a part...
Worst Episode: Bloo Done It. It felt hurried to me...and Bloo's a jerk!
Favorite Episode: Land of the Flea/Adoptcalypse Now
Least Favorite: Mac Daddy/Cookie Dough.
Best Written: Squeeze the Day. The timing did it...
Worst Written: I Only Have Surprised For You. It ended and I was still thinking about the scenario for an hour.

Last edited by TraverseTown; 08-20-2006 at 06:12 AM.
TraverseTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Voxxyn
Banned

Here are my choices, using my personal categories:

ALL-AROUND BEST: "World Wide Wabbit" ~ To this day, the high mark that all other episodes are to be judged by. I know not every single one will be as genius as this one, so I'm thankful that at least MOST are of high quality.

ALL-AROUND WORST: "When There's A Wilt, There's A Way" ~ You can criticize "Bendy" all you want, but at least nobody got abused physically or emotionally. This was completely unfunny, except Eduardo's appearance. And I'm sorry, but I hate it when the writers undermine their talent with lame "SHOCK'D! Oh, you were expecting a happy ending? OWNED, YOU LITTLE FANBOY!" endings like these.

PERSONAL FAVORITE: "Setting A President" ~ Unfortunately, this episode doesn't get the appreciation it deserves. I'll admit that it probably a tad more inconsistencies than is normal for a cartoon(Particulary Mac's flawed list of "Classic Bloo Antics", and Madame Foster's out-of-character apathy towards her IMAGINARY FRIEND leaving), but I'm just glad that they didn't make it "Imposter's Home II" or another instance of a third candidate "shockingly" beating out the first two.

It was a bold move to portray Frankie AND Herriman sympathetically, despite both of them being authority figures, in a mass-media climate where nearly all fictional authority figures are portrayed as being corrupt. It paid off greatly. This episode not only had some very funny moments, but it had genuine drama and heart, while still ensuring us that the beloved redhead/hare duo will clash in future episodes. It made me appreciate Herriman a lot more. And as for Frankie, she showed that she really does care about fairness and justice towards all the IFs--even the uptight rabbit that loves making her life hard. These two may be strict sometimes and may even take up the role of antagonists once in a while(Like in "Land of the Flea"), but it's obvious that they are both decent people who believe in Foster's cause(And they certainly would NEVER be as cruel as Madame Foster in FGTE) I'd love to see more episodes with a primary focus on their love/hate professional relationship, which are of the same quality and class as shown on this episode.

MOST HATED: "Imposter's Home For, Um... Make 'Em Up Pals" ~ Absolutely terrible, I'm sorry to say. I hated hated hated hated HATED this episode. To this day, even after the semi-redemption provided by "Setting A President", the very thought of "Imposter's" sours me to no end.

And with regards to Ms. Faust's defense on the ToonZone forums... I understand that not everything will please everybody despite their best efforts, but the episode basically played out as if they were intentionally out to upset Frankie's fanbase. And I agree that conflict is important, but I'm not so sure it applies here. "Conflict is necessary!" is a good argument to make if you're talking about, say, "Duchess of Wails" when it's Mac and Bloo vs. the very house that originally accepted them into their extended family. Conflict isn't the problem with "Imposter's", it's simply that they went too far. And to be honest, I have a problem with Ms. Faust's strawman-esque description of detractors as being "people who want everything to be roses and sunshine", because that certainly ain't me. Frankie's suffering is very entertaining when done right. Dedicating an entire episode solely to being completely cruel to a beloved character, at the hands of a jerk that even non-fans ended up hating, isn't. Not at all.

FUNNIEST MOMENT: Anything Herriman's hilarious, funky side is shown. That should be obvious.

MOST PAINFUL MOMENT: The ending to IHFU...MEUP. It broke my heart more than the endings to Bambi, Star Trek II and Super Metroid combined. I don't think I've ever wanted to transport myself into a fictional world so I could make things right this badly.

The ending to "Foster's Goes To Europe" is a very close second. I really felt for poor Mac. My respect for Madame Foster is still yet to recover from what she did here. The only redeeming value, aside from the entire episode subtly showing how classy Frankie really is, is that at least Eurotrish gets to return to her homeland--but even that is ruined by the others being mean to her in the credits. Grrrr.

FAVORITE MOMENT: Frankie winning the election in "Setting A President" was just wonderful.

MOST TOUCHING MOMENT: Mac and Goo's conversation at the end of "Go Goo Go". Considering the episodes that preceded this, I was surprised to learn that the Foster's crew was still capable of showing genuine heart and compassion.

Last edited by Voxxyn; 09-06-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Sims Katie
Settling In

Your Favorite Episode - Bus the Two of Us
Least Favorite Episode - I Only have Surprise for You. It was funny at first, but manic freaking out isn't really my thing.
Worst Character-Based Episode - Berry Scary. "Cute" characters annoy the hell out of me, and the "sweet girl whose really a mean cow" thing has been done to death already on, like, every other show ever.
Funniest Episode - Room with a Feud
Best Tearjerker Episode - I'm a sap, so this is pretty much every episode

Sprinkle sprinkle little bar
What I wonder is a cat... keeshh
Sims Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #4
Chaos Wielder
Permanent Resident

Best: I would have to say that the pilot episode, "House of Bloos" is the best out of them all because compared to the other episodes it was very story-driven, felt very epic in spots and introduced us all to the characters that we all know and love today! XD

Worst: For me, the worst episode is probably "Beat With a Schtick" because of what happened to Bloo in the end and it really didn't seem to have much depth. It was pretty much just about Bloo hiding from a supposed 'bully' and not wanting to get his face pulverised. What was really awful was that no one (with the exception of Mac) even tried to help Bloo (come on, I know he can be really annoying at times but even HE doesn't deserve to have THAT happen to him.) I don't necessarily think that the episode's that terrible, but when comparing it to other episodes of the cartoon it's really not that great, either.

Favorite: My favorite episode is "Camp Keep a Good Mac Down" because I thought it had wonderful humor. Sure, the plot was almost nonexistant and was all over the place, but the humor was so random that it was funny at times. Plus, I liked that little song about Herriman that played during the credits. XP Overall, this was just a very fun, light-hearted episode. "Squeeze the Day" is in a close second fave, though and "Bus the Two of Us" would be third for me.

Least Favorite: My least favorite, again, is "Beat With a Schtick" for the same reasons mentioned earlier.

Best Character-Based: I'd say that the best character-based episode was "Eddie Monster" because of the changes that Ed went through as a character. Usually, he is afraid of everything that moves, but in the end he ended up having enough courage to look out for and protect his friends. I just thought that was great.

Worst Character-Based: I guess this would have to be "Everybody knows it's Bendy" because of the fact that he was a jerk AND got away with everything that he did AND the fact that Frankie and Mr. Herriman didn't believe Bloo and the gang when they told them they did nothing wrong. However, as much as I like Wilt, "Where there's a Wilt There's a Way" is in a close second because I don't think it really did much for his character. He also didn't really seem to learn much during his troubles in that episode because he still ended up telling Bloo that he'd get those chips for him at the end of it. XP

Best Written: "A Lost Claus" was the best written, in my opinion, mostly because of its message (some believe that Mac believing in Santa has to do with having faith in many different things and just believing in hope or even God) and the humor in it (Bloo imitating the three ghosts of Christmas) balanced it out nicely.

Worst Written: This one is probably "Imposter's Home For Um...Make 'Em Up Pals" because there really didn't seem to be much of a story with this one except Frankie having to deal with an annoying, bratty friend that looked human. Plus, some of the characters just seemed a bit off to me.

Tearjerker: For me, this would have to be "Sweet Stench of Success" because not only did Bloo forget about how much he cared about Mac in the beginning, but he then realized that stardom wasn't what he thought it was. I really felt sorry for Bloo because of the way he was mistreated by Kip and that scene where he's separated from Mac really got me a few times! I know, I'm a sap! XP

I'm also adding some of my own as well

Most underrated: I seriously think that "Blooooo" is underrated. I know that it had some flaws, but it DID have some nice humor and was a nice Halloween episode.

Most overrated: Most of the episodes with Cheese, I'm sorry to say. While I do like "The Big Cheese" and "Mac Daddy", they just don't really seem as heartfelt or deep as some of the other episodes (although the moment where Bloo finally learned to accept Cheese was rather touching and is an exception).

Best moment: When Bloo apologized to Coco for the way he had treated her in "Cuckoo for Coco Cards". I know it must've taken a lot for Bloo to do that. It proves that he's not just a TOTAL jerk all the time.

Worst moment: For me, that'd also have to be Madame Foster stealing those tickets from Mac in "Foster's goes to Europe".

Ugliest moment: Bloo screaming forever...and ever...and ever in "Cuckoo for Coco Cards" when he was trying to get everyone's trading cards. That got a bit grating after the first two seconds. XP

Last edited by Chaos Wielder; 12-06-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Chaos Wielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Sims Katie
Settling In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Wielder View Post
Ugliest moment: Bloo screaming forever...and ever...and ever in "Cuckoo for Coco Cards" when he was trying to get everyone's trading cards. That got a bit grating after the first two seconds. XP
Yea, that was especially annoying for me because my niece does the exact same thing whenever she wants something.

Sprinkle sprinkle little bar
What I wonder is a cat... keeshh
Sims Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

I was laughing. I would have just smacked him though. I'm immune to annoying noises like that (it's pretty much what my band sounded like).
Kzinistzerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
billytheskink
Permanent Resident

I'm Punk Rock...  

Send a message via AIM to billytheskink

Best, all-around A difficult decision, but I will say STORE WARS. The plot is very simple, but doesn't drag despite spanning a whole 23 minutes. The episode seems to aim to introduce the audience to each of the main characters and establish their personalities, and it succeeds magnificently in this regard. It's a pretty funny epsiode on top of all that.

Worst, all-around There are episodes that I dislike more than this one, but PHONE HOME fails on every level. The episode is not funny; it's not clever, it's not much of anything really. The simple plot quickly grows tiresome and there is nothing to make up for the episode's weaknesses.

Favorite STORE WARS, it was the first episode I saw and it was what hooked me onto this show. I began taping Fosters at every opportunity because I happened upon a rerun of Store Wars on the Sunday after it premiered.

Least favorite Torturing poor Frankie can be funny (see Store Wars, Busted). However, the torturing (for lack of a better word right now) of Frankie isn't what makes those situations funny; the character torturing her (Herriman is particularly entertaining), her reactions (funniest when reacting to Herriman), and the ultimate justice of the situation determine whether raising Frankie's blood pressure is entertaining. This reasoning is why I chose BLOOOOO as my least favorite episode. The episode has entertaining parts, but they are all but overshadowed by the long and unentertaining torture of Frankie. The whole sequence of locking Frankie out of the house in a thunderstorm, etc. absoluetely killed the joke ending, a joke that its sole purpose was to set up.
Ironically, I was locked out in a thunderstorm the night that Blooooo premiered. Maybe that's what soured me to it.

Best character-based FRANKIE MY DEAR was funny and based on my favorite character on the show. That's enough for me.

Worst character-based WHERE THERE'S WILT, THERE'S A WAY, because the Bendy episode had one really funny part. It was close though.

Best Written I've got to say THE BIG PICTURE. It had me guessing until the end, and the dialouge was consistently very good. "He looks like a Wally, doesn't he?"

Worst Written PHONE HOME, it was as if no effort was put into writing it.

Tearjerker Don't have one, Fosters has yet to make me cry, or even feel particularly sad. It's not a sad show, and it has few sad scenes. That's fine by me.

Best Moment(s) I have two here, actually. The two times I've laughed for 5 or more minutes straight while watching Fosters.
- Everyone Knows It's Bendy - bad episode, except for "I'M PUNK ROCK..." I laughed for probably 7 to 10 minutes.
- One False Movie - I was rolling for probably 6 or 7 minutes after EXPLORIN' LAUREN first popped up.

Worst moment When darn near everyone in house acts lazy in THE TROUBLE WITH SCRIBBLES. It just really bugged me for some reason.

In conclusion, I've found something to laugh about in every Foster's I have seen, except for Phone Home.
It's a great show.

Last edited by billytheskink; 08-20-2006 at 02:43 PM.
billytheskink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
LaBlooGirl
Mac's World in Bloo
"What are YOU lookin' at?"  

Send a message via Yahoo to LaBlooGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Wielder;1219[B
Worst moment: [/b] For me, that'd also have to be Madame Foster stealing those tickets from Mac in "Foster's goes to Europe".
Yeah, I agree with this, because it totally goes against EVERYTHING Madame Foster proved herself to be in former episodes, and made no sense whatsoever.
How could she do things like be so sweet to Mac in the Christmas episode (making him the stocking and whatnot), help him keep his Imaginary Friend in the pilot, or numerous things....and then all of a sudden do such a cruel thing as to steal his hard-earned tickets?? I think some of the writers are twisted, really I do. (Sad to say, I think Lauren is involved in a lot of those kinds of eps...it's supposed to come across as humor but I find nothing funny about using/tricking others in such a fashion.)

(Avatar piccy belongs to "sperg" of deviantart, sig piccy to "jameson".)
LaBlooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

You know, I've always half-wondered if they got other people to write Imposter's Home.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
ch3353-h4xx0rrrr
Permanent Resident
And it's Goo!  

All-Around Worst: Imposter's Home. It leads up and you expect Goofball to be exposed for who he REALLY is, and it turns out he's not pretending! RAWR! It angered me.
All-Around Best: Go Goo Go. The one nominated for an Emmy, right? Besides, it introduced my favorite character. =D
Your Favorite Episode: Infernal Slumber. I just REALLY liked the randomness, suspense, and running gags in that episode.
Your Least Favorite Episode: Foster's Goes to Europe. I just... couldn't get into it. It had it's moments, yes, and personally I LOVED the ending, but the rest of it seemed rather redundant and stale. Everyone runs around trying to get ready for a plane trip to Europe, with everyone flying every where, and tickets trading hands and... ugh. Then, in the end, NO one goes to Europe except for Madame F and her friends (plus Eurotrish). Kinda stale.
Best Written Episode: Cuckoo for Coco Cards. This episode really brought out Coco's character, as well as Bloo's. I enjoyed it very much, especially the whole Baseball thing.
Worst Written Episode: Hmm... Although no episodes have terrible writing, I have to say FGTE for reasons above.
Best Tearjerker Episode: Either GGG or CCC... odd... but yeah. GGG always has me crying, and CCC is definately worthy of my precious (or not so) tears.
Overrated: Mac Daddy. I liked it and all, but PLEASE, SHUT UP! I DON'T CARE IF YOU LIKE CHOCOLATE MILK, YOU AREN'T CHEESE!
Underrated: CCC.