Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Another Castle
At Home

Default Powerpuff Girls

You know, I don't think we have ever got around to having a thread about Craig's most famous work yet! We have all had the occasional mention of it, but never especially devoted to it*.

Any fans? I've heard about this show for about a decade now, but it has only been a year or so since I properly got into it (after I started on Fosters). All those years I never took an interest in it, thinking it was just for little girls. In fact, back in 1998 (when I was eight), I remember seeing an advert for it and thinking "Spice Girls copy!"
I have been very pleasantly surprised with how good this how is- although the heros win in the end, it never feels cliched. I've been surprised how violent it is (especially the opening credits!- but don't worry, I'm not a killjoy). It does feel similar to Dexter's Laboratory (a show I did watch when I was 8), but then of course it is largely made by the same people (and created by Genndy Tartakovsky). Perhaps more hyper, obviously more characters and dialogue.
I've lost count of how many episodes I've seen so far, I especially like the ones with the Gang Green Gang. My favorite is properly Meet the Beat-Alls, the one witch convinced me to watch in the first place.

Alpha November Oscar Tango Hotel Echo Romeo
Charlie Alpha Sierra Tango Lima Echo
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

PPG is good fun. Being very witty, cute, and funny is what made the series a smash hit back when it came out. I wasn't a devoted fan but I did enjoy watching it.
Did you know that Japan made an anime series of PPG? I haven't seen it but if you're really into the franchise than you may want to check it out.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Another Castle
At Home

Yes, they were really big around late 1990s-early 2000s, but I think the craze died down a little by the time of the movie. There was also a lot of merchandise. Craig was very surprised by the popularity with older people (I don't meant senior citizens), saying
"I thought it would get on Cartoon Network and college kids would watch it and there would be a few random T-shirts out there in the rave scene or in record shops. But I had no idea that it would take off to this extent."

Did many boys ever watch it? How popular is it nowadays?
I've never seen the anime version, although I've heard mixed things about it

Old 04-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

The Powerpuff Girls was my introduction to Cartoon Network back in 2001 when we got Foxtel. I've been a part of it ever since. I so far have seasons 1-3 of PPG, and I'm hoping for the rest of the series to be released on DVD.

As for favourites, my favourite episode is The Rowdyruff Boys from season 1. I think it's great to have a counterpart to the girls that are just as tough as they are. It also as my favourite moment of the series in which
Spoiler Below
the girls kiss the boys to destroy them. Blossom looked beautiful!

Blossom is my favourite character because she's not only very pretty, but how much she believes in whats right and wrong, and, to quote Nicholas Angel, 'I have the good grace to know which is which!'
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_fan View Post
Blossom is my favourite character because she's not only very pretty, but how much she believes in whats right and wrong, and, to quote Nicholas Angel, 'I have the good grace to know which is which!'
You'd be pleased to know that Blossom is the focus of the anime of PPG. That's what I hear anyway. Here's a link to the anime opening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krMQOzoTbI

It looks pretty cute.

Last edited by Medikor; 04-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Medikor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
Another Castle
At Home

Just thinking- how many PPG references have we seen on Fosters? Let me think:
-Frankie's shirt
-Her Halloween costume (and Bloo)
-It's been on the TV (I'd imagine Bloo is a fan)
-The Mojo IF

There must be more...

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
Another Castle
At Home

Also, the two shows are obviously very different, in art style, length etc.- would you say there are any signs that you can tell they are made by the same people? Any big similarities?

Apparently, there is a character (from an episode I haven't seen yet) who could be considered a prototype of Mac. The character of Mitch (the playground bully) reminds me of a young Terrance.