Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:43 AM   #1491
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I'm now officially an Indy fan, and this movie was the reason!

Harrison Ford really shines in this movie and the chemistry between Harrison and Shia was brilliant.

I will say that there are two (picture-frame) cameos in the movie, and the one that really surprised me was when
Spoiler Below
Indy found out that not only was Mutt Marion's son, but also Indy's son!!!

I really enjoyed this movie, and the ending
Spoiler Below
at the wedding
really opens the door for a possible fifth one!
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #1492
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

To sum it up in 3 words: it kicked ASS!!! I was totally impressed with how easily and effectively this sequel surpassed the first one. This movie seems to have perfectly mastered and upgraded every element that made the movie good and then some. Story, characters, music, dialog, the battles are even more violent and dark natured.

The movie series has certainly gone adult quickly and I feel it really makes this book series even more impressive then Harry Potter (or at least I feel that way so far). They touch on old bits from the first movie and don't just act like it never happened without mentioning something (like most sequels do). There was so much improved from the first movie, its hard to even cover it all.

Disney has really landed a winning franchise here, I look eagerly and enthusiastically to the next Narnia movie/book adaptation. I originally doubted how good this movie might be, worrying it'd be too lost or detracted from what made the first movie great, but I was wrong and I loved the movie.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #1493
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Yay, that's great to hear. I never actually read the books but I'm familiar with the stories, and I loved the first movie. I heard the visual effects in the second are outstanding! Awesomeness, pure awesomeness.

As for the last movie I watched, it was last Sunday night and it was another of Disney's- The Incredibles. I saw it when it first came out on DVD a number of years ago, but hadn't seen it since. Although not Pixar/Disney's best work, it was certainly entertaining and I highly enjoyed it. Again.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:17 AM   #1494
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

The Bucket List

A pretty nice movie starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman as a pair of terminally ill cancer patients who embark upon a globe-trotting adventure in order to accomplish everything they'd ever wanted out of life before they die. The basic storyline, though it leaves you with a warm enough glow, was a bit simplistic and predictable (not really helped by the fact that the trailer had already given about 80% of it away), but with Jack and Morgan both aboard you know you're in for something worth watching, and I did feel that they were able to transcend the limitations of the script and give off two very entertaining performances. It's actually quite an effective combination, Morgan's trademark warmth and Jack's trademark cynicism - I'm surprised it's taken this long for somebody, in this case Rob Reiner, to hit upon that potential and try utilising it.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 05-23-2008 at 03:17 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #1495
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_fan View Post
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I'm now officially an Indy fan, and this movie was the reason!

Harrison Ford really shines in this movie and the chemistry between Harrison and Shia was brilliant.

I will say that there are two (picture-frame) cameos in the movie, and the one that really surprised me was when
Spoiler Below
Indy found out that not only was Mutt Marion's son, but also Indy's son!!!

I really enjoyed this movie, and the ending
Spoiler Below
at the wedding
really opens the door for a possible fifth one!
I haven't seen it yet (I'm seeing it next weekend) but I think a final fifth one would work if they started work like next month.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #1496
Prutnick
Newly Abandoned
We must perform a quirkafleeg!  

I've just returned from theatre. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a pretty good film.

Well, I liked the action and that the storyline is quite interesting. I mean, usually films have scenes only for show, which are usually boring (i.e. Star Wars I). Here I found only one scene a bit boring - in the jungle, when Mutt fought with that soviet lady.
However, to be honest, I didn't like the story after they had gotten to the temple. Ok, aliens, I understand, but a giant space saucer burried under the jungle - that was weak. The same with surviving Abomb in a fridge.
I really like the way the soviets were portrayed in the movie (it takes place in '55-'57, doesn't it?). Just as I expected they would be in that part of the Cold War. Eh, I would so like to live in the '50ties...
Prutnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #1497
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

That Thing You Do (1996)

Tom Hanks stars in a Tom Hanks film, written by Tom Hanks.

A pretty well done send up of the music industry circa 1964 that focuses on the trials and tribulations of a group of friends who form a band (The Oneders...get it, get it!?) and ride a wave of success on the back of their number one (and only) "That Thing You Do"

Tom is successful in capturing the look and feel of the era in which the story takes place, the actors (who at the time were pretty unknown) do a good job with the material and have good chemistry with each other (Look for a young Steve Zahn and pre Lord of The Rings, Liv Tyler) and the titular song is one of the most catchiest pieces of music I have ever heard. As music spoofs go it doesn't measure up to the champion of that genre "This is Spinal Tap" but this film still have a lot of goodness to make it worth the viewers while.

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #1498
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

The Kite Runner

This is, without a doubt, the best movie I've seen in years, probably ever. Based on the book of the same name by Khaled Hossieni, it's about a young boy named Amir growing up in Afghanistan shortly before the Russian invasion in the 70's. A major aspect of the first third of the film is his relationship with his friend and servant, Hassan. The acting between the boys who played Amir and Hassan was amazing, and they were adorable.

The music was amazing, as was the scenery and the scenes of the kite competiton, an Afghan tradation banned by the Taliban when they came to power. But what I loved about the film the most was that most of it was spoken in Arabic, with English subtitles. While it threw my dad off (even though he only watched ten minutes of the film at the beginning and ending), and the subtitles bugged my stepmom, I enjoyed it-- hearing the Arabic added the realism found in Hossieni's novel. (What I mean by that is that Hossieni wrote The Kite Runner in first person, and so convincingly that one has to forcibly remind themselves that this is a work of FICTION, not a memoir or an autobigraphy.) I also like that the film was able to do well without ANY big-name, A-list celebrities-- the actors carried their own weight, and did AMAZINGLY as his/her character.

However, the film is not without its sadness. It's rated PG-13, in part for the sexual assault of a child-- a major event/turning point in the book and the film. Not graphically depicted, but enough to garner tears. Later, in the film's final act, an older Amir witnesses a stoning in Modern Day Afghanistan. Although you see it coming and know it's not going to be pretty, you still can't help but gasp and cover your mouth with both hands and cry-- I did so.

Overall, The Kite Runner was an amazing film-- not TOTALLY faithful to Hossieni's novel, but what film adaptation is? VERY HIGHLY recommened-- four stars.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #1499
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

stay alive

movie about a bunch of guys playing a video game in which they die in real life if they die in the game. pretty awsome. and the ending was also pretty cool.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #1500
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

The Last Temptation of Christ

I finally got around to seeing this controversial and LONG movie from Martin Scoresese and boy was it a piece of work. VERY interesting and very disturbing stuff to see about Jesus, Willem Dafoe played Jesus and Harvey Kietel played Judas, it was a very interesting movie and very enlightening about the Bible and all that stuff.

I really felt this was a powerful and effective movie for those curious about anything related to Jesus, God, or the Bible. I learned a lot and didn't see it as the blasphemous "abomination" most critics and religious viewers saw it as. Very glad I saw this movie. By the way, Prutnick, next you might want to be a little bit more careful about revealing SPOILING information about a movie.

I haven't seen "Kingdom of the Crystal skull" yet and frankly, I'd rather not like to read all the spoiler stuff about the movie before I actually see it so please, keep that in mind next time, okay?
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote