Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > General > Birthdays and Salutations

Notices

Birthdays and Salutations Is it a member's birthday? Or another special event? Announce it here!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Default Honoring Memorial Day

I would like to take a moment to bow my head to the brothers and sisters who served and gave their life. To my fellow brothers and sisters who have served, and are still serving.

Before you enjoy your day, or light that BBQ, thank a vet for your ability to do so.

"For those who fought for it - freedom has a taste the protected will never know." - Unknown soldier
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

I suppose our equivalent of this day is Rememberence day held on the 11th of November, the day the guns fell silent on the western front in 1918.

I always thought it was a good day to have it because having to stand there in the cold and drizzle really wasn't a big deal in comparison to what these people all around had lived through. Bit hard on the older folks really, making them stand there, looking at it now but I suppose it's not likely to be at the forefront of their minds, they'll be thinking about those who never will grow old.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I hope everyone had a good and safe Memorial Day and enjoyed their get-togethers and barbecues and ...ooooh, did someone say barbecue?? Oh my.... chicken legs..... ribs..... shish-ka-bobs..... barbecue sauce....

Eh hem... sorry, lost my track of thought there for a second. Uhm, anyway, I worked all day. Blech. But it's money in the bank so I can't complain too much.

We actually celebrate Nov 11 here in the US too. We just know it by a different name- Veteran's Day. The biggest difference I think between the two is that Memorial Day is to remember those who have fallen defending our country, while Veteran's Day is to honor both fallen and still living. Here's the history of the holiday for anyone interested.

I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free!
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me!

Last edited by Lynnie; 05-26-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: And of course, much gratitude to the men and women who fell defending their country!
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

It's always a pleasure and an honor to pay tribute to those fought the good fight so we can have what we have today. May we never forget.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

(Threads for holidays can go in the Birthdays and Salutations section, btw, and yes this is a holiday)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

i went to a BBQ with some vets today. crazy guys had a good chat. Always thankful to the soldiers keeping these shores safe.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

Sadly, I didn't do anything for Memorial Day. I feel bad, especially since I have two friends in the service (Air Force and Navy, respectively). In my own defense, I was working all day-- I didn't have time for BBQs and other assorted Memorial Day activities.

In memory of those who served ~ we won't forget you

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote