Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > General Character Discussions

Notices

General Character Discussions Discussions about the characters in *general*, or groups of characters, belong here. Please place discussions about *single* specific characters in their appropriate category.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #21
Verity
Newly Abandoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBlooGirl View Post
HOLD IT! I just had a really freaky thought, as to HOW Wilt got those injuries. Know how sometimes when basketball players shoot a hoop they manage to break the glass behind it? (Considering it WAS glass, which I'm not sure they still use anymore but did in the old days.) What if Wilt was playing, say one-on-one with the basketball-head guy, when his rival throws the ball hard, trying to make a score, and he ends up shattering the glass, with Wilt right underneath it???

Hmmm....
I kind of like that idea. Now don't think I'm sadistic - but it makes sense to me, and it's not too awful. I've read worse (which is how I learnt not to read 'angst' fanfics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
No, it would NOT seem right without the Wilt-Man there, for sure! Given how popular he is, and the merchandising potential he carries, it would indeed seem ridiculous to write him off, even if that did mean giving him a fairy-tale happy ending and having him be adopted by his original creator after all these years. That would be like turning the proverbial cash cow into hamburger patties, something that can only be enjoyed once, then it's gone. And while there are probably many fans who would like to see Wilt somehow restored to his former physical appearance, with both arms and both eyes, I don't feel that way. It's not that I want Wilt to be handicapped, but because I don't think he IS handicapped. His scars serve as a reminder of what he has overcome and what other people can overcome, and to show that people with amputations or other "disabilities" are just as capable of doing things that the rest of us are if they don't dwell on their differences, which Wilt never has done. As he is, he's more of a role model and an inspiration than if he had both arms and both eyes, and I'd wager that he's probably helped to make a lot of the really younger fans more comfortable and more accepting of people who have such differences, since young children are usually a bit freaked out by people who've lost limbs, or who are blind, or use a wheelchair, or whatever.

pitbulllady
Couldn't agree with you more. Foster's without Wilt would be like the sea without water. I hope that if he finds his creator he'll keep staying at Foster's, but keep in touch with them (perhaps). I wouldn't want the person to become a recurring character, like Goo and Cheese.

And I think what you say is true; he does not in the least seem disabled. He can do anything that most people can do. It's good for kids to see that handicapped people can have a "normal" life, AND loveable personalities.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #22
LaBlooGirl
Mac's World in Bloo
"What are YOU lookin' at?"  

Send a message via Yahoo to LaBlooGirl

Hm, I feel my post is getting off topic in some ways. I would like to request more posts around the issue of how/why Wilt has visible stitches.

(Avatar piccy belongs to "sperg" of deviantart, sig piccy to "jameson".)
LaBlooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #23
montitech
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBlooGirl View Post
Hm, I feel my post is getting off topic in some ways. I would like to request more posts around the issue of how/why Wilt has visible stitches.
His Health care provider (If he has health care) will not pay for Cosmetic care thus without a job (Since he was not paid for holding the flag anyway) he cannot afford to pay out of pocket to get them taken out by a doctor.

Naturally, he could take them out himself, but that would be a bad example for the kids, since Fosters is a Kid show.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #24
InsaneFan
Foster's Legend
It's time for Animaniacs!  

Send a message via AIM to InsaneFan

Well, it looks like this thread isn't explained away by GWH. It's still open for discussion.

I don't have much to say on this topic, I'll let ya'll do that for me. Taking into consideration that he was on his own for 8 years before coming to Foster's, any number of things could've happened.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #25
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneFan View Post
Well, it looks like this thread isn't explained away by GWH. It's still open for discussion.

I don't have much to say on this topic, I'll let ya'll do that for me. Taking into consideration that he was on his own for 8 years before coming to Foster's, any number of things could've happened.
Yeah, that's still open for discussion, but even though I didn't notice it(I'm gonna watch it again soon, though), someone else said that he had the stitches on his face as he was leaving the city in which he'd been created, after he was hurt, even though he had no visable injuries on his face(other than the eye)or any reason to, since Larry was big and heavy but not sharp and pointy! There really would be no logical explanation for the stitches already being there, with no one to put them there(suturing requires TWO hands), and no reason for them to be there at that point. I would have assumed that at the time his arm was amputated, the surgeon had to take muscle from his cheeks to graft over the bone stump for padding, which is a typical procedure. Usually, the surgical team tries to get muscle from the limb that's being amputated, but due to the thinness of Wilt's arms, and the fact that massive infection had probably set in by the time Wilt got medical help, finding enough viable muscle in that arm without cutting into what remained of the still-healthy portion would have been impossible. Therefore, it would have been necessary to harvest muscle from the sides of his face, so as not to affect the use of his other limbs.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #26
LaBlooGirl
Mac's World in Bloo
"What are YOU lookin' at?"  

Send a message via Yahoo to LaBlooGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
Yeah, that's still open for discussion, but even though I didn't notice it(I'm gonna watch it again soon, though), someone else said that he had the stitches on his face as he was leaving the city in which he'd been created, after he was hurt, even though he had no visable injuries on his face(other than the eye)or any reason to, since Larry was big and heavy but not sharp and pointy! There really would be no logical explanation for the stitches already being there, with no one to put them there(suturing requires TWO hands), and no reason for them to be there at that point. I would have assumed that at the time his arm was amputated, the surgeon had to take muscle from his cheeks to graft over the bone stump for padding, which is a typical procedure. Usually, the surgical team tries to get muscle from the limb that's being amputated, but due to the thinness of Wilt's arms, and the fact that massive infection had probably set in by the time Wilt got medical help, finding enough viable muscle in that arm without cutting into what remained of the still-healthy portion would have been impossible. Therefore, it would have been necessary to harvest muscle from the sides of his face, so as not to affect the use of his other limbs.

pitbulllady
Man are YOU insightful! I never even thought of that one! (And I sit here and over-analyze everything to death! lol)

(Avatar piccy belongs to "sperg" of deviantart, sig piccy to "jameson".)
LaBlooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #27
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

The whole "seeing Wilt's stitches as he leaves the 'hood" thing was most likely an animation mistake, since you don't see it again as Wilt actually "leaves".
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #28
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgirl1 View Post
The whole "seeing Wilt's stitches as he leaves the 'hood" thing was most likely an animation mistake, since you don't see it again as Wilt actually "leaves".

That's what I'm thinking, too. The crew(and the computer program)is so used to Wilt having those stitches, it's almost automatic to put them there, and then later realize, too late, that he shouldn't have had them at that point. He does not have them as he's lying on the court, nor when we see him leave, just in that glimpse of the back of his head as he catches one last glimpse of Jordan.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:48 PM   #29
InsaneFan
Foster's Legend
It's time for Animaniacs!  

Send a message via AIM to InsaneFan

Yeah, I'm certain that was a goof. Like the pantsless Ed having pants for a sec in the Big Cheese.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #30
ptps
At Home

Best Friends Forever  

Stitches in his face: Unmirrored character design makes it look interesting.

Stitches in his face while leaving the city: Animation Continuity problem, or goof, or they reused the wrong Flash symbol/group while animating.

There's tons of animation/continuity errors in Foster's, the stitch one in GWH was probbaly just another of them.

I'm glad he has them either way. BATTLE WOUNDS, BROTHER. >D
ptps is offline   Reply With Quote