Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > General Character Discussions

Notices

General Character Discussions Discussions about the characters in *general*, or groups of characters, belong here. Please place discussions about *single* specific characters in their appropriate category.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #21
lucyrocks73
Razzamatazztic Tap Dancer

There are ways to make punks like you sing.  

Send a message via AIM to lucyrocks73

Something's messed up here. We couldn't stay on-topic in the fanfic forum, and now we can't stay on topic here.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH US??

And have you also noticed that we've actually filled up a page or so with just the two of us yapping back and forth??

HA.

-Marty
Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #22
Dude13
Settling In
Cruising through life without a single clue...  

Ha, this thread isn't even a day old.

Oh, yeah....someone please add some input here before Marty and I need to move this thread back!

Last edited by Cassini90125; 10-04-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Dude13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #23
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Guys, if you can't post anything related to the topic, I'm going to close it. Dude, I don't want you posting more than one post on the same topic withing two minutes. Thank you.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+

Last edited by One Radical Dude; 10-04-2006 at 05:13 PM.
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #24
lucyrocks73

(*Salutes*)

Exactly...

Y'see, this is a problem I have in life...

And to get back on topic, I think that Frankie (other than the freaky running thing mentioned earlier) is the only person who actually has a normal (non-cartoonish, I mean) body...

And is Mac just short for his age? I don't really think so, because any other time we've seen other children (excpet Goo) they've been the same height.

Opinions, please, before Dude13 and I get off-topic again??

-Marty
Old 10-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #25
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Option #1 - Goo ia 12 years old, not 8.

Option #2 - Goo has a glandular condition, or is just genetically tall.

Option #3 - Don't try to read logic into a cartoon.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #26
billytheskink
Permanent Resident

I'm Punk Rock...  

Send a message via AIM to billytheskink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageri View Post
Yeah, they're.... well, they're cartoon characters, and thusly are freakishly elastic.
And thus, why they are cartoons and not live actors.

Cartoons are drawn to do things that are not possible in real life, that's why animation was invented.

No human on Foster's is realistically proportioned, and that's great.
Frankie's a well-drawn cartoon; her neck is too long, nose is too small, eyes are too big, hair is an unnatural color, um... chest is um... "pointy", legs are toothpick-like... yadda yadda yadda.
billytheskink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #27
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheskink View Post
Frankie's a well-drawn cartoon; her neck is too long, nose is too small, eyes are too big, hair is an unnatural color, um... chest is um... "pointy", legs are toothpick-like... yadda yadda yadda.
And it all works together perfectly.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:47 AM   #28
lucyrocks73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Option #3 - Don't try to read logic into a cartoon.
Ah, but isn't it fun to muse over this??

-Marty
Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 AM   #29
HappyFoppy
This rank is six words long
STFU AND DANCE  

Send a message via MSN to HappyFoppy

Wait, Goo is 12? How can you know? Well, it is clear she's somewhat older than Mac, but if she's 12, then why would Frankie thing Goo is Mac's girlfriend? Well, he fell in love with Frankie who's 14 years older than him, so...
Omg, he's a weird kid sometimes.
HappyFoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:05 AM   #30
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

I'm gonna weigh in on this with my personal take on the whole proportions thing.

First, it's pretty much well-known that cartoonists and animators(which are NOT the same thing)exaggerate certain features of a character, and usually this includes making the characters' heads bigger in proportion than they would be IF these were living people, or animals, or whatevers. Many Western animators also tend to leave off drawing things that are not absolulely necessary to make the character "believable", if you will, like fingernails, eye lashes(especially on male characters, even though males have eye lashes, too), nostrils, etc. This is certainly the case with the Foster's characters, both human and otherwise. I tend to look at it this way: I know that those features are intentionally exaggerated, and therefore I know that if these WERE real, live people, Mac's head would not be so huge, Frankie's neck would not be that long, Goo and Wilt would both have much larger torsos to accomodate vital organs, Madame Foster would be taller, and so on and so forth. The logistics of how So-and-So would be able to hug Whats-Her-Face doesn't bother me, because I tend to automatically assign "real people" proportions to them, mentally. It's like that pencil drawing of Wilt relaxing on a chair that's on my DA gallery, and that drawing of him made by one of my sixth-grade students last year, in which both of us chose to assign more realistic proportions and anatomical features, like muscles and lips, to him while still making him look like Wilt, rather than just a very tall human with a missing arm. We both gave him a torso that was more in proportion, with enough space for a set of lungs and other vital organs, without making him look unrecognizable. I've seen plenty of art on DA in which Mac and Frankie were drawn with realistic human proportions, for their respective ages, and these still were recognizable as Mac and Frankie, even without the deliberately exaggerated features or left-out features that are so common in animation. I guess to some extent many of you are "spoiled" by Anime', since Japanese animators spare no expense in creating their products, and draw/animate many more details, and include realistic proportions, so examples of Western animation seem "off". I don't watch Anime', and didn't have it when I was a kid(other than "Speed Racer"), so I don't tend to find the over-large heads and other typical features of American animation to be strange.

As for Goo's height, it's a well-known biological fact that girls grow much faster than boys, up until puberty, when boys usually experience a rapid growth spurt that puts them ahead of the girls in terms of height. In my fourth-grade classes, many of the girls are a LOT taller than the boys, and some are nearly as tall as I am! At the Jr. High, though, only a few of my eighth-grade girls are as tall as, or taller, than their male classmates. Compared to Frankie, Goo's height does not seem that extreme.

pitbulllady

Last edited by pitbulllady; 10-05-2006 at 04:06 AM.
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote