Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > General Character Discussions

Notices

General Character Discussions Discussions about the characters in *general*, or groups of characters, belong here. Please place discussions about *single* specific characters in their appropriate category.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #31
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

OK y'all here's my theory.

This summer in Philadelphia, I was getting into writing FHFIF fics and was doing some homework on Wikipedia. The article on Wilt, under the subheading "History," says that the marks on the sides of his face are stitches and that (and I quote), "It is still unknown how he got his scars, but they seem to have been acquired shortly thereafter." (Here's the link if you want to look this up for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_%28Foster%27s%29.

From the info in that article, I developed my own fanfic. Originally, it was strictly to explain the scars, but it ended up evolving to the point of covering Wilt's life after the basketball game in "Good Wilt Hunting" to stopping just short of when he arrived at Foster's. Here's that link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3792742/...mes_of_My_Life.)

I kinda like Wilt with the scars-- they give him character and it gives people like me (who have active imaginations and crushes on Wilt-- I won't deny it!) someting to think about and toy with.
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:17 AM   #32
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltsAKGirl17 View Post
OK y'all here's my theory.

This summer in Philadelphia, I was getting into writing FHFIF fics and was doing some homework on Wikipedia. The article on Wilt, under the subheading "History," says that the marks on the sides of his face are stitches and that (and I quote), "It is still unknown how he got his scars, but they seem to have been acquired shortly thereafter." (Here's the link if you want to look this up for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_%28Foster%27s%29.

From the info in that article, I developed my own fanfic. Originally, it was strictly to explain the scars, but it ended up evolving to the point of covering Wilt's life after the basketball game in "Good Wilt Hunting" to stopping just short of when he arrived at Foster's. Here's that link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3792742/...mes_of_My_Life.)

I kinda like Wilt with the scars-- they give him character and it gives people like me (who have active imaginations and crushes on Wilt-- I won't deny it!) someting to think about and toy with.
Just a warning-don't get too hung up on anything you read on Wikipedia.com, ESPECIALLY where Foster's is concerned, since there is a lot of misinformation there. Stitches either come out, dissolve, or will become horribly infected if left in, but they do often leave scars that can last forever(I've still got scars where I had two fingers re-attached over 20 years ago, visable on my pale skin), so more likely, the black marks are just scars left from stitches or surgical staples.

I, too, like Wilt with the scars, since it does indeed give him character and makes him to be a bit more of a mystery to people who don't know him or his history. To the average person, though, I guess it would also make him a bit threatening, since people meeting someone who's got all those scars would have to wonder if maybe this was a violent individual under that warm smile. Those scars have probably been a large part of what has kept him at Foster's all these years.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #33
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
Just a warning-don't get too hung up on anything you read on Wikipedia.com, ESPECIALLY where Foster's is concerned, since there is a lot of misinformation there. Stitches either come out, dissolve, or will become horribly infected if left in, but they do often leave scars that can last forever(I've still got scars where I had two fingers re-attached over 20 years ago, visable on my pale skin), so more likely, the black marks are just scars left from stitches or surgical staples.

I, too, like Wilt with the scars, since it does indeed give him character and makes him to be a bit more of a mystery to people who don't know him or his history. To the average person, though, I guess it would also make him a bit threatening, since people meeting someone who's got all those scars would have to wonder if maybe this was a violent individual under that warm smile. Those scars have probably been a large part of what has kept him at Foster's all these years.

pitbulllady
I'm well aware of the pitfalls of wikipedia-- I've been informed of them by 2 AP teachers and a friend. However, this was (and , to my knowledge, still is) the best I could do, as cartoonnetwork.com's bio of Wilt left something to be desired when I last looked. I'm terribly sorry-- I misquoted the article. It did say scars rather than stitches. (Oops... ) (BTW, if anyone knows where some good info on Wilt or any of the other Foster's characters is on the Internet, I'd greatly appreciate it if you let me know where it's hiding!)

Like I said, I like Wilt with the scars. They seem to let you know that there's more to Wilt than a good heart and amazing optimism without saying any characters saying a thing. (And again, it gives people like me with active imaginations and a fanfiction.net account something to play with.) Although I have to admit: if I knew absolutely nothing about Wilt and bumped into him on the street, I doubt I'd feel threatened by the scars. Wilt just sort of induces those "I feel 100% safe around you" feelings. (But I'm biased.)

Also, I'm not sure that his scars are what have kept Wilt at Foster's so for long. I think it's simply because of the age group Foster's mostly caters to: younger children. Kids in that age group (I'm gonna say 6-8 years) are really hung up on shiny and new (consider their reaction to new toys on holidays and birthdays), and Wilt just doesn't fit their description of shiny and new. To a young kid, Wilt is (I'm gonna use this word even though it drives me insane) "broken," so they're gonna pass him up for a "whole" imaginary friend.

Just a theory I'm throwing out there.

P.S. Sorry about my use of "2" and "BTW"-- normally, I try to keep my spelling/grammer within the dictates of the King's English (to quote my grandfather) and not use Internet shorthand, but I'm doing fifty-two quadzillion other things right now, so I needed to speed it up a little.
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #34
KazooBloo
Foster's Legend

I don't think those are stitches.