Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #101
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Hmmm... I gotta tell you, the whole "fanon" concept has always left me feeling a little uneasy. Naturally, I have no problem with fans isolating, separating and reinterpreting individual parts of a show to suit their personal tastes; that's all part and parcel of how to enjoy a creative work. What I've always been wary of is this perception (so rife amongst the hardcore fanfic-writing/"shipping" community) that the fans' interpretations and ideas are as important/more important than that of the creators themselves, and that it's up to them to influence the creators to produce work that better fits these interpretations. Not only does this suggest to me that said fans have lost track of what they were fans of in the first place, it's a dangerous form of power without responsibility, and it always saddens me when a creator does bow to this kind of pressure, because they always emerge with creative coherence and integrity diminished; the films Spider-Man 3, Star Wars Episode II and the game The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess are three examples of projects that I feel ended up compromised by their attempts to "give fans what they want", rather than sticking to their own creative guns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding up "The Little Peas" as a bastion of artistic purity that must protected and cherished; more that I think it best that those who were dissatisfied with the episode deal with it in their own way, rather than starting a pressure movement to have it scrubbed from existence. Because that way lies madness.

As for the episode itself: I must say, I'm beginning to suspect that I'm something of a freak, because not only am I a Cheese-sceptic who thinks "The Big Cheese" was by far the best Cheese episode, but I'm also a Frankie fan who rather liked "The Little Peas". What can I say? I thought it was an original, fresh concept that was executed creditably. One thing I think everyone can agree on is that visually and design-wise, it was one of the most interesting episodes to date; reinterpreting everything in the house from the perspective of one so small completely changes its feel, and the episode had fun imaginatively transforming bits of scenery as familiar and innocuous as doorframes, elevators and carpets into terrifying chasms and lethal, intimidating deathtraps. As for Peas himself, I have to confess that I thought he worked. The central joke about the character - that he's a chipper, Mickey Mouse-esque do-gooder who imagines that he's inspiring those around him with his can-do attitude, but is in fact completely ignored - was sly enough to counterbalance his potential saccharinity, but without undermining him so much that his against-the-odds quest doesn't become actually a little inspiring.

My main problem with the episode, like most people, is that ending. Unlike a lot of others, I had no big problem with Peas's initial pep talk; it seemed out of character for Frankie to just give up like she did, but it was presented in an understandable way, and I read it as being sort of sweet that Peas should give this inspirational speech to the person who has clearly inspired him to do the things he did, and as quite an endorsement of Frankie as a person. The retcon of Peas whispering her entire TV address into her ear, on the other hand, just overplays that massively, changing Peas from plucky little helper to ridiculous deus ex machina and needlessly undermining Frankie's established character qualities of resourcefulness and intelligence, making her seem like a passive and hapless beneficiary of fortuitous circumstances. A major misstep, for sure, and one that leaves a slightly unpleasant taste in the mouth, but in a season that I felt cruised a little too much at times, the creative effort that clearly went into "Little Peas" still prevents me from judging it too harshly...
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #102
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
In that case I am declaring that Gooftard, Peas, and every Cheese episode after Mac Daddy no longer exists. Oh, and Dylan Lee got run over by a garbage truck.
And was crippled for life.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #103
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
In that case I am declaring that Gooftard, Peas, and every Cheese episode after Mac Daddy no longer exists. Oh, and Dylan Lee got run over by a garbage truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgirl1 View Post
And was crippled for life.
And smelled like garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchy McAbandonpants View Post
Hmmm... I gotta tell you, the whole "fanon" concept has always left me feeling a little uneasy. Naturally, I have no problem with fans isolating, separating and reinterpreting individual parts of a show to suit their personal tastes; that's all part and parcel of how to enjoy a creative work. What I've always been wary of is this perception (so rife amongst the hardcore fanfic-writing/"shipping" community) that the fans' interpretations and ideas are as important/more important than that of the creators themselves, and that it's up to them to influence the creators to produce work that better fits these interpretations. Not only does this suggest to me that said fans have lost track of what they were fans of in the first place, it's a dangerous form of power without responsibility, and it always saddens me when a creator does bow to this kind of pressure, because they always emerge with creative coherence and integrity diminished; the films Spider-Man 3, Star Wars Episode II and the game The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess are three examples of projects that I feel ended up compromised by their attempts to "give fans what they want", rather than sticking to their own creative guns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding up "The Little Peas" as a bastion of artistic purity that must protected and cherished; more that I think it best that those who were dissatisfied with the episode deal with it in their own way, rather than starting a pressure movement to have it scrubbed from existence. Because that way lies madness.
You have no idea how strongly I agree with this. In any case, as far as I'm concerned The Little Peas is canon now, by virtue of the fact that it aired. I wish it hadn't, but I will have to live with it.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #104
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

By no means was it my intention for fanon to be used unwisely. My perception of fanon has always been you keep it to yourself, unless there's truly a reason for it to be used. Many things that have fell victim of fanon were used to rashly. The Underdwellers wasn't so terrible of an episode that justified an ejection from canon.

Also fanon has been used to rectify some mistakes that the creators have missed. Once more I point to the DCAU, where in an episode of Superman, Wonder Woman was mentioned, an impossibility for she wouldn't be seen in man's world for almost 5 years after the mention. Or the existence of two Green Lanterns in the same sector. Now I'm getting way off topic. But what I'm saying is fanon is not all bad. You just have to use it wisely.

I still think that Peas was a highly annoying character and he wasn't too funny. I did like the different perspectives and the frame by frame identical scenes that showed improvement in the animation, but the central character was nigh unwatchable. The ret-con of an ending was a total copout. But one could actually figure that he just supplied the words, Frankie had to sell it which is something else entirely. What's a speech without a speaker?
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #105
InsaneFan
Foster's Legend
It's time for Animaniacs!  

Send a message via AIM to InsaneFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchy McAbandonpants View Post
As for the episode itself: I must say, I'm beginning to suspect that I'm something of a freak, because not only am I a Cheese-sceptic who thinks "The Big Cheese" was by far the best Cheese episode, but I'm also a Frankie fan who rather liked "The Little Peas". What can I say? I thought it was an original, fresh concept that was executed creditably. One thing I think everyone can agree on is that visually and design-wise, it was one of the most interesting episodes to date; reinterpreting everything in the house from the perspective of one so small completely changes its feel, and the episode had fun imaginatively transforming bits of scenery as familiar and innocuous as doorframes, elevators and carpets into terrifying chasms and lethal, intimidating deathtraps. As for Peas himself, I have to confess that I thought he worked. The central joke about the character - that he's a chipper, Mickey Mouse-esque do-gooder who imagines that he's inspiring those around him with his can-do attitude, but is in fact completely ignored - was sly enough to counterbalance his potential saccharinity, but without undermining him so much that his against-the-odds quest doesn't become actually a little inspiring.

My main problem with the episode, like most people, is that ending. Unlike a lot of others, I had no big problem with Peas's initial pep talk; it seemed out of character for Frankie to just give up like she did, but it was presented in an understandable way, and I read it as being sort of sweet that Peas should give this inspirational speech to the person who has clearly inspired him to do the things he did, and as quite an endorsement of Frankie as a person. The retcon of Peas whispering her entire TV address into her ear, on the other hand, just overplays that massively, changing Peas from plucky little helper to ridiculous deus ex machina and needlessly undermining Frankie's established character qualities of resourcefulness and intelligence, making her seem like a passive and hapless beneficiary of fortuitous circumstances. A major misstep, for sure, and one that leaves a slightly unpleasant taste in the mouth, but in a season that I felt cruised a little too much at times, the creative effort that clearly went into "Little Peas" still prevents me from judging it too harshly...
Yes. I agree...Though, I liked the Big Cheese, but I don't count it as my favorite episode. If you're a freak, you're not alone. C=
Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #106
bloonuggets
Take a bow, Bloo. You deserve it.

FHfIF: 8/11/04 - 5/3/09  

I guess there ain't no good times, there ain't no bad times.

It's just you and me and we just disagree.

I kind of liken this to what they call on wrestling boards as "an alternate perspective". The same program, but from a different angle (pun intended).

Thank you Craig for the ride. We all will miss you.

bloonuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:34 AM   #107
CG
Foster's Legend

BACK FROM THE DEAD?!!?  

Send a message via AIM to CG Send a message via MSN to CG Send a message via Yahoo to CG

This made me sad.

I don't know, first episode I watch since looking back into this series and... um. Wow. Mmhmm. It certain'y didn't catch me, if anything I felt kind of embarassed to watch this one. That's never happened before..!

Stupid Peas... I suddenly feel like mashing some peas into some pea mush..

Last edited by CG; 01-14-2008 at 01:35 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #108
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
This made me sad.

I don't know, first episode I watch since looking back into this series and... um. Wow. Mmhmm. It certain'y didn't catch me, if anything I felt kind of embarassed to watch this one. That's never happened before..!

Stupid Peas... I suddenly feel like mashing some peas into some pea mush..

Yeah, it IS sad, especially if that WAS the last ep of the season, to end on that note.
For some reason, when I think of Peas, I can't help but be reminded of a certain scene in a certain old Linda Blair movie,

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #109
fosters home fan
(.¯??¯)

Yes?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
Yeah, it IS sad, especially if that WAS the last ep of the season, to end on that note.
For some reason, when I think of Peas, I can't help but be reminded of a certain scene in a certain old Linda Blair movie,

pitbulllady
You mean "The Exorcist"?! HAHAHAHA! The "Pea Soup" scene.

Yeah, This episode was Fair. Not my favorite, though.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #110
Dragonrider1227
At Home

Major Frankie fan  

I JUST saw this episode. I like it. I always find episodes redone from someone else's point of view amusing, it was a good Frankie episode, and what's everyone got against Peas? He's ADORABLE!! I'd want to adopt him if I wasn't so sure our cats would eat him

[center]

Last edited by Dragonrider1227; 05-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Dragonrider1227 is offline   Reply With Quote