Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > General > General Board

Notices

General Board For discussions that do not concern the show *directly* but are related.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
Cheesecake_Recipe
Newly Abandoned

I used to have Zork running on my old 386 compy back in the day. Damn that was a while ago.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:50 AM   #12
HappyFoppy
This rank is six words long
STFU AND DANCE  

Send a message via MSN to HappyFoppy

I even still have Zork on this pc. Muahahah. It works.
But that's off-topic.
I'd be glad to see information about the game. It sounds to be pretty good. Will it be a long game?
HappyFoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I'm not really sure if it's going to be "long", that's hard for me to judge. I know the solutions to all the puzzles, so I don't know how long it will take people who don't know to figure them out. That's part of the reason I would need beta testers - in fact those would be a sort of "phase two" beta testers, because they would need to be folks who don't know anything about the solutions before they start playing.

I'm almost done putting togather a super-short text game, a "trial-run" for me (I'm doing all the writing and programming on that one myself). Just to see how hard it is for player to figure out how to solve a single puzzle.

Last edited by Sparky; 09-28-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Eureka in Topeka! A game?! I could try and help with any dialogue you think is iffy, but it looks like you have a bunch of volunteer....ers.... already. But if you want some beta-readers or something, I'll be over here.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
Sparky

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Okay I've brought on Cassini, kageri, CG, and Foppy. My bro hasn't been working on the game recently, but I may try my hand at doing some individual puzzles on my own and handing him the code. I *have* been doing some writing for it, anyways, so its moving ahead.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Sparky

Okay I haven't been getting any responses from any of my beta testers (except GM) so I am starting over here. Again, I am looking for people willing to beta test and give suggestions for Foster's TEXT adventures. (If you were one of my testers before and want to be readded to the team let me know.) Reread this thread from the beginning for more info on what kind of games these are.

I need people who can not only try to "break" the game and find typos but who can also give suggestions of things for the characters to do/say etc. Basically how it will work is I will give you just the basic solvable game, and once we're sure its working we can brainstorm fun extras to add to it. People who contribute will get credit.

As for the game I was working on before: I do much better on short games so that's what I'm going to do instead, just write some short games. Currently in production is "Cheese, Go Home!" which involves the player as Frankie trying to get Cheese to go home before dinnertime or else Mr. H won't let her go out with Kathy.

Oh one more thing, it is possible to add illustrations (and even animations) to these games, so I wouldn't say no to people willing to do artwork. At least some "cover art", anyways.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #17
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

Whoooo, count me in! I'll have some time on my hands soon, and I'd love to play! And I can find typos reasonably well, so I'd be honoured if you'd have me.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #18
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. At this time it might be best if I bow out; I am uncertain as to how SecuROM would react to the game and at present I haven't been able to get rid of it. Sorry.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
Sparky

These games can be played directly online, no downloading required (except Java if you don't already have it).

Thanks, D4n.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #20
montitech
Foster's Legend

If it needs java, I guess you chose not to use TADS, Adrift or Inform.

I wrote several enviroments in TADS.

The biggest issue in creating IF(text adventures), is the quality of the parser. if the gramer of the parser is too limited or the commom synonyms are not implemented it drives people nuts..

if the grammer is too limited them it may be better to just have a couple of buttons as to your choices instead of a full Adventure.

As for adding images, be carefull, I found Images best in a "Magic Scroll" format, one image for each major location or situation. Since I cannot draw I usually stay away from images completely but if I am not playing a Graphical adventure then I prefer either no pictures of Limited pictures that show something (like an optional clue), but are not required. Zork zero had Excellent use of graphics.

Sound usually distracts since people read at different rates, and changing sound tracks between scenes may not flow smoothly.

I would like to help playtest,(if I am invited to- I did not see a link to the game yet) but I just started a new Job last friday so I do not know how much time I would have to contribute,

Monty

Last edited by montitech; 10-21-2007 at 08:45 PM.
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote