Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #1531
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula
Default "Candy-gram for Mongo!"

In honor of the late great Harvey Korman, the film I watched last was Mel Brooks awesome spoof of the Western genre, Blazing Saddles.

One of the very few films I can watch over and over again even though I can practically recite all of the dialog verbatim.

And what's more Balzing Saddles may or may not be where the Foster's writing staff got the inspiration for one of their running gags (IE Bloo's paddle ball fandom) And no I am not kidding, watch it (or look for the scene on Youtube.) and you'll see what I mean.

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #1532
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranchula View Post
I've seen Bender's Big Score three times (In fact it was the last movie I watched too.) And unless he is in one of those blink and you miss it cameos there is neither hide nor hair of everyones favorite walking 1980's stereotype in this picture.
Aww, too bad. That Guy ruled. ("Fry, I'm an 80s guy. Friendship means to me that for two bucks I'd beat you with a pool cue until your retinas detached!") Well, they do still have three more movies to go (or so rumour has it). Here's to hoping that they'll find a way to bring him back somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
Don't ask why I saw it, but Barnyard: The Original Party Animals

A movie created by people who have never seen a real cow.
From the sounds of it, people who don't understand that, invariably, cow = female, bull = male.

Last movie I watched was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was pretty much as I'd been expecting - the storyline was kind of threadbare, and didn't really make a huge deal of sense, but the individual set-pieces were kind of fun, I suppose. Always reassuring to know that, should your enemies ever hurl you into the treetops of the Amazon rainforest, a colony of black-capped capauchin monkeys will always be on hand to come to your aid.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 06-08-2008 at 03:07 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #1533
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranchula View Post
In honor of the late great Harvey Korman, the film I watched last was Mel Brooks awesome spoof of the Western genre, Blazing Saddles.

One of the very few films I can watch over and over again even though I can practically recite all of the dialog verbatim.

And what's more Balzing Saddles may or may not be where the Foster's writing staff got the inspiration for one of their running gags (IE Bloo's paddle ball fandom) And no I am not kidding, watch it (or look for the scene on Youtube.) and you'll see what I mean.
Good gravy Marie, I LOVE Blazing Saddles! Pretty much anything Mel Brooks does (this, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, et al) is pure comedic gold.

And you're not the only person who caught the paddleball thing-- I saw the Foster's connection instantly.

I haven't watched any other movies since Twister, but before that I saw Juno. I reallyl liked it-- definitely worthy of the hype, fantastic acting on the parts of Ellen Page and Michael Cera and very funny. Ellen Page deserved the MTV Award she got for this role. It isn't an Oscar or a Golden Globe, but you gotta start somewhere!

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille

Last edited by WiltsAKGirl17; 06-08-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: I somehow managed to botch typing a sentence.
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #1534
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
Hey, does That Guy make an appearence, by any chance? I ask because he was my all-time favourite Futurama character (not that I've really paid much attention to the show for a while). His only appearence was in the episode "Futurestock", after which his tragic death from boneitis kind of hindered the possibility of any further appearences...but I from what I can make out this new movie does involve time travel. So in theory they could squeeze him in, right?
I wish Mr. 80's Guy was in. I didn't see him, but I wasn't looking for him either. Al Gore could have giving up at least one of his several cameos in the movie for him or another character, if you ask me. Not that Mr. Gore's scenes were bad. Love him or hate him, he's always funny in Futurama!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #1535
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Son of Rambow

I mentioned a couple of pages back that I really wasn't too thrilled with Garth Jennings' film treatment of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, despite (or perhaps due to) being such an avid fan of its previous book and radio incarnations. Fortunately, I found his latest film to be a lot more enjoyable, if perhaps a bit uneven in places. For the most part, it's a spirited little tribute to the recklessness of childhood, in which a couple of young English schoolboys in the early 80s become infatuated with the then newly-unleashed Rambo craze and resolve to produce their own decidedly low-budget sequel. What follows is largely very breezy and good-humoured, with the occasional healthy sprinkling of darkness, though toward the end it definitely suffers from at least one or two rather mawkish and unconvincing emotional outbursts. I like heart-warming stuff as much as the next person, but Jennings definitely needs to find a subtler and less glaring method of getting the point across than having his characters suddenly opting to wear their hearts upon their sleeves (there was a similar scene around the climax of his HHGTTG film, which honestly had no business being there and was just embarrassing to sit through - even people I know who felt more positive about that film agreed with me). But that's enough carping out of me, because as I said, I enjoyed it, and it made me nostalgic for the days when the school Sixth Form actually represented something exciting and enigmatic from afar.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 06-12-2008 at 02:50 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #1536
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17
Default A Sort Of Triple Feature

1.) Transformers
Taken on recommendation from a friend, I'm really glad I listened to her. The special effects were great, and it was really fun. Shia LeBeouf was great-- he's really grown up from Holes and Even Stevens. (Admittedly, I wasn't paying much attention because I was doing something else, but I did enjoy it.)

2.) The Way Home
Taken on recommendation from the video store clerk after I picked it up. It's a Korean film-- obviously enough, spoken entirely in Korean with English subtitles: the story of a young boy from Seoul who goes to spend a month with his peasant grandmother. at first he can't stand her, but they eventually warm up to each other.

Despite sounding very promising, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. The biggest thing that turned me off to this one was the kid's incessant whining-- if it wasn't that his grandmother couldn't give him money for his Gameboy batteries, it was whining that the chicken his grandmther served him wasn't Kentucky Fried Chicken. I seriously wanted someone-- or me-- to slap this kid and tell him to shut UP and show some respect for the poor woman. In the end, I decided that I could watch the movie again, only if I could pause it and read the Korean writing in the background. The dedication at the end (To all grandmothers in the world) was certainly sweet as well.

3.) Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Not too sure why I felt compelled to put this in the DVD player... Great music, great acting, wonderful costume design (which rightfully won the '94 Academy Award), and funny as hell.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #1537
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltsAKGirl17 View Post
3.) Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Not too sure why I felt compelled to put this in the DVD player... Great music, great acting, wonderful costume design (which rightfully won the '94 Academy Award), and funny as hell.
Could you understand some of the Aussie language?

Anyway, I just got back from Speed Racer and, well, not to steal Mr. M's quote but...

IT KICKED ASS!!!

I couldn't believe how awesome it really is. The Wachowskis have really outdone themselves with this great film, and it was also unexpectedly funny too! This was also the first time I actually felt my heart beat it was that good! The people who hate this movie are obviously missing the main point of this movie, and that it's a truly fun ride that I was extremly happy to be a part of!

And I have to say, Christina Ricci was smokin' in this movie!
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #1538
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Bleach the movie: Memories of Nobody

I'm actually not a Bleach fan but my girlfriend is and she mainly wanted to see this movie, being an anime fan though I wasn't entirely dreading it. I have to say it was actually a pretty damn good movie. While it still suffered from obviously over used anime movie plot concepts and certain scenario set ups, it was actually quite compelling.

There was a deep connection with the new characters, the score was beautiful, and even though I didn't know them all that well, they used their wide cast of characters well. I enjoyed it much more then I thought I would. Bleach fans will certainly enjoy it, I'm not even a Bleach fan and I still got a kick out of it. I also might add this was quite fortunate for me as this is the first time since the Pokemon movies I got to see an anime movie in a public, big screen movie theater.

Last edited by Mr. Marshmallow; 06-12-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #1539
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Jurassic Park. Boy has it been a long time since I've seen this movie. I'm amazed at how well the cgi stood up given that it's almost a 20 year old film. Here's hoping that JP4 will recapture the magic that made this movie so great when it first premiered in 93.

Last edited by Medikor; 06-15-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Medikor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #1540
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

The Happening

I think M. Night finally broke his crap movie streak with this movie. Its not great and it is no where near the power his first movies had, but it certainly is a great big step in the right direction. Its a very unique, original, and one of a kind movie, I seriously can't think of any movie to compare to this one.

Its creepy and eerie and quite disturbing, definitely quite a few surprises. I really loved the plot concept here, its very original, those who complain Hollywood is out of original ideas, look no further. Not the greatest but pretty damn good.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote