Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Default Look What I Just Bought

Ever since I found one of these falling apart in a field not far from where I live(it's picture is in my DA gallery, along with Wilt's now-famous quote about everything wanting to belong to someone-I hate seeing old cars just abandoned and rusting apart), I've wanted one. We finally settled my late grandmother's estate and sold the house, which gave me a little bit of spending money, and a couple of days ago I came across this baby for sale down in Florida, over the 'net. It's a '51 Studebaker Champion sedan, in case y'all aren't familiar with this particular automobile, and it still belongs to the ORIGINAL owner, who bought it in 1950 from a Studebaker dealer up North, and has kept it in great condition ever since(he's a mechanic himself). He's now found that he's just getting too old to drive and keep the car up, sadly, so he had his daughter put it up for sale. It's got the original "flathead" six-cylinder engine(how does 40 miles per gallon sound?), that has been rebuilt and runs great. The interior has been totally restored, the electrical system re-wired, new brakes installed, and a new paint job done. The car was originally black, but the black color proved too heat-absorbant for the Florida climate, so he re-painted it "Old Ivory". It does need some of the chrome refurbished, and two of the guages have to be hooked up, and it needs new rims or wheel covers, and the passenger side front window got cracked and has to be replaced, but other than that, it's in great shape and according to the owner, is a very reliable driving vehicle. I'm not sure if I'm gonna leave it this color(which doesn't do much for me, honestly), or repaint it something with a bit more pizzazz, or if I'm gonna add an after-market "vintage" air conditioner system and modern stereo. If I do that, I can't show it as a restored/original vehicle, but will have to show it as a customized classic. I've also got to get seat belts put in it, since those were NOT standard on 1951 vehicles! The original owner still has all the original owner's manuals and paperwork that came with the car from the Studebaker factory in South Bend, Indianna!

Right now I'm sorta dickering with some transport companies for the best shipping rates, since I won't have time to go down to Florida until mid-April, and even then, I'd have to ship either this or my current car back, since there's no one to go with me, and I can't drive two cars, obvously. At least this is one old Stude that won't have to worry about belonging to someone!

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Carlaz
Foster's Legend

What a beauty! It looks like it's in good shape. Congrats on your classy wheels PBL!
Carlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Sweet-looking ride there.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
It's a '51 Studebaker Champion sedan, in case y'all aren't familiar with this particular automobile, and it still belongs to the ORIGINAL owner, who bought it in 1950 from a Studebaker dealer up North, and has kept it in great condition ever since(he's a mechanic himself). pitbulllady
...oh my God. Congradulations!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

That is so rad.
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
lucyrocks73
Razzamatazztic Tap Dancer

There are ways to make punks like you sing.  

Send a message via AIM to lucyrocks73

Sweet. That rocks... I love it!!!

-Marty
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

I can't wait to start driving and showing this thing! I stopped to talk to a guy who does restoration of old cars about doing the electrical things, and he said it would be no problem. Fortunately, there is a LOT of Studebaker stuff available online, since there are a lot of people who collect these cars, and the cars themselves are very durable. I've had to replace the engine already in my '97 Toyota RAV-4, so the newer engines(all those plastic parts and aluminum)don't last nearly as long. I think I'm going to go ahead and customize this, rather than just do a factory-stock restoration, since it would be ashame to have a ride like this without a decent sound system, and AM just doesn't cut it anymore, lol! I'm going to stick with stock color, though, since in my head I can already hear Bloo and Cheese debating "HOT ROD FLAMES" vs. "BUNNiiiiieessssss"!

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I don't know the first thing about cars other than they have wheels. But I'm glad you're happy with your new car, Pittbullady.

Last edited by Medikor; 02-21-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Medikor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

not much of a car person, but it looks cool, and im assuming that it works nice, so congrats on the new car
Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Lol, if you ever come out here to visit me, you'll have to talk cars with my dad.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote