Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #1641
Bloonan
Banned
No sudden movements... I'm watching you.  

Location: In the dark corner of my room, with my computer and my video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Well, wasn't this special! I have both of my computers on right now. I'm watching the forum with my laptop and playing the Sims on my main system. Two minutes ago, the power flickered. The laptop ignores things like that; it switches instantly to the battery and nothing more happens. My main system rebooted. Fortunately I was only viewing the neighborhood at the time so I lost nothing other than the time it will take to restart the game, but it still fracks me off that I have to put up with a reboot and a restart for a dang power flicker that didn't last even one twentieth of a second.
I've had similar moments where a cat walks on the power wire of my Ps2 mid-song in Rock Band and resets it, for being out of the outlet for a millionth of a second.
Bloonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:40 AM   #1642
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

im being conned by the school.

i owe the school money now. only, i never had the money i needed to pay them back with in the first place. actually, i never spent the money the school says i need to pay them back for. its only like 2 dollars, but the fact that the school wants me to pay them for money i never took from them, that annoys me to no end. also, i dont have any money on me right now, so until tommorrow, the school is just going to keep badgering me as though i had the cash on me.

man i wish it was saturday. then i wouldnt have to bother with all of this.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #1643
BluebottleFlyer
Foster's Legend

Bug/monster/snowman/surfer creator at work  

Location: Connecticut, USA (originally from County Durham, UK)
Send a message via Skype™ to BluebottleFlyer

I might just be tempted to go and place a bet on what's going to be the Christmas #1 single this year, as it's more likely then not going to be the winning single of this year's "The X Factor", as it has been for the last 4 years. Not content with subjecting us to a factory of manufactured bubblegum pop stars singing the same kind of done-to-death cheesy pop ballad with a tinkly piano intro and key change for "dramatic effect" and more than likely a cover song too, they've pretty much stolen the festive #1...although I'm wondering why I actually care what's #1 anymore, seeing as it clearly doesn't judge how good a song is.

I was pretty chuffed to see Biffy Clyro in the Top 10 last month though.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #1644
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

my life. i think two things right now:

1. karma exists

2. i am a very very bad person.

that or the forces of nature just hate me.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #1645
L.G.
Melvineer

Working on a homework problem and not getting the correct answer until over a half hour later: I made a simple math error.

Last edited by L.G.; 10-02-2008 at 07:10 PM.
L.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #1646
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17
Default War and Peace length rant

In all honesty? My parents' veiw on my love of cartoons.

I mean, you guys know me somewhat well, right? Obviously enough, I love Foster's and my heart now has a huge place for Transformers: Animated-- just look at my DA gallery and you'll see what I mean, not to mention the fact that my friends know me so well. My friends know that when I love something, I love it all the way. I admit, this has turned into obsession before, but I've learned to control it and keep it down to a mere passion.

Unfortunately, my parents aren't the same way-- they don't get that I have a passion for these two shows (my other favorite TV shows are all live action, and things we've all watched as a family. Fosters and Transformers: Animated are the only things I can only watch when they're not around).

Foster's was the first to come under my parents' fire. In general, they just don't get the show, nor my love for it, despite the fact that we watched GWH as a family about a year ago. I recall only one specific moment, but that moment is laser engraved into my brain-- my parents were lecturing me on my behavior, and my mom told me to quit acting like I was 12. My dad corrected her, saying, "Remember what she watches." This was a clear reference to Foster's, as my mom adressed me with words to the effect of, Quit acting like you're 8. I was across the room, standing in the kitchen while they were in the living room, so I'm grateful they didn't see the rage in my features.

Now currently under fire is Transformers: Animated. Watching it is a little harder for me because the show comes on at 5 AM in Alaska, and the times it's on on weekends is hard to catch because I never have control of the TV remote and I don't have cable in my room. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying, nor from asking for a calendar and possibly season 1 on DVD for Christmas. (Just as a side note, shopping has to be done early for us, since a lot of it's done online-- malls are 400 miles away from our house.) My requests were summarilly keel-hauled: my mom dismissed them as the stepping stones to obsession.

My dad's response took the cake and still bothers me whenever I think about it:

Quote:
Conversation between WAKG17 and her father
Father: Transformers is a cartoon for 8 year old boys.
WAKG17: So?
Father: You're 18.
WAKG17: So? I can't be 18 and like cartoons?
Father: No.
It takes a lot to make me physically sick to my stomach, but this is one of those things-- I felt like I had been insulted, practically slapped in the face. In frustration, not to mention hurt, I told my parents to totally disregard those items on my list.

It was then that I realized I may not be able to get my parents to understand the way I feel about my cartoons. Ever. I don't understand-- I know they want me to be happy, but they won't indulge me with a season DVD set and/or calendar? I'm not asking for the world, am I?

This is what makes me happy-- as I type this, I'm sitting with the movie adaptation Transformers Battle card game spread around me, the 2007 movie playing on the TV in front of me, a figurine of movie Bumblebee and Decepticon Scorponok chill-axing next to me and pics in my camera I plan on sending to my friend Elizabeth, a few fanfic samples to type and post to DA, and the second part of the season one closer, "Megatron Rising," to look forward to in the early morning hours.

I could be doing so much worse at this late at night-- I could be drinking, doing heavy drugs or comprosing my ladies' honor, but instead I choose to spend my evening indulging in the movie (hoping that after seeing it a 5th time will help me figure out what the frag is going on); playing card game battles between Optimus Prime and Megatron (Prime won, for the record); wondering how exactly Corey Burton's Animated character would tell Jeff Bennet's recently-blinded character (Ratcher and Prowl, respecitvely) to pick himself up by his own fraggin' bootstraps and quit feeling so damned sorry for himself, tripping over your own feet and falling on your face-plates put aside, wile being in-character and still sensetive enough to get the latter back to his feet; posing Bumblebee and Scorponok and snapping pictures; wondering what exactly will happen in "Megatron Rising, pt. II;" and crying as Bumblebee is taken into FBI custody against his will.

I don't care what my parents think of this whole thing; this is my thing, and I will not yeild.

Okay, so it turned into a Transformers rant... Big deal, it still bothers me immensely.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #1647
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

Ah another classic example of people who clearly fear what they do not wish to understand.

I'm sorry but this whole "it's animated, so it's just for kids" mentality should be tossed out like the proverbial expired milk in the fridge.

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #1648
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranchula View Post
Ah another classic example of people who clearly fear what they do not wish to understand.

I'm sorry but this whole "it's animated, so it's just for kids" mentality should be tossed out like the proverbial expired milk in the fridge.
Wow, six Canadian provinces separate myself and my fellow NF-er and yet you still manage to it the nail on the head. I feel like this sums it up pretty well.

A lack of undertsanding is why I just gave up telling my parents about my free time. When I'm asked what I'm doing in my room, I usually reply with, "Nothing," occassionally, "Not much." What I'm really doing: Most likely writing fanfiction the old-school way, by hand.

Unfortunately, these responses rarely work-- my dad's classic retort is, "Nothing at all?" In these situations, I generally fake my way to answer that satisfies the parentals' curiosity-- the most specific response I've dished out is, "Writing." No clue as to the content, because my parents frown quite deeply on my fanfiction tendancies-- quite a problem when that's the only thing you write well.

I really wish that my parents would take the time to watch Foster's and Transformers: Animated with me-- even if it's just once for each show. I think that they could enjoy it. I mean, without turning this post into a list of "101 Reasons Why WAKG17's Parents Should Watch Foster's with Special Add-On of 50 Reasons Why They Should Watch Transformers: Animated, Too," Foster's has enough humor and pop culture references to amuse any adult-- even dense, 18 year old me can catch some of them! The same is some what true of Animated-- my parents are both old enough to get the older Transformers series (generally referred to as Generation 1 or G1 by fans), and Animated has paid homage to the orignal series before. And even though the humor is more geared toward, I shudder to quote my dad on this as this would imply him being right on the issue, 8 year olds, it gets you to laugh-- laughter knows no age limits.

But sometimes we want what we can't get. But thanks for the added voice on the animation is not just for kids argument, T-- I appreciate knowing I'm not totally alone on this one.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #1649
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Yep, I agree completely. Fortunately I've always been very lucky in that my parents have never given me any hassle for my ongoing love of cartoons and animation. It probably helps that my mum is such an avid fan of the Tintin and Peanuts cartoons, so she understands.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #1650
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltsAKGirl17 View Post
....But sometimes we want what we can't get. But thanks for the added voice on the animation is not just for kids argument, T-- I appreciate knowing I'm not totally alone on this one.

This whole thing reminded me of an arguement I had with my Dad when i was 18 and was furious that he'd cancelled the programming to record an early morning episode of Mr Rossi searches for happiness. He wouldn't understand that it was loaded with meaning and more complex and wonderful than the real-life wooden rubbish cop shows he watched.

In the end though you have to forgive them for not fully understanding you. It's good to have things in your life that are beyond your parent's knowledge or comprehension -as well as all the fundemental things you share. It's part of what makes you an individual, a whole new person. I never understood why people enjoyed watching other people dancing. How is it entertainment? What do they get out of it? Anyway one time recently I just suddenly got it like I never had before. There was this guy dancing and he was really good at it and it was great to watch somebody doing something really well. Anyway then all these ladies joined in and that was good too. Before that moment I'd closed myself off to dancing as a form of entertainment just like a frowning anti-toon parent.

Another way of looking at it or explaining it to someone else is that a whole bunch of adults made Transformers: Animated and at least some of them would have put their heart and soul into making it and might have been really good at what they were doing (like the dancer). For you to respond to that, however old you are, is a really beautiful, human thing to do.

Aw....Snicket

Last edited by koosie; 10-03-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: bored formless nonsense
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote