Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #51
Taco Wiz
Newly Abandoned

Imancipation Complication was just so boring. I'd have to think before deciding the other four.
Taco Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #52
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Emancipation Complication probably wouldn't make my list, though it did make me kind of relieved that they didn't try doing elaborate song numbers more often. On the whole, and though Foster's did have a wonderfully catchy main theme tune, coming up with decent and memorable original songs just wasn't one of their strong points.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 07-10-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: There's an "E" in Emancipation
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #53
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I couldn't agree more. I disliked the ep enough to have never intentionally recorded it. I had forgotten about the song. But at remembering it now, it was just...weird and awkward.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #54
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Song and dance routines have never done much for me, in Foster's or most other shows, with South Park being a notable exception.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #55
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Personally, I love song and dance routines, but they're difficult to pull off, and when they go wrong they can be just plain embarrassing to sit through, as was the case with the song in EC, I felt. Some shows have it and some shows just don't. Animaniacs had a lovely lot of memorable showtunes in their repertoire, as did The Simpsons, in their heyday. It's been years since my last viewing of "Homer and Apu", and yet I still catch myself humming that "Who Needs the Kwik e Mart?" song from time to time. I'm afraid that I couldn't even remember how that "Designer Jeans" song from Schlock Star goes, without having to check the episode first.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 07-11-2009 at 03:23 AM. Reason: There's an "E" in Kwiki e Mart too
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #56
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

Which is a shame really, as a good chunk of the cast did come from musical backgrounds. (Tom Kenny, Grey and Candi in particular.)

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #57
Major Abbey
Settling In

Not a bunny butler!  

I could only think of three, and I'm sorry to say it's not a very original list:

1. Imposter's etc. I'm all for characters suffering for their art, but this just seemed extremely cruel (yes, I am a Frankie fan). Like Lynnie said, Frankie deserved that day off, and she deserved to go to the concert. No one really deserves to get treated the way she got treated. Even Herriman annoyed me in this one, and his appearances are nearly always entertaining for me.

2. I only have surprise for you This could have been entertaining, but the ending ruined it for me. All the good reasons have already been mentioned. Also, poor Mac.

3. Fosters goes to Europe Would anyone else have actually liked to see them actually go to Europe? That could have been interesting. I didn't like the ending either. Loved Eurotrish, though, and Herriman's obsession with schedules was funny (especially the "dictation" scene).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
Yeah I mean honestly, I really got a kick out of that episode. I thought it was a great horror movie parody and despite what any Frankie fan says, I LOVED seeing her as the "cliche" horror actress/victim type character.

It just worked so well with her and the whole chasing sequence with Bloo and Wilt and the others Ghostbuster style was nicely done. I really enjoyed this episode.
Agreed. I saw it a few days ago and enjoyed it. But I'm a horror fan, so...

Last edited by Major Abbey; 07-13-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Major Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #58
Traveler
Newly Abandoned
bloop  

First post!!

I'm new here, but not to Foster's.
Anyway...

1.) When There's a Wilt, There's a Way

A waste of time. It put Wilt under a lot of stress.

2.) Imposter's Home....

Need I say more? The ending was a complete letdown.

3.) Challenge of the Superfriends

It...tried....

4.) The little Peas

Again, a useless episode. I find the little pea guy annoying.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #59
Another Castle
At Home

I'm not a pessimist, but I think I shall get out my views on my least favorite episodes early, because I don't want to bring myself down after listing my 10 favorites. I'd rather moan then praise, rather than the other way around!

5. Where There's a Wilt, There's a Way
Too harsh on Wilt, it was frustrating for him and for me as a viewer. Weak story, and a very unsatisfying ending. A waste of time.

4. Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow (a short)
Lame, predictable, and has been done a hundred times before. Very similar to a very old and very obscure Simpsons short (Tracy Ullman era), and was pretty lame then as well. Was done much better in The Powerpuff Girls (A Mane Event). It's also a little creepy to see how big Mac's head is.

3. I Only Have Surprise for You
Same reasons as everyone else, this was nasty on Mac. He's a lovely boy and he doesn't deserve all this! Everyone else (including Frankie and Madam Foster, the other 'friends' and even Mac's own mother!) were just nasty. I don't like to think that all his birthdays have been ruined!

2. Fosters Goes To Europe
False adverting. Like I explained in my first post, this was frustrating for the characters and for the viewer, and as a European myself (I've never been to the US), I was really looking forward to how Europe would be portrayed in an American cartoon. I like how this show portrays American suburbia, and we have also seen Japan (Mondo-Coco) and Mexico (Let Your Hare Down). I would have loved to have seen the UK, Netherlands, Germany etc. It would perhaps be a little hard to fit into an ordinary episode though, but if the creators ever decides to do a one-off Fosters special in the future, they could write a wrong and actually send them to Europe!

1. The Bride to Beat
It seems everybody loves this one-but I hate it! (I know hate is a strong word, so I'll control myself). An severely dumb and puny premise (Bloo thinks Mac is getting married) and many plot holes (why would Mac plan to trash Duchess's party if he knew he would be busy that day? Would he be to busy to visit Fosters that day? He'd have to mention it to Bloo sometime. Why is he wearing that tuxedo at the home? Where is Mom and Terrance?) Excessively focuses on Bloo, who is really annoying in this one, especially the crying, and I just cannot see him trying maturity. Cliches galore, from a heavy-stereotyped France to Bloo's attempts at being grown-up ('bringing home the bacon', the newspapers, the pet names). Boring for Mac and very boring for me. And I hated the wedding scene. Call me over-sensitive but that's just something I don't like to see- a wedding getting crashed like that. Mac's reaction was hugely out of character, joining Bloo like that is just something he wouldn't do (does he hate his family?). A huge rip-off of The Graduate (there's a fine line between paying homage and ripping off), and I really missed the classic group dynamic of the Fosters five (Mac, Bloo, Wilt, Eduardo and Coco). I wished I never watched it.

PHEW! I didn't hold back did I? I'm glad to get it out of my system! Any episodes I don't like, I just try to forget about them and consider them non-canon.... as in it never happened (like Rocky V). It sounds petty and whiny, but that's just me!

Before I stop, I'll just make some minor comments regarding some other episodes. As you can tell, I don't like episodes with weak plots and jokes , and/or rely excessively on the characters frustrations, and have very unsatisfying endings ('torture' episodes), and don't feel like Fosters. That's why I agree with most of the comments on by far the most universally disliked episode ever, Impostors. It had some neat ideas (the 'Bloo is wrong' jar, the idea of a human pretending to be an imaginary friend), but was heavy cruel on Frankie, and was about as fun as prison (not that I'd know!).

As for the second most disliked episode (or so it seems), Everyone Knows Its Bendy. I don't dislike this one as much as everyone else, but it was a bit weak, and repetitive, but I thought it had a decent twist at the end. I don't mind watching it, but I can relate to the reason it is disliked so much- that Bendy got away with. It reminded me of a typical episode of Dexter's Laboratory (which I think is great!), in that (to quote Wikipedia) "most episodes end in an unresolved state with no easy solution offered for returning the characters to normal", so that the house was in ruins, Bendy got away with it and the gang were in deep trouble.

I'm not keen on episodes that rely too much on Cheese (I'm not a fan of him, and to be honest I'd rather him be a one off character. Sorry!), and I found Bloo Superdude and the Ceremony a little boring. Not to say it was bad or anything, but I explain more on it's thread.

After reading my rants, I can understand that I sound whiny and hard to please, but I think Fosters is and excellent cartoon, with great characters, a wonderfully unique premise, superb writing, fantastic designs and real soul! I just want to get what I don't like out of my system, rather than bottle it in, and so I feel more comfortable. I will soon make a start on my top 10!

Last edited by Cassini90125; 10-24-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #60
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Yeah, I think you're the first to dislike Bride to Beat that much. Have you seen the thread for that episode? Many of us had the same annoyances that you did. The absence of Mom and Terrence were a big one, especially with it being a family wedding. But then it was speculated that his cousin Tammy might be on his dad's side, so his mom wouldn't have any interest in going, and Terrence, he may have been there but not shown or he was being his usual rebellious self and didn't show up because he might think weddings are lame or something. I personally loved that episode as I have a thing for kids and weddings. As it so happens, the imaginary friend of mine whom I got most involved with was my imaginary "husband", and I daydreamed soooo many times what it might be like to get married for real at the age of 8 (or 7, or 12, as that's when I started imagining him and when I stopped). So I love seeing how other people (the show's creators) portray the thought of a kid getting married, even when it's just in the delusional mind of silly and egotistic Blooregard.

I can totally understand where you're coming from though. That's a very thorough list.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote