Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #21
Voxxyn
Banned

I really hope Craig and Lauren are paying attention to what Ditchy McAbandonpants and Mr. Marshmallow have said in this thread. They've done a wonderful job with making Frankie a very three-dimensional and diverse character who isn't tainted by the media's blind(and probably feminist-influenced) pampering of female characters.

If they're serious about making Goo the ninth regular cast member of Foster's, then they should give the same treatment to her. Her "perfect solution to a problem" persona would be fine if she was meant to appear only once or twice a season. But since they insisted on making her a near-regular in Season 4 while still keeping that flawless, 'deus ex machina'-esque personality--it's easy to see why so many people have become so annoyed with Goo(even though I love her).

And(swinging things back on-topic) I don't think it can be said enough just how horrible and traumatic "Imposter's" was. I REALLY hope the Foster's crew have taken the criticism and backlash to heart. Frankie and her fans deserve better.

Last edited by Voxxyn; 01-11-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #22
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchy McAbandonpants View Post
Nicely said, Mr. Marshmallow! With your point about characters "suffering for their art", you've really put your finger on something that I've thought about for a long time.

When I was a kid, I was a proper little misogynist when it came to watching cartoons; that is to say, I used to really dislike female characters, and find them really boring in comparison to their male counterparts. Looking back, part of that could be attributed to a good, healthy juvenile phobia of the opposite sex (girls?? Ewww, GROSS!!! ), but in other ways, I actually still stand by what I thought then, because female characters, particularly in older cartoons, are frequently one-dimensional, tokenistic and utterly bland Little Miss Perfects, included solely to add a bit of glamour and girl appeal and usually completely unwilling to get their hands dirty for the sake of humour. Penelope Pitstop, Daphne from Scooby-Doo, most Disney heroines...their role is never to be the one doing the pratfall, taking the anvil on the head, heck, even cracking a joke; they're always just there, being oh-so-pretty and oh-so-dignified, always coming out on top, whilst the less "delicate" male characters are the ones off carrying 100% of the comedy burden.

The most pronounced example of this that springs to mind is Lola Bunny from Space Jam. Surrounded by the crazy, idiosyncratic Looney Tunes gang , each of whom is a flawed, lovable loser in their own way, she swans through the film being smugly perfect and untouchable, with a teaspoon of "sass" and "sex appeal" (both of which are totally wasted on a young audience) apparently supposed to compensate for the fact that, in a cartoon comedy film, she does nothing funny at any point. Look at the basketball game; the rest of her Looney Tunes teammates get smashed about six ways from Sunday, often in very funny slapstick ways. Does Lola "take one for the team", even once? No - the one time she's in any danger, Bugs pushes her out of the way and takes the hit himself, completely cementing her role in the film, like so many toon gals, as comedic deadweight.

I've often praised Frankie for her "flexibilty"; when I say that, I primarily mean her ability to muck in and get down to the dirty business of making us laugh. Sure, she can do the glam thing, the sassy self-assured bit - but she can also be a hysterical fall guy, come out with some ridiculous gag, do something totally crazy and even engage in some good old-fashioned comedy violence. One of the things I respect most about Craig McCracken is that he's both willing and able to create universal comedy with girls at the centre, so even though it can go wrong (horribly, horribly wrong), I am willing to let rare botches like "Imposter's Home..." slide, because without episodes like "Bloooo", "Store Wars", "Cookie Dough" and "World Wide Wabbit" that allow Frankie to partcipate in the comedy just as much as her more extrovert male counterparts, she would be a much poorer character whom I doubt we would love half as much.
Wow, I completely agree and have nothing constructive to add to that because you've said it all.

Unfortunately yes, I think perhaps sometimes the "infallible token sassy, smart, female character who scoffs at the male characters who have to carry the weight of the funny on their shoulders while she sits around and be's desirable" thing might be fueled by not wanting to offend women or something, I don't know. But basically what I'm trying to say is that this is perpetuating the "women are inferior to men" menality, not fixing it. It doesn't show that women have common sense and always come out on top. It shows that they can't handle anything besides looking pretty and providing "diversity" in the cast.

Anyways, getting back on topic, one episode I didn't like was Where There's a Wilt, There's a Way. It was just really boring and any character and/or plot development that occurred was totally undone by the end.

Last edited by kageri; 01-11-2007 at 07:38 PM.
kageri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

To Mr.M, I don't see "Cookie Dough" as being cruel to Frankie, she got something she was obsessed with. Although it makes the cookies seem like crack or dope,etc... for her. Also "Big Cheese" was ebing cruel to just Frankie, Bloo had his treatment in "Mac Daddy"& I'm sure as heck another main character will live through that torture again soon.

1.Imposter's-Cruel treatment of a beloved character, plus the worst charcater in Foster's history.
2. Where Ther's A Wilt- Exactly the same as Imposter's besides the worst chracter thing.
3. EWIB- Only psitive thingis "I'm Punk Rock". Poor Coco, ED, Wilt & Bloo.
This look is cute though: :bloogrin
4.Phone Home-Boring.
5. IOHASFY- Boring

Why all the abshing on Adoptcalypse? IMHO it was a good episode.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

I didn't like The Big Cheese just because.... well, I didn't like it. It employed Goo of all people as an unwelcome deus ex machina, and having her and Cheese as the main characters of the same episode is like having to sit in the same room as Jar Jar Binks and Scrappy Doo (or some other character widely regarded as head-bashingly annoying) for half an hour. Also, Bloo hardly did anything. Yes, I know he's had his share of the spotlight in his own episodes but still. I'm a Bloo fan so I'm allowed to whine.

Cheese's list of diseases was pretty great though.

Last edited by kageri; 01-11-2007 at 08:34 PM.
kageri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #25
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Bloo View Post
To Mr.M, I don't see "Cookie Dough" as being cruel to Frankie, she got something she was obsessed with. Although it makes the cookies seem like crack or dope,etc... for her. Also "Big Cheese" was ebing cruel to just Frankie, Bloo had his treatment in "Mac Daddy"& I'm sure as heck another main character will live through that torture again soon.
Frankie may not have been tortured cruel, but I wouldn't call what happened to her a rather positive outcome. Same thing with Mac and Bloo being tickled in "Make believe it", yeah it's funny, but after laughing non stop your jaw hurts.

It's a matter of perspectives, anything you do long enough no matter how funny it is will end up hurting in the long run. This was just funnier because of the crack/cookie drug addiction set up they gave Frankie in the episode.

Bloo put up with Cheese in "Mac Daddy" but I would say there are bigger "torture" episodes for him then that.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:40 AM   #26
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Yeah but it's up there in the top 10 Bloo turture episodes. It's Cheese, no one not even the Cheese fan girls/boys could stand to be stuck with him. Not even Wilt can handle it!

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #27
billytheskink
Permanent Resident

I'm Punk Rock...  

Send a message via AIM to billytheskink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters home fan View Post
The idiot writer of Bloooooooo and imposters is CRAIG LEWIS!!!!!!

Look at tv.com,enter fosters, look for imposters, click craig lewis, and it says he also wrote the season 1 episode you don't like!
Perhaps I should have said "writing issue", it's the writing more than the writer that seperates "Blooooo" from "Imposter's".

It's all about relative entertainment value... or so it seems.
billytheskink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #28
Voxxyn
Banned

I think that makes things subjective. I thought "Bloooo" was a fun horror homage with some great Frankie moments. We saw her compassionate side(at the beginning with her genuine concern for Mac), her angry side, her strong side and her vulnerable side; all while being hot and smokin' without her sweater. Her suffering wasn't directly caused by some careless and inconsiderate jerk, which is what matters to me.

"Imposter's" had the entertainment value of eating broken glass.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #29
fosters home fan
(.¯??¯)

Yes?  

Unhappy an opinion/apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
I think that makes things subjective. I thought "Bloooo" was a fun horror homage with some great Frankie moments. We saw her compassionate side(at the beginning with her genuine concern for Mac), her angry side, her strong side and her vulnerable side; all while being hot and smokin' without her sweater. Her suffering wasn't directly caused by some careless and inconsiderate jerk, which is what matters to me.

I understand all of that(Blooooooooo is a great episode in my opinion)

I am terribly sorry to anyone who was offended by my comment I said earlier.

I just seriously hate "imposters" that's all.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #30
billytheskink
Permanent Resident

I'm Punk Rock...  

Send a message via AIM to billytheskink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post

horror homages aren't funny...
billytheskink is offline   Reply With Quote