Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
fosters home fan
(.¯??¯)

Yes?  

Exclamation I. found. a. writer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheskink View Post
I disagree. I had this discussion with Mr. Marshmallow some time ago.

The Season 1 unnamed episode continues to irk me more than the Season 3. It's a writer issue.
The idiot writer of Bloooooooo and imposters is CRAIG LEWIS!!!!!!

Look at tv.com,enter fosters, look for imposters, click craig lewis, and it says he also wrote the season 1 episode you don't like!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Voxxyn
Banned

Lewis isn't the only one responsible, though. It still hurts me how Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust and everybody else actually thought the extremely vile and cruel nature of "Imposter's Home" would be funny and well-received.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
fosters home fan
(.¯??¯)

Yes?  

Exclamation reply about horrid episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
Lewis isn't the only one responsible, though. It still hurts me how Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust and everybody else actually thought the extremely vile and cruel nature of "Imposter's Home" would be funny and well-received.

I guess they were ALL responsible,then but I will discuss this more in the goofturd thread. I'm also disturbed that they made the episode too
Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
I didn't see anything wrong or upsetting with "Bloooo". It was a very intense and physically harsh time for Frankie, but since it was a misunderstanding on her part and the hook-armed friend didn't really do anything remotely malicious, I'm able to enjoy it. It wasn't like a certain Season 3 episode that did nothing but abuse and destroy her in every way possible, and cynically mock and insult her fanbase.
I totally agree, I never let my personal feelings totally rob me of enjoying a movie, episode, or TV series unless it is a continuous jab or insult towards the character and it becomes a "mean spirited" attack on the character. What Frankie endured here to me was more like a bad day then a nightmare.

Frankie's treatment was done through 3 channels that to me, make the difference between a night in hell for her and a bad day for her:

1. Halloween based episode, so fear is kind of the point.
2. EVERYONE was having problems this episode.
3. Everyone misconcepted everything and everyone.

I think Blooo worked having Frankie as the typical girl who gets scared, especially with the art work in the dark rainy nights and seeing her frantic "POV shots" when she was looking for the hook guy. But more importantly, I do admit that I do enjoy SOME form of bad antics happen to my characters.

Example? I was just watching Animanicas Volume 2 today and a cartoon came up from the "Rita and Runt" portion. Rita, the small female cat of the duo was nabbed by a berzerker gorilla who wanted her as a "pet" and Rita didn't want to go. The gorilla beat, smashed, and pretty much made Rita a living toy.

Now, while I love Rita and find her to be a charming character, I enjoyed seeing her go through some hell just because it's interesting to see a character go through these changes. Just like in RL, everyone has a bad day. It all depends on if that torture becomes the main joke and nothing else.

Rita was tortured in various "toon" ways so it was hard not to laugh at it, knowing still it was a nightmare for her. Like with Frankie in "Bloooo" there was a purpose to it, it wasn't just directly making Frankie suffer and it was all part of the plot. "Imposter's" though didn't really derive any humor out of the pain.

The PAIN was the humor, and since this episode was handled in a realistic manner then a toony one, and Frankie was pretty much bashed at every waking moment of the episode (where as in Animaniacs, Rita eventually got some "justice") it was hard not to hate that episode, Frankie lover or not.

"Blooo" will always be one of my fav episodes because I think that episode shows the right way to handle making characters suffer for their art, while keeping the humor IN and the intentional character bashing OUT. Sorry that took so long .

Last edited by Mr. Marshmallow; 01-10-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
Voxxyn
Banned

Well said. That episode and "The Big Cheese" are examples of how you make characters suffer for their art, without being cruel and malicious.

What Ditchy McAbandonpants said at the end of his post is completely true. Craig, Lauren and everybody else must NOT forget how dangerously close they came to completely ruining the show in Season 3. They have rebounded, of course, but I hope that they've truly learned their lesson and that there will never ever be another hurtful fiasco like "Imposter's".

Last edited by Voxxyn; 01-10-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #16
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Cool Get the syrup in, 'cause here's a big portion of waffle.

Nicely said, Mr. Marshmallow! With your point about characters "suffering for their art", you've really put your finger on something that I've thought about for a long time.

When I was a kid, I was a proper little misogynist when it came to watching cartoons; that is to say, I used to really dislike female characters, and find them really boring in comparison to their male counterparts. Looking back, part of that could be attributed to a good, healthy juvenile phobia of the opposite sex (girls?? Ewww, GROSS!!! ), but in other ways, I actually still stand by what I thought then, because female characters, particularly in older cartoons, are frequently one-dimensional, tokenistic and utterly bland Little Miss Perfects, included solely to add a bit of glamour and girl appeal and usually completely unwilling to get their hands dirty for the sake of humour. Penelope Pitstop, Daphne from Scooby-Doo, most Disney heroines...their role is never to be the one doing the pratfall, taking the anvil on the head, heck, even cracking a joke; they're always just there, being oh-so-pretty and oh-so-dignified, always coming out on top, whilst the less "delicate" male characters are the ones off carrying 100% of the comedy burden.

The most pronounced example of this that springs to mind is Lola Bunny from Space Jam. Surrounded by the crazy, idiosyncratic Looney Tunes gang , each of whom is a flawed, lovable loser in their own way, she swans through the film being smugly perfect and untouchable, with a teaspoon of "sass" and "sex appeal" (both of which are totally wasted on a young audience) apparently supposed to compensate for the fact that, in a cartoon comedy film, she does nothing funny at any point. Look at the basketball game; the rest of her Looney Tunes teammates get smashed about six ways from Sunday, often in very funny slapstick ways. Does Lola "take one for the team", even once? No - the one time she's in any danger, Bugs pushes her out of the way and takes the hit himself, completely cementing her role in the film, like so many toon gals, as comedic deadweight.

I've often praised Frankie for her "flexibilty"; when I say that, I primarily mean her ability to muck in and get down to the dirty business of making us laugh. Sure, she can do the glam thing, the sassy self-assured bit - but she can also be a hysterical fall guy, come out with some ridiculous gag, do something totally crazy and even engage in some good old-fashioned comedy violence. One of the things I respect most about Craig McCracken is that he's both willing and able to create universal comedy with girls at the centre, so even though it can go wrong (horribly, horribly wrong), I am willing to let rare botches like "Imposter's Home..." slide, because without episodes like "Bloooo", "Store Wars", "Cookie Dough" and "World Wide Wabbit" that allow Frankie to partcipate in the comedy just as much as her more extrovert male counterparts, she would be a much poorer character whom I doubt we would love half as much.

(Oh, man, this is so off-topic it's untrue...I'm sorry! Is that OK? )

Last edited by Ditchy McAbandonpants; 01-14-2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot who only proof-reads AFTER he posts.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 AM   #17
Fomalhaut
Who speaks like Goo and sings like Eurotrish

Sing with me, Eurotrish!  

Send a message via Skype™ to Fomalhaut

Okay, back on topic...

Seriously, I haven't got many problems with Imposter's. It was cruel to Frankie, but it had its moments. (*gets killed by Frankie fans, with Cassini at their head*) I find it hard to pick, mostly because I find myself saying "I didn't like this and that episode... oh wait, it had the moment when...". That's why I won't put Europe in this list, despite the cruel ending. Eurotrish is my ultimate favourite character.

Sheesh. Okay, let's get down to it.

5. Phone Home
Boring. Boringgg. Boooriiinggg. Saw it once, found it nice (especially the Wilt bits ), but then... Bloo struggling with that poor phone all along was tiring, and there was absolutely no chance of getting a surprise at the end, as we knew all along it wasn't an IF. The second time I caught it I decided I'd rather study History (I had serious problems with remembering all the dates, it's not that I hate that subject, History lovers!). Sight for Sore Eyes was slightly boring too, but not in my least fave 5.

4. Emancipation Complication
Saw it once, and that was enough for me. It's not that bad, just not interesting enough to watch it several times, like I do with my fave, Bus the Two of Us. And, excuse my European point of view, the whole Lincoln stuff etc. was waaay too "American", I don't really know how to put this. Bloo and the videogames was a nice touch, but didn't bring this episode up.

3. My So-Called Wife
The Coco part was a nice touch. That I don't really like this one has nothing to do with me not being a Coco-fan, as "Cuckoo for Coco Cards" was one of my faves. No, Ben E. Factor lying, the stupid contest part... just uninteresting. And Coco at the beginning goes a bit OOC just to seem "worse".

2. I Only Have Surprise for You
This episode had its moments, I liked the "action-Mac" and his speech, it was nice... but the ending hurt me so bad. Sweet little Mac, my favourite (he somehow managed to replace Wilt and Terrence!). I won't forgive Bloo.

1. Blooo
When I first saw it I was like "OMG! How nice, my fave ep...". They aired it the second time, and the magic was gone. Despite the funny horror-parody.

And now I see, I have forgotten to say "Dinner is Swerved", in which I found Charlie the chicken leg the most annoying character EVER (and it made me hungry like 30 minutes after lunch), "Hiccy Burp", in which the 10 minutes of hiccups and burps were boring and gross...

"Up in the sky, there's a star for everyone"
Fomalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
LaBloo
Banned
Zombie Fighters!  

1. I Only Have Surprise for you. : How Dare.....
2. Bendy's... Don't Remember the name, but, how dare he destroy's the foster's lives.
3. Camp Keep A mac Good Down. Don't like the bunnies
4. Emacipation Complication
5. Squeakerbooooooooooooooooox Bloo Should teach that Girl A Lesson and mac should help Because it's his friend, right?

Last edited by LaBloo; 01-13-2007 at 11:26 AM.
LaBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #19
Ricky Fieldmouse
Revived Member

HELLO THERE. I'M DOCTOR RABBIT  

Send a message via MSN to Ricky Fieldmouse
Default Why are people using this?

5. I Only have Surprise for You - If Mac threw a piece of cake at Bloo at the end, this ep. wouldn't be on the list.

4. Sight for Sore Eyes - "Stevieeeeeeeeeee!!!!! My eyes make gross sounds when they move!"

3. Imposter's Home - Cheeseball. 'Nuff said.

2. Blooooo! - Had as much dialoge as a "Courage the Cowardly Dog" episode.

1. Emancipation Constipation - When you mix innocent imaginary friends with hard to understand politics and marketing... you create something worse than "The Andy Griffith Show".

Last edited by Ricky Fieldmouse; 01-11-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Ricky Fieldmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #20
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchy McAbandonpants View Post
The most pronounced example of this that springs to mind is Lola Bunny from Space Jam. Surrounded by the crazy, idiosyncratic Looney Tunes gang , each of whom is a flawed, lovable loser in their own way, she swans through the film being smugly perfect and untouchable, with a teaspoon of "sass" and "sex appeal" (both of which are totally wasted on a young audience) apparently supposed to compensate for the fact that, in a cartoon comedy film, she does nothing funny at any point. Look at the basketball game; the rest of her Looney Tunes teammates get smashed about six ways from Sunday, often in very funny slapstick ways. Does Lola "take one for the team", even once? No - the one time she's in any danger, Bugs pushes her out of the way and takes the hit himself.
I gotta talk about this, since this brings up another issue I've been bothered with. What you said about Frankie taking one for the team is true, I do feel the fact she gets bonked, bothered, and put through hell like the other characters is a good sign of, in a way, equality and like you said, flexibility.

The issue of Lola though bares more to a bigger problem I have noticed and that's females in media getting "special treatment". Alot of female toons don't have anything BAD happen to them, same with female characters in horror movies of more recently today. Think of the Jurassic Park movies for example.

All three films, know how many women died? NONE ZERO ZIP! How many males died? A hell lot more then you got fingers or toes (don't worry I'll swing this back into topic). Same thing has happened in Animaniacs, Ben 10, Rune Soldier, Darkwing Duck, Bonkers, and even Duck Tales.

All have suffered huge faults where female characters are magically saved from the burden of being bashed, blown up, or taken down the same multiple amount of pegs males do. And now the tie in: Goo. Goo is hard for me to like sometimes because alot of her antics tend to ruin really good episodes.

She didn't have jack happen to her up until "Make believe it or not" and even then, the fact her ego more or less became the plot of that episode shows she still has some peg knocking to be done. I was very upset with that episode because basically, Goo showed herself to be some kind of super god.

That she can think of ANYTHING and she'd be right or she'd always win. Hell, look at her alien creations, half the imaginary friends people think up are very simplistic and basic. Goo's are complicated, detailed, and much more unique, this is still kind of "showing off" her imagination superiority.

Even if she did learn a lesson, I still think that episode was so completely off kilter as far as logic and character representations go. I'm not sexist to female toons, and I don't hate them or Goo for getting the better treatment in the occasional episode or series I watch. But it does ruin my enjoyment of them.

Frankie's treatment in "Cookie Dough" "Bloooo" and "The Big Cheese" are fine examples of how someone can have a rotten day and not turn into a character bashing episode. Character bashing of any kind is one of the worst things to find in a toon, that's why I disliked "Surprise" and "Imposter's".
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote