Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #61
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post
I can totally understand how people feel, with how Frankie was robbed of her triumph, but aren?t we all outside of the show?s target demographic? I?m guessing that, unless a hoard of children protest and decry the episode?s ending, I don?t believe the Foster?s Crew is going to change how they handle future episodes.
There is no show in existence that doesn't attract people outside of its target audience, and naturally as adults or young adults, we apply rationale and logic to what we see and while we may over analyze things its not unheard of. People over analyze cartoons long before Foster's, look at a Teen Titans forum sometime.

I agree with what Pitbull and Radical said. No one is complaining that Peas genuinely supports Frankie, in fact that's the ONLY thing I found remotely likable about him. The problem we find it a little insulting that this annoying one shot character appears out of the blue and robs one of Frankie's few star episode moments away from her.

This was an unnecessary and unneeded change to a small moment of triumph we were happy to see Frankie accept but she was more or less "robbed" of it. Frankie's smart plan was removed through a plot device by having Peas be so micro sized and whisper into her ear, it was a cheap (but clever) means of working him into the story.

Yet that still doesn't change the fact his little ear pep talk taints the victory Frankie rightfully earned all by her cute self by having some walking talking micro machine IF take it away from her. The fact he supports her doesn't really change what he essentially did to her character as part of the show.

Normally I prefer to stay KNEE deep in the show and talk about the characters as their own actions (I do the same thing with movies) and not just say "Oh the writers made him/her do/say that". But this was just plain sneaky and most importantly, not needed nor was it necessary. It was fine just the way it was before.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 AM   #62
Nyo
Little Miss Awesome Sauce

*bang!*  

Thanks to Sparky I managed to watch this via MegaUpload and all I have to say is:

OMGNO. >_<

Peas...I really hope he's a oneshot. His voice is extremely annoying, although I admit he has funny lines ("CURSE YOU AND YOUR LONG LEGS!" and "VIVA FOSTER'S!") during the episode, but eh. Not exactly all that fond of him, but I do like how he defends Frankie during the whole Jackie/FN scene.

But taking one of Frankie's star moments away? No. What I hate about this ep is that it makes Frankie look like someone who gives up easily and doesn't both to try and find a way out of a mess, or make it work to her advantage, like she did in TBC.

Me personally? C+/B-.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #63
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

While we're on the topic of the show's demographic target audience, it's obvious that CN DOES realize and acknowledge that Foster's has a LOT of older fans, in their teens and those who are adults, otherwise why give Hot Topic the sole rights to distribute the Foster's merchandise, like clothing and keychains, outside of CN's own website? I can't recall every having seen any 4-10 year-old children in a Hot Topic store, and a lot of the younger ones in that demographic would probably be scared of the people who work there!

It also makes me wonder if CN isn't dictating that "preachy" episodes like Peas be made in concession to the show's creators being able to include things like romantic plot-lines, etc., things which CN originally said they didn't want, because it would make the show "too much like a soap opera".

If you've watched any soaps lately, you'll know that Foster's is LIGHT YEARS ahead of them in character developement and intelligent writing.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #64
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Medikor posted another possible interpretation of this episode which, if you haven't seen it, really deserves a look:

http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/sh...5250#post65250

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 11-25-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #65
ptps
At Home

Best Friends Forever  

I'm gonna copy paste Medikor's response here for those too lazy to click on the link XD Thanks Cass, for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
I just gave Peas a watch and something struck me very early on in the episode. I believe Peas is actually a representation of us Frankie fans. Peas was pleading to the other friends about how ungrateful they are about everything she does for them and the house but his words, much like ours, fell on deaf ears.
Like us, Peas truly appreciated Frankie yet was unable to let her know or cheer her on when she needed it. But what really intrigued me was that he did eventually manage to help her out. I may be grasping at strings here, but I really feel that the people behind Fosters made this episode as a nod to us. Yes it was hard to see Frankie actually be hard on herself, but I honestly feel that it was us that helped her pick herself back up and help her out when she needed it most.
That is indeed an extremely valid point. Hmm. Okay, Peas is forgiven. ...Not. Not entirely, no.

Just rewatched Imposter's to refresh my memory and I take my words back. Imposter's is an episode I NEVER want brought back. Urgh.
ptps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #66
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

That's the idea I got, too.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #67
FamoKrishina
Newly Abandoned

Finally saw the ep...meh, it was okay. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. Peas' Mickey Mouse voice was really annoying. >_O And I didn't like how he stole Frankie's triumph. The "Peas representing Frankie's fans" thing sounds plausible, and does make Peas look better, but even if the theory is true, I still think they could have conveyed it better. >>;

I did like how Peas stood up for Frankie, though. I liked the Fluffer Nutter and Jackie scene too. XD

So overall, I'll just say that it was a medicore episode. Nothing to really hate, but nothing to really love either.
FamoKrishina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #68
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

I will have to say the episode was marginal at best. I could take it or leave it; nothing really impressive other than the theory of the pea representing all the Frankie fans (me included). I think that would be really nice.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #69
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

Jeez, I hope this isn't the last of Season 5, I thought they were building up to something awesome.

Okay, first of all, I'll make it clear: I didn't like The Big Cheese. Others loved it, I thought it sucked. I have since revised my opinion to: It was okay, by Fosters standards, which is pretty good. But of all the episodes to feature a "show the episode from a different perspective" (yeah, it has been done before) this one would not have been my pick. I would have preffered it be, say, Say It Isn't Sew (but that's a fanfic for another day).

So, it got off to a bad start for me, which was only compounded by using a lot of old footage which just made me scream mentally "Budgeting Shortcuts!!" Peas was a nice character but not a cool character, I'm afraid I too have to claim he was "dull". The funniest part of it was in fact, the moment I saw Peas. It cracked me up how they inserted him in there.

But the ep was unfunny (not boring, however. Somehow Peas had the strange ability to hold my attention). Like, no real jokes the entire ep. By Foster's standards, this bombs.

I for one, did NOT like the Jackie/Fluffer Nutter part. I just get uncomfortable around people doing that sort of thing, and this crossed over to my viewing experience. Especially how they had gone to the roof to be alone. I felt as if I was intruding.

If this one was for Cheese fans, it was a dissappointment. Cheese barely featured, he just stood there and walked around. I have a like for Cheese, despite his annoyingness, and this was his most dull outing so far.

Then there's what seems to be the sticking point for most people, the big ending. I also disliked it. I wasn't the travesty that people seem to be making it out to be (and I'm sure you don't mean to sound that way, but the interwebs distort), but it was annoying, and pointless, and anticlimactic.

It's not all bad news, though. I was rooting for Peas, despite not actually liking him much, and actually felt sad when he got all dejected. I thought to myself "How could he possibly get a happy ending? We know his goal is unreachable!" and I would have loved his moment in the sun if not for it blocking out Frankie's.

So, not a bad episode per se, but not good by any standards, and certainly not funny. I'm sorry, I don't like trashing Fosters, but it is how it is.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #70
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Ok I watched the ep (Thaaaaanks Sparky!) and read the reviews. I feel like I've got to go watch it again now. With a few exceptions, it looks to me like you was all watching a different episode or at least watched it with blinkers on. Poor old Peas!

He may be whiney and annoying and it's a bit odd the way he likes Frankie but I really liked him. The way he's made makes him totally useless in the world but he trys his best and is rooting for Frankie all the way. As for him taking the credit for her turning around 'The Big Cheese' , she'd inspired him to do that, to be her only friend when all was lost thanks to the idiocy of others (she's the only one in the ep who ever notices him too). When he was totally defeated I loved that bit, nobody had heard him or even knew he was there. Wanting to do good, to help those he admired got him through. Clinging to a stupid idea....

Crackers made an appearance too.

As for the Jackie Khones, Fluffer Nutter situation, I thought that was brilliant.Jackie might be pretty cool, but Fluffer Nutter is one classy lady. You gotta treat her right. She'd be better off with the tall guy.

Yeh this episode didn't dissappoint me a bit. Not too Cheesy and pretty damn funny. Give the little guy a chance.

Aw....Snicket

Last edited by koosie; 11-28-2007 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Fluffer Nutter is 2 words apparently
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote