Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Supporting Cast

Notices

Supporting Cast Discuss everyone else in the show, both human and imaginary. For discussions about single, specific characters only.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Radical Dude View Post
I liked Artie, but it's a shame that it wasn't a real character.
Perhaps he was, at some time in the past, but was adopted before the show began. He could well have made a big impression on Madam Foster, making it easy for her to pretend to be him.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
Hoshikaji
Newly Abandoned
*snap* Fetch a cake for the boy.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooCheese View Post
Haha. When he said, "I'm fo' yea's ol'," he held up three fingers on one hand and one finger on the other hand. He has four fingers on each hand. Why didn't he just hold up all four fingers on one hand?
^______^ People who study how children learn have found out some pretty awesome things. When children are learning to count, and they realize that they can use other abstract objects as counters, they start learning how to "chunk" numbers (for example, we "chunk" five on our hands because we know we have 5 fingers). Artie might be exemplifying that stage, or he might not have the motor skills to do it properly (so he holds up a 3 and a 1).

What I find most fascinating and amazing is that the writers and storyboarders of Fosters take such things into consideration. It's such a small detail, but it's so true to real life! They really pay attention to children for what they are, and bring them to life that way. It makes the show all the more endearing for me.
Hoshikaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #13
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

Yeah, but... Bloo is five years old, and he has plenty of motor skills...
Kzinistzerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #14
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

Send a message via AIM to BlooCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshikaji View Post
^______^ People who study how children learn have found out some pretty awesome things. When children are learning to count, and they realize that they can use other abstract objects as counters, they start learning how to "chunk" numbers (for example, we "chunk" five on our hands because we know we have 5 fingers). Artie might be exemplifying that stage, or he might not have the motor skills to do it properly (so he holds up a 3 and a 1).

What I find most fascinating and amazing is that the writers and storyboarders of Fosters take such things into consideration. It's such a small detail, but it's so true to real life! They really pay attention to children for what they are, and bring them to life that way. It makes the show all the more endearing for me.
That could be true, but personally, I think it's because holding up four fingers on one hand that only has four fingers would look kind of wierd. The viewers (human beings, I hope) are used to seeing five fingers, so if Arty held up four fingers on his four fingered hand, the viewers might think he held up five fingers, especially if they weren't paying attention, because they hold up all the fingers on their hand to show the number five, not four. That's just what I think. You could still be right. I hope I explained that well enough.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
Kippixel
At Home

Who the jigglewad is Arty? I can't remember...
Old 08-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #16
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

Send a message via AIM to BlooCheese

Um...he's the green IF from I Only Have Surprise for You--the one who said, "I'm fo' yea's ol'."
Old 08-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
Sims Katie
Settling In

Arty raised a few questions that have been bugging me for a while. I know he wasn't real, but it made me wonder - if they're having a "birthday party" for him, does that mean IFs age? I know in "Big Picture" the friends in the photo look exactly the same over a 20-year time span, but at the same time in "Mac Daddy" wasn't there a scene where Bloo and Mac were pictured as elderly?

Sprinkle sprinkle little bar
What I wonder is a cat... keeshh
Sims Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:44 PM   #18
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

And yet somehow mac still had brown hair.

No that was just Bloo's mind going all wonko. From what i've seen the ydon't age physically (how else do you get a big baby?) but would somewhat mentally as well as just numerically.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:21 PM   #19
Hoshikaji
Newly Abandoned
*snap* Fetch a cake for the boy.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzinistzerg View Post
Yeah, but... Bloo is five years old, and he has plenty of motor skills...
::grins:: But Bloo doesn't have fingers. That's such an interesting point though, that Bloo is only five years old. I have a feeling that the "age" of an IF doesn't matter as much as what kind of mental capacity its creator had in mind. Mac probably made sure (at the tender age of 3, such a precocious child) that Bloo would have mental capability beyond his "age." And while I think that the IFs mature over the years, I don't think they're necessarily "mature." Young Man River's IF is a brat just like him!

Arty's "age" is rather moot anyway, seeing as he's not a real IF, but I'm still impressed at how the animators captured an aspect of human behavior. So cute!
Hoshikaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

Well, he seems to be able to grow fingers whenever he wants to. He has them at one point in Hiccyburp to make " signs.

But yeah, I see what you mean, Eduardo, or cheese, for instance.