Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Supporting Cast

Notices

Supporting Cast Discuss everyone else in the show, both human and imaginary. For discussions about single, specific characters only.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Default Kip Snip

I figured that the Snipster deserved a thread of his own in the Supporting Cast section. He's gone for long enough without one, and he is my favourite Foster's villain.

Sure, Kip was callous, dishonest and glibber than a glib thing from Glib Town, but what can I say - I liked the evil producer. His dubiousness of character proved to be highly treacherous for Bloo, but it was also the source of a lot of slick dialogue (Bloo: "Hey, a limo!" Kip: "Yeah, I parked right next to it!") and he made a perfectly menacing and convincing threat to Mac and Bloo's friendship (it was refreshing to see a genuine villain, as opposed to a confused and misguided kid like Terrence, provide an external threat from outside of Foster's). Indeed, he's a bad boy through and through, but he's also exceedingly good at being nasty in that delightfully underhanded way. And I guess that's why I have to love him, in spite of how he treated Bloo.

I'd really appreciate it if he made another appearance in a future episode of Foster's, in part because I don't want to think of him rotting in a jail cell for the rest of his life on account of false flippin' advertising (harsh - but at the very least, he'd be in a minimum security prison, right?). Plus, I think that there is still some potential for him to return as an adversary to Bloo and the other friends. Not that I'm holding my breath exactly, given Foster's track record for allowing the majority of their antagonists to recur. Berry hasn't been seen since her debut episode in Season One, Bendy likewise didn't stick around for long, and it's liable that Little Lincoln and Moose will fade into similar obscurity. But they would curry this girl's favour no end if they allowed us at least one more glimpse of him.

Now, get into your cage like a good little celebrity, eh?

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 08-24-2008 at 06:49 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say i liked Kip Snip or would even like to see him again but I got to admit he was a good antagonist and greatly less sympathetic than Berry and certainly funnier than Little Lincoln. I do kind of wonder why he couldn't just have let Bloo at least go home between gigs. It would have averted Bloo's eventual rebellion but I suppose greedy people generally don't understand enlightened self-interest.

The show often plays Bloo's self-indulgence off against the more outward facing characters so it was nice to see someone completely mercenary highlight Bloo's nicer, dependent side.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosie View Post
I do kind of wonder why he couldn't just have let Bloo at least go home between gigs. It would have averted Bloo's eventual rebellion but I suppose greedy people generally don't understand enlightened self-interest.
Interesting point. Kip had, unbeknownst to Bloo until the latter stages of the episode, taken full legal control of him, and I assume that he wanted to keep his money-making minion detained at least partially for the purposes of convenience - so that he’d be ready and available for use at any given time. Also, removing his ability to come and go freely meant that the chances of Bloo being restored to his former, simpler life were effectively minimised.

Stalling a potential rebellion on Bloo’s part was unlikely to have been much of an issue for Kip – had he any real respect for the intelligence or autonomy of imaginary friends he would probably never have treated Bloo so shabbily in the first place. As many evil masterminds end up learning the hard way, that tiny little detail they underestimated is usually what comes back to sock them in the jaw eventually (something which Kip discovered all too literally).

That said, I find it curious that the normally very insightful Wilt, Coco and Ed were unable to pick up on prompts which had Kip himself ripping his nails out – I guess they were too absorbed in the spirit of the televised event to pay attention to the higher meaning of Bloo’s words.

EDIT: Oh yes, and of course keeping Bloo locked away within his spare time would also have ensured that Kip could make off with all the appearance fee booty with no questions asked. That must have been a pretty big incentive.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 04-15-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Voxxyn
Banned

Is it just me, or does Mr. Snip look almost identical to Declan Desmond from The Simpsons?

(FYI, Desmond first appeared in a 2003 episode, and has recently resurfaced in a 2007 episode called "Springfield Up")

I think Kip Snip is cool, he would be a good character to bring back.

Last edited by Voxxyn; 04-16-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
Is it just me, or does Mr. Snip look almost identical to Declan Desmond from The Simpsons?

(FYI, Desmond first appeared in a 2003 episode, and has recently resurfaced in a 2007 episode called "Springfield Up")
Heh heh. It's in the pony tail, I guess. And the grey business jacket. He's missing that delectable pink shirt, though.

As a side note, I believe that Kip's name was derived from that of a character in Little Shop of Horrors (the musical), Skip Snip. He was one of three business representatives who approached Seymour wanting him to sign onto some lucrative contract deals to go commercial with his giant carnivorous plant. Don't go looking for him in the movie version though, because he's not really there. They modified the "Meek Shall Inherit" sequence so that (among other things) it's more of a mishmash of anonymous agents bombarding him with offers. I can't tell which one's supposed to be Skip, if any.

Hmm, now I suddenly have "Mean Green Mother From Outer Space" stuck inside my head.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 04-17-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

I'm not sure if anyone else cares, but the added benefit of subtitles on the Foster's Season Two DVD appears to have finally provided the answer to an age-old question surrounding my friend Mr. Snip - that is, the name of the movie which he'd previously produced (I know he claims that he had nothing to do with it, but question is, do you believe him?). Well, it has come up once or twice before (primarily in the Foster's Trivia thread). I was never quite certain what Kip was saying in that line, and had kind of assumed he'd used the word "Goofballs" (eee, can of worms there) with a slightly slurred "f", but Kaytea said she'd interpreted it as "Gooballs" and, it being as good a guess as mine, I decided to go with that term for a while. Turns out both of us were wrong, since the correct answer, according to the subtitles, is Gooples in Space.

So there you have it.

One question that remains, I guess, is what is the heck is a Goople? I tried typing the word into an internet search engine, but it didn't really yield any conclusive results.

Oh, and I'm aware that this is a double post, but c'mon, it has been months, and I was really eager to share this latest information. It seems strangely important to me, being one who thrives on whatever fresh snippets (no appalling pun intended) of Kip skinny I can scrape from the barrel. Given that his role in "the Sweet Stench of Success" presently appears to be the only helping of him that I'm ever going to get, I don't think you can blame me for wanting to milk it for all it's worth. And besides, I'd still be interested in hearing a few other people's opinions on him, if indeed they have any - the poor evil producer receives so little attention, all told. I know that nobody can possibly like him to the same pathological extreme that I do but, whether your outlook be positive or negative, you know that the door's always open.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 08-24-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 AM   #7
Zeitgheist
At Home
It's not enough to succeed! Others must fail...  

Ah, those Gooples, always messing around with my frozen fish

I LOVE Kip Snip Sure, he was insensitive, mean, superstitious, power hungry and a jerk, but... I loved his demeanor. The way he acted. I like the snappy I-only-care-about-myself attitude <3 It's fresh, spunky and how I want to be! And the sunglasses and ponytail perfected him
Zeitgheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
I’m aware that this is a double post, but c’mon, it has been months, and I was really eager to share this latest information.
Back-to-back posting is seldom a problem when it's been more than 15 minutes or so since your previous post, so rest easy, you are definitely in the clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
I know that nobody can possibly like him to the same pathological extreme that I do but, whether your outlook be positive or negative, you know that the door’s always open.
I know what you mean by "pathological extreme", although it never happened with me. No really, it didn't. Uh-uh. Nope.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 10-25-2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Punctuation error corrected.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Haha, ok, if you say so.

I always translated that word into "Goofles", whatever on earth that was. I just figured it was some name for a "breed" of characters that were created just for the movie. Never thought much about it. But ah, I was wrong. It's "Goobles", whatever on earth that is.

Whenever I hear (or read) Kip Snip's name, I can't help but continue in my head "...is his name. Producin' is his game. He promised me fortune and fame but now I can't go home and he's to blame. Hey!"
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgheist View Post
Ah, those Gooples, always messing around with my frozen fish

I LOVE Kip Snip Sure, he was insensitive, mean, superstitious, power hungry and a jerk, but... I loved his demeanor. The way he acted. I like the snappy I-only-care-about-myself attitude <3 It's fresh, spunky and how I want to be! And the sunglasses and ponytail perfected him
You're alright by me, Zeitgheist.

You do a very nice job of summing up how I pretty much feel about Kip - he may be a jerk, but he is very deliciously jerky. No matter how much anguish he causes Bloo, he's always a pleasure to watch, and I do have to feel incredibly sorry for him at the end. I personally don't believe that any of his actions quite justify him being sent down for the rest of his life. Poor Kip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Back-to-back posting is seldom a problem when it's been more than 15 minutes or so since your previous post, so rest easy, you are definitely in the clear.
That's good to know. I was kinda aware of the 15 minute rule, but even so I usually like to play things safe. A natural born rule-breaker I ain't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
Whenever I hear (or read) Kip Snip's name, I can't help but continue in my head "...is his name. Producin' is his game. He promised me fortune and fame but now I can't go home and he's to blame. Hey!"
Something I find interesting about that song is that it’s actually the first time in the episode that we hear Kip’s name. Despite fulfilling a pretty pivotal role throughout “the Sweet Stench of Success”, he somehow manages to get through the first two thirds of the episode without receiving his formal introduction. Well, let's hope that if they ever issue a Foster's soundtrack, that song will be on there...I'll be a tad disappointed if not.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 10-26-2007 at 08:49 AM.