Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #41
Government Man
Evil Minion in Training

The legends...they're true!  

These days? They were always ridiculously expensive. I remember spending an entire week's allowance as a kid buying a police car. Buying the entire station was something you had to save a lifetime for (at least for an impatient 10-year old).

For Direct X (at least on my Windows 2000 machine), look for a program called "DXDiag.exe" in the Windows System directory--the icon is a blue ball with a cartoon "X" in it. If you have that file, you have Direct X (and running that program will tell you what version you have). If you don't have it, go ahead and install it. The worst that can happen is that one of your programs will demand a different version. I've got a music composing program that insists on having Direct X 8.1, and only 8.1, before it will install. The company (which no longer updates the program) put out a spoof program that will trick the installation program into thinking that the Direct X version is correct.

I suppose you could always make a backup first.

Last edited by Government Man; 03-17-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Government Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #42
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Happily, there's nothing on the laptop that needs to be backed up.

It turns out that DX10 is on the machine, all packed into a cabinet file and otherwise uninstalled. It's been unpacked. Now, as soon as I have five hours to kill, I'll reinstall the game and see if it helps. Many thanks, dude!

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #43
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

It was there but packed? Never heard of that before. Is it like a "zipped" file? Either way, I'm glad things worked out, Cass. One less worry and frustration. The fairies have been sent on their way.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #44
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

I am reinstalling the game even as I type this; have been for around 3.5 hours. Whether it'll make any difference or not remains to be seen, but it certainly can't hurt.

...and the last of the SecuROM-free games is in. Now I have to stop and think for a bit. Leave things as they are and play (if I can) with that, or install the infected games and try to run them using a pirated exe file? Decisions, decision...

Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #45
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

... and DX10 made no difference whatsoever. The game-play graphics are still as slow and choppy as before. A better videocard and a considerably faster processor might help but I doubt it, and I don't think either is possible anyway. Buying this machine was a mistake. When I go to replace my main system next year, the people who advised me to buy this unit, people who are more concerned about price than power or performance, will be told to stay away.

On the bright side the no-CD crack/pirated exe file works perfectly so if I can ever get my main system reformatted or at least cleansed of viruses and such I can safely install and use the SecuROM-infected discs. My thanks to the people who make such things... and may EA Games and Sony be condemned for making such things necessary.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #46
Another Castle
At Home

Wasn't aware of this thread, it deserves more attention!

When meeting a new person, say their name three times to yourself.

When buying grapes, take one grape to the till. When it is weighed it won't register on the low-tech unsensitive scales so you will get it for free. Repeat this procedure a hundred times or so, and hey, presto! You have yourself a free bunch of grapes.

Alpha November Oscar Tango Hotel Echo Romeo
Charlie Alpha Sierra Tango Lima Echo
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote