Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Foster's Discussion

Notices

Foster's Discussion Discuss general Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends topics here, that don't fit in any other specific category.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
niagarafeline
Newly Abandoned

"So you finally believed the wolf! How little boy who cried of you."  

Default A Lost Claus: A FHFIF Ramble

So, I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I wrote this on my blog, and I felt like sharing it with all of you!

--

As I finished purchasing a new pre-lit Christmas tree online, I suddenly had the urge to listen to Christmas songs and watch Christmas specials, despite it being August. And what better choice than the FHFIM episode, A Lost Claus? Not only was this my favorite Foster's episode, but it was also my favorite Christmas special.

Why, do you ask, is this particular Christmas special so, well, special to me? Well for one, the jazzy background music was beautiful and I am such a sucker for good instrumental jazz music (I would KILL for the score to this episode). And the design of the background scenery was amazing. It gave off that... that feeling. That wondrous feeling you get when you wake up one quiet, calm winter morning to find everything covered in thick, glittering blankets of snow. And of course, the parody bit on A Christmas Carol was hilarious. A Jamaican Bloo: What isn't funny about that?

But what truly got me was Mac's storyline. There was a certain innocence and purity to this episode that made it feel almost... magical. It's easy to forget that Mac is still only a child because of how mature and wise he is. But the second you see Mac start to cry, you realize Mac is just that: an innocent, eight year old boy. Never before had I wanted so badly to believe that there really was a Santa Claus.

Half-way through the episode, I started to feel a deep ache in my heart. I've known for a few months now that Foster's was nearing its end, but only now had it hit me. This wonderfully creative, innovative, witty show was ENDING. No more crazy anitcs and stunts by Bloo, no more wise and adorable Mac, no more random Coco, no more of Eduardo's cries of pure terror, no more "I'm sorry. Is that okay?", no more uptight Mr. Herriman, no more literally crazy Madam Foster, no more kind and stressed Frankie, no more FOSTER'S. But as quickly as the panic came, it left, leaving behind warmth and a sense of understanding. There was nothing to be upset over for we were given six wonderful seasons, which is a lot better than 12 horrible, repetitive seasons.

This show is proof that a series doesn't have to have ten thousand sexual innuendos and continuous, mindless violence (while that certainly is amusing) for a show to be entertaining. It relied alone on its intelligent wit and good humor. FHFIM is definitely one of the greatest cartoons to have ever appeared on CN, and maybe even in animation history.

-----
Bloo: Do you realize what this means?!
Mac: It means that everything in the world is a LIEE! *Cries*

No matter how many times I watch this, Mac crying ALWAYS gets me. Don't you just wanna run into the screen and hug and squeeze and coddle him?

And you know, for a good second, I thought Madam Foster MIGHT have been Mrs. Claus O.o.

Last edited by niagarafeline; 05-02-2010 at 03:40 AM.
niagarafeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Excellent post. Two thumbs up. I agree with every word, no kidding.

I love "A Lost Claus" too, one of my favorite Christmas specials for obvious reasons. And I too want to coddle Mac when I see him distraught. I felt it during ALC, also in "House of Bloo's" when he goes to bed for the first time without Bloo on the bunk above his. And then in "Affair Weather Friends" when he sees Bloo start walking out with "Barry". Yeah, those times definitely tug at my heart strings. Really, I hate to see any of the characters so sad, but with Mac just a child, I guess I have a bit of maternal feelings toward him, and I just want to do whatever I can to kiss his boo-boos and make things all better. And then I remember it's just a cartoon. That can't stop me from loving him to bits, though.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

Very well-written, niagrafeline! It was very perceptive, especially when you touched on Foster's ending; I wholeheartedly agree with you-- it's better that it end while it's still good and our last memories of it pleasant.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
KazooBloo
Foster's Legend

Still havent seen this special but its almost xmas time so I'll take a gander.