Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 12-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #21
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

upstate NY. They could be Wolfs in retrospect.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 AM   #22
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
upstate NY. They could be Wolfs in retrospect.

They DEFINATELY are not Brown Recluses, since that is WAAAY out of their range! They most likely are indeed a species of Wolf spider or Tegenaria and quite harmless.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #23
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

oh good! They still scare the shizzle out of me, though. Massive creepy scurrying things. I love snakes, though, is it illegal to own an anaconda? I want a gavail, too.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #24
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
oh good! They still scare the shizzle out of me, though. Massive creepy scurrying things. I love snakes, though, is it illegal to own an anaconda? I want a gavail, too.
In New York State, unfortunately, it's pretty much illegal to own ANY animal, other than a run-of-the-mill cat or dog or livestock. All large boids are banned, along with every species that's native to the state, and Gavials are prohibited under INTERNATIONAL law(CITES), as these are highly-endangered. Yes, NY bans all crocodilians, too. In the city of NY, it's even worse; tarantulas are banned as "dangerous", along with ferrets(under the totally incorrect assumption that they are wild animals), iguanas, all constricting snakes(such as Ball Pythons and Corn Snakes), Bengal cats(a domesticated breed), Emperor scorpions and Hermit crabs-all under the premise that they are "dangerous".

I am SOOO glad that I live in South Carolina!

pitbulllady
Old 12-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #25
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

hermit crabs LOL!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #26
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Don't forget the incredibly rare "Canine Hyena," pbl.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #27
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Don't forget the incredibly rare "Canine Hyena," pbl.
Ooops...how could I forget THAT critter! I take it you've been following the thread on Arachnoboards then. It never ceases to astound me how many people on that board-a forum devoted to keeping EXOTIC and to some, controversial wild animals-are actually strongly in favor of banning many kinds of animals, if not ALL of them. Many fail to see any connection between banning the animals THEY keep, and banning everything else, though. They cannot comprehend that the same folks who are behind the push to ban Pit Bulls and ferrets are also behind the move to ban their scorpions and tarantulas, and that these are also the very same groups who want to see every last dog and cat in this country sterilized and no more puppies and kittens being born, EVER.

But then, if the "hyena dogs" were legal in New York, wouldn't they eat all the tarantulas and other "dangerous" spiders running around up there? I'm pretty sure they'd devour all the child-eating Pit Bulls, but then, the dope fiends and gang-bangers(and according to the media, those are the ONLY people who would want a Pit Bull in the first place)would all start wanting hyena dogs, so I can see how that would be a problem.

pitbulllady
Old 12-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #28
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

they found an alligator in a drug house, guarding the place. It was a few years back. We have coydogs up here, thats a feral dog/coyote mix. I think they would own any heyenas. They are incredibly wily, i've been out several times and can't get a single one.

My uncle in Michigan had a wolf, he had it taxidermied when it died. Seeing a wolf standing on a rock in the living room scared the heck out of me when i was 5.

Last edited by Partymember; 12-19-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Partymember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #29
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
they found an alligator in a drug house, guarding the place. It was a few years back. We have coydogs up here, thats a feral dog/coyote mix. I think they would own any heyenas. They are incredibly wily, i've been out several times and can't get a single one.

My uncle in Michigan had a wolf, he had it taxidermied when it died. Seeing a wolf standing on a rock in the living room scared the heck out of me when i was 5.
I take it that you've not been around many hyenas, have you? A Spotted hyena is the same size as an English Mastiff, and has the most powerful jaws of any land animal. I've seen coydogs-we have those here in South Carolina, too. I've also been around live hyenas and seen what those jaws can do. One of my Pit Bulls might last....oh, three seconds in a fight with a hyena, and then it would be lunch, and hyenas LOVE to eat dogs! A friend of mine who had an exotic animal rescue outfit had a hyena named "Jake" who was his house "dog"(they are not canines, by the way, not even related). For some reason, Jake hated me with a passion. After he exploded through a locked storm door(he lived in the house, all 180 pounds of him)and bit through my steel-belted radial tire down to the rim without so much as seeming to strain his jaw muscles, I got the point that Jake wanted to kill me, and decided that dropping in unannounced would not be a good idea. There is a heckuva big difference between that and someone having a tarantula for a pet, let me tell ya! That can really put something like a little spider into perspective, when it comes to really being confronted by a large flesh-eating animal like that.

pitbulllady
Old 12-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #30
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

it depends on the intelligence factor, are they smart? The coydogs up here are more wolf than coyote, they hunt in packs. Large packs. I really really have been trying to get one, but they are wiley animals. They only show up when they want to, and no amount of scent block and wounded rabbit calls can bring them out. I think if the hyena is as smart as a coydog, which are smart animals, then they could take them. Of coursem, the coydogs might not last long now that the wolves are coming back up here.

How big are your coydogs? Ours are wolf-size.