Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #21
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Good point. During the entire Scooby-Doo series, over 300+ episodes, I recall them using the word "dead" just once. This on a show that dealt with ghosts, zombies, and other dead things every week? Give me a break.
It's funny you should mention Scooby Doo because when the LIVE action movie came out, I remember parents were complaining about it, saying that it was bad for a kid's movie to have scary images, monsters, and ghostly visuals in the movie. And I just asked myself "What the HELL is wrong with you people?".

Scooby Doo is all ABOUT monsters, ghouls, and goblins and crap. What'd you expect, a fluffy fuzzy bunny demon who looks like Mickey Mouse? Cartoons don't need adult, mature stuff in them 24/7 but kids do need a concept of REALITY. Even in animation, people die and people bleed, it's apart of our life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
What we really need is another "Gargoyles" to show how a great cartoon can be done. It was dark, mature and violant but it was still family friendly and very intellagent. or when Xanatos said one of my favorite lines ever "Pay a man enough and he'll walk barefooted to hell". All this on an afterschool cartoon.
Gargoyles was an excellent example of how bad ass a Disney show can be, I've never seen a darker Disney show then that. I remember they even had Demona claw some kid's face out, and you see him holding his face with blood coming out of his hands. Although I don't recall the "hell" line.

Another stupid thing they use to censor toons, guns. Look at the 90's Spider-man series, Teen Titans, The Batman, they have freaking laser guns and high tech future weapons we'd normally see in Star Wars or Futurama. Bonkers and Darkwing showed real guns and bullets.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #22
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
Another stupid thing they use to censor toons, guns. Look at the 90's Spider-man series, Teen Titans, The Batman, they have freaking laser guns and high tech future weapons we'd normally see in Star Wars or Futurama. Bonkers and Darkwing showed real guns and bullets.
I think the "differance", if any, is that cartoon characters can take abuse where animated people (debatable differance I guess) can't. I don't understand the logic behind it but I do try to make even a little sence of it.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #23
Wendi
sup B)

lol hay sir.  

I think i will be the only person on this board who is gonna say this: I don't mind toilet humor.

some people base the whole thing on this. I don't LOL.

Anyways. WHAT I LIKE ABOUT CARTOONS.

I love Traditional style animation. Like... LOVE it! It's awesome when you see that cartoons are still animated this way!! of course people are still going to use computers to do this, but I love when you can still tell it was drawn frame from frame.

What I don't like.

The over use of computers in animation. DON'T GET ME WRONG. I like Foster's flash animation because its good! but I'm sick of 3D movie cartoons, and stuff. DD: I guess because I want to study 2d animation and storyboarding, and I don't want 2D animation to be dead. HEUHEUHEE...

but whatever.

cartoons are cool.
Wendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

Send a message via AIM to BlooCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
Cartoons don't need adult, mature stuff in them 24/7 but kids do need a concept of REALITY. Even in animation, people die and people bleed, it's apart of our life.
I wholeheartedly agree.

It's nice to shade the kids from violence and pretend that death does not exist, but one day, they will find out. Isn't living in a realm of falsified security in which everything is perfectly happy, only to be devastated when reality makes itself known much worse than already knowing beforehand that horrible things do happen and being prepared for the worst? Children need to be aware that dying is a possibility and that the red stuff that oozes out of them is blood.

But I'm not saying, "Let's turn all the cartoons into gory shows!"

I like cartoons because they give me a chance to laugh. A lot of times, I find cartoons to be much more entertaining than shows with real people in them.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #25
emperor26
Foster's Legend

What I like about cartoons-You can voice anyone, from a ten year old kid to an alien of unknown origin.

What I don't like about cartoons-Stereotypes. It seems some cartoons glorifies it like it's a good thing.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #26
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

What I really love about cartoons is its use of sound effects. Ever since watching the Road Runner cartoons, I've grown to love cartoon sound effects, especially the really popular ones.

The only thing I don't like about cartoons (American ones at least) is how it can sometimes go from laugh out comedy to a dramatic moment. I really can't think of an example now, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #27
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

The talk about censorship reminded me of an incident where 4Kids edited One Piece (which I don't watch) so that a cigarette became a lollipop. A LOLLIPOP.

The thing I hate about "destroy" instead of "kill" is that it gives a line a different meaning entirely. "Destroy" seems more like a psychological torment or something to me than actually killing someone. Plus, if they meant the same thing they probably wouldn't have used either.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #28
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Cartoons have alot of ways like that, it really does give off a very warped perception of death when you think about it. When Slade died in the Teen Titans show and they very VERY clearly showed him as a rotting skull faced zombie when his mask came off.

Slade simply said "he has a condition", no, condition is what you say when you got a cold or something, the guy was DEAD and he went to hell, condition my ass. There was a joke about the "destroy" word in Looney Tunes: Back in action movie. The Acme Chairman (Steve Martin) was telling this to Marvin the Martian.

"Memo to Marvin the martian, I want you to destroy the duck. And when I say destroy, I mean kill him, obliterate him, make him dead".

It was just a funny poke at the misconception of "death" and "destroy" in it's place. All censor negativity aside, one thing I LOOOOOOOVE about cartoons.....seeing toons blush, it's by far the cutest thing toons do.

Be it in anime or regular cartoons, seeing them blush makes me love animated romances much more then regular RL movie ones.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #29
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageri View Post
The talk about censorship reminded me of an incident where 4Kids edited One Piece (which I don't watch) so that a cigarette became a lollipop. A LOLLIPOP.

The thing I hate about "destroy" instead of "kill" is that it gives a line a different meaning entirely. "Destroy" seems more like a psychological torment or something to me than actually killing someone. Plus, if they meant the same thing they probably wouldn't have used either.

You would hate what Funnimation did to DragonBall Z then. It's sad really.
One thing that I will always like about cartoons is that they are something you can share with you're children. I've been trying to collect all my favorite shows (mostly from the 80's like the original Transformers and Ninja Turtles but new favorites like Fosters too) on dvd so I'll have them to share with children that I hope to have someday.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #30
Fomalhaut
Who speaks like Goo and sings like Eurotrish

Sing with me, Eurotrish!  

Send a message via Skype™ to Fomalhaut

What I like:

- Cartoons that are drawn in a way in which you DO see that proportions etc. are quite, euh, changed, BUT! In that universe it looks fine. Good examples are Foster's, PPG, and Dexter's Laboratory. A bad example is KND (the universe, okay, and seeing everything, okay, but those HUGE hands and feet bothered me. A lot.).
- They make me laugh and forget my worries. Since I watch Foster's, I also feel somewhat more balanced.

Things I hate:

- Cartoons drawn in such a horrid way it's unbearable to see, just to make it look different than the others. Take Ed, Edd n Eddy - I simply COULDN'T BEAR watching it for the horrid animation style, despite the fact I liked it... it took me a while to get accustomed to it. And look at the head of the boy in Squirrel Boy.
- Potty humor. It can be fine, as it was in the initial episodes of Billy and Mandy, but then it got too much over the show and I was no longer their fan.
- Avoiding touchy subjects - and I'm not only talking about death, which the people above me have already finely described, so I won't go into further details why. Now, I don't say a cartoon has to be all drama and tears, but laughing out all along just to make me smile makes me turn off the TV. Man, I don't think seeing a little drama, love (not hardcore sex, obviously) or blood will traumatise children!
- Cardboard characters or no depth (Cramp Twins, not to mention the horrid drawing style), and character stupidities. I don't remember where, but once there were some characters which needed to go find the spring of a river to see why it has dried off. Fine, but there was a part of the riverbed which was covered with stingy weeds. You'd think they'll pick up a hatchet or walk by the side of the riverbed, but nooo, they actually DID CRAWL IN THE MIDDLE OF IT and kept on crying "Ow, spines...!". That hurt.
-> another thing here is PERSONALITY. Seriously, I have seen a cartoon in which one moment a character hid under the bed "Aah, I'm scared!" and two seconds later turned into a courageous hero. I mean, come on.

Anime:

- Poorly drawn ones. I know lots of anime aren't famous exactly for the great style, but in certain ones it's so evident it makes me cry. E.g., a character is walking, but you see its movements in pieces. You can totally see they used, like 4 or 5 drawings to make him/her walk down a hallway. Or, in an episode of Pokémon there was a scene with people queueing in front of a shop, and then get bored and go away. Well, instead of taking up the VERY DIFFICULT task of making some of them turn around and walk off, they simply made part of the queue DISAPPEAR. It was horrible.
-> Yet, there are anime in which you can see the people MOVE and queues do not disappear or such. Shaman King and Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water are among the best examples.
- Lots of anime are bloody. VERY bloody. If it's unnecessary, I hate it, but a little blood doesn't hurt, it' still better than one of the scenes in Pokémon where a character picked up a rose, and said "Ow, it stung me, look!", but you couldn't see anything.
- Hentai. 'Nuff said.
-> Bloody anime. Heck, not EVERYTHING that is drawn is made for kids! Look at Hellsing (not the cartoon, that was dumb, but the OVA based on the original manga), for example. Blood and death, yeah, but it's not just for the sake of horrifying poor people, as there IS plot and at least they realised you can't have ghouls and vampries without blood. Dragonball was a baaad example: there was plot, actually, but 90% of episodes went with Goku and crew beating up evil guyz. With lots of unnecessary blood in addition, and it soon got boring. In Hellsing, 10% of an episode is spilling blood, okay, but there IS dialogue and other stuff, not only *punch punch* "OW!!!". That's why I love Hellsing (what is more, the characters have depth and personality!) and hate Dragonball.

That's it for me, will add if anything else comes to my mind.

"Up in the sky, there's a star for everyone"

Last edited by Fomalhaut; 01-10-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Fomalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote