Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
Voxxyn
Banned

I hate it when cartoons meant to be children/family-friendly become overly absorbed in cynicism and irony, and thus the stories become upsetting and even cruel.

Sadly, as much as I love Foster's, it used to be very guilty of that--you probably already know which episodes I'm talking about. I'm glad that Season 4 was such a wonderful rebound after the show's magic was nearly ruined by the first half of Season 3. I hope that Season 5 will continue the current high, and that there will never again be another hurtful and meanspirited mess like "Imposter's Home".

Please don't single me out as "some treehugger who wants everything to be 100% happy", because I'm NOT. And please don't use Looney Tunes or any other kind of slapstick cartoon humor as rationale for such needless cruelty, because these are COMPLETELY different kinds of "pain" in completely different circumstances. In my opinion, the physical torture endured by the Looney Tunes gang is a more pleasant fate than the emotional and psychological malice in the worst episodes of Foster's.

Last edited by Voxxyn; 01-09-2007 at 03:00 AM.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

There's only one thing I hate about cartoons, and one thing only: Censorship. It needs to wander out into a street and get run over by a greyhound bus.....again and again and again and AGAIN! Seriously, I can't freaking stand censored toons.

Mostly in part with any use, mentioning, or related incidents to death or many of the several D words toons avoid. Death, dying, dead, die etc. Every time I watch Teen Titans, it bothers me when a character wants to die and instead she says "destroy me".

Or "you attempted you destroy us". Come on, this is pathetic. Disney's cartoons have featured people being impaled by sea ships, boiled in lava, strangled to death, and shown an actual version of Hell and the devil in the Hercules movie. If Disney can talk about death, I don't think it's too hard for others to do so.

It bothers me that cartoons are being tampered with just because people are afraid children might wake up one day and realize when you get hurt....YOU BLEED and you might also die. I'm not saying shove death all over in toons, but I don't think acting like it doesn't exist in cartoons is any better.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #13
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Good point. During the entire Scooby-Doo series, over 300+ episodes, I recall them using the word "dead" just once. This on a show that dealt with ghosts, zombies, and other dead things every week? Give me a break.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #14
Voxxyn
Banned

SpongeBob SquarePants uses "dead" and "kill" as an expression of speech in nearly every single episode. I find it interesting that a cutesy children's show like that can get away with such, yet it's somehow inappropiate for an action-packed and intense toon like Teen Titans.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
SpongeBob SquarePants uses "dead" and "kill" as an expression of speech in nearly every single episode. I find it interesting that a cutesy children's show like that can get away with such, yet it's somehow inappropiate for an action-packed and intense toon like Teen Titans.
It is interesting what they consider appropriate, or inappropriate. That bit with Sponge Bob makes no lick of since to me; I don't get it. I am really starting to guage other cartoons off of Foster's in appropriate content. But remember - the US is an Orwellian society (which I hate).
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
There's only one thing I hate about cartoons, and one thing only: Censorship. It needs to wander out into a street and get run over by a greyhound bus.....again and again and again and AGAIN! Seriously, I can't freaking stand censored toons.

Mostly in part with any use, mentioning, or related incidents to death or many of the several D words toons avoid. Death, dying, dead, die etc. Every time I watch Teen Titans, it bothers me when a character wants to die and instead she says "destroy me".

Or "you attempted you destroy us". Come on, this is pathetic. Disney's cartoons have featured people being impaled by sea ships, boiled in lava, strangled to death, and shown an actual version of Hell and the devil in the Hercules movie. If Disney can talk about death, I don't think it's too hard for others to do so.

It bothers me that cartoons are being tampered with just because people are afraid children might wake up one day and realize when you get hurt....YOU BLEED and you might also die. I'm not saying shove death all over in toons, but I don't think acting like it doesn't exist in cartoons is any better.
What we really need is another "Gargoyles" to show how a great cartoon can be done. It was dark, mature and violant but it was still family friendly and very intellagent.
I'll never forget when Goliath caught that sword in his hand and we see blood start to drip from his hand in the first episode, or when Xanatos said one of my favorite lines ever "Pay a man enough and he'll walk barefooted to hell". All this on an afterschool cartoon.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #17
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck2k View Post
It is interesting what they consider appropriate, or inappropriate. That bit with Sponge Bob makes no lick of since to me; I don't get it. I am really starting to guage other cartoons off of Foster's in appropriate content. But remember - the US is an Orwellian society (which I hate).
Well, many many Spongebob fans are adults, so i guess it would be able to slide.

and we are SO 1984...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #18
Carlaz
Foster's Legend

Things I like about cartoons:
  • The hours of entertainment.
  • Creative escape from everyday life.
  • A well written cartoon & characters can bridge several generations. Eg: Flinstones, Scooby Doo.

Things I dislike about cartoons:
  • Mindless or poorly written episodes.
  • Poor character development or uninteresting characters.
  • "Toilet" humor.
  • Unnecessary carnage.
Carlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #19
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

Spongebob isn't really a kiddie show.

Well, I like to think it isn't. XD

The death thing is what ruins a lot of dialogue. Look at YuGiOh. I'm going to killerrrrimean SEND YOU TO THE SHADOW REALM.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-09-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
Ricky Fieldmouse
Revived Member

HELLO THERE. I'M DOCTOR RABBIT  

Send a message via MSN to Ricky Fieldmouse

I hate cartoons that have so much bland humor, that it's not really humor at all. *SquirrellBoyCOUGHCOUGH*

MISSION: Destroy 4Kids.