Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Imaginary Friends

Notices

Imaginary Friends Discuss the main imaginary characters: Bloo, Wilt, Eduardo, Coco, Mr. Herriman, Duchess, and Cheese.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #101
Another Castle
At Home

That's what I thought I heard, but it confused me a bit because he isn't a real rabbit- he is an imaginary friend with the appearance and instincts of one, so would a real dog eat him?
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #102
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Yeah, and a dog would certainly be able to tell the difference because a rabbit would have the smell and actions of "prey", while an IF, even if they look like one and have the same instincts, would smell completely different to a dog. And I doubt that scent would indicate "prey". Which is making me wonder something else- would an IF carry the scent of the human who created them, or do they have a scent all their own, like every other living animal? I'm thinking the latter, but since an IF is a "part" of their creator, maybe it's the prior.

The puppies and the big dog at the beginning of the episode certainly saw the IFs no differently than they did the humans, so to me it appears they already know that the IFs are more "alpha" than themselves. They didn't see the IFs as prey, or even playthings. They saw them just as they saw the humans- companions in the pack and someone who could feed them.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #103
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
would an IF carry the scent of the human who created them, or do they have a scent all their own, like every other living animal? I'm thinking the latter, but since an IF is a "part" of their creator, maybe it's the prior.
Definitely the latter. There's simply no way that Louise could possibly have the same scent as Cheese.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 10-17-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #104
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Haha, good point. But he may have originally carried her scent, and it just.. changed.. after he experienced life for a few hours. Or minutes.

Yeah, I'm still leaning more toward the latter too. Even children when first born carry a slightly different scent then their mother does. It's just the way living animals are made up. And in Foster's world, IFs are living "animals" of sorts (humans, too), so I'd think that rule of nature would apply to them too.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #105
Major Abbey
Settling In

Not a bunny butler!  

Like I said earlier, I think it's just his natural instinct to be afraid of dogs. I know he's not a real rabbit, but he can obviously relate to them in some way (remember "Can't keep a good Mac down"?) so maybe he shares the same fears.

You've all made good points about how the dogs see - or smell - IFs, but I don't think Herriman knows that. He just sees a dog and instantly assumes it'll attack him just because he's a rabbit. The problem is not the dogs themselves, but his phobia of them, which is obviously very bad.

The whole episode really proves your point; the puppies weren't dangerous to IFs, and the first one (I can't remember its name, sorry) clearly got along with Eduardo, so they probably do see them as humans. Mr Herriman, on the other hand, sees them as a threat to his life because of his species ("someone has let loose hounds to destroy me!"), so he becomes terrified at the mere thought of one in the house. Put it this way; imagine you were trapped in a large place with someone - or something - who was trying to kill you. You'd hardly be very happy, would you? (and yes, I do know they weren't trying to kill him. I'm just seeing it from Herriman's point of view)

So, long story short; dogs aren't really a threat to IFs; it just depends on which species the IF is meant to be.

"I'm Mr Herriman and I approve this message."
Major Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #106
Another Castle
At Home

What outfits have we seen him wear altogether? There's of course the "classic" suit, his pjamers, a Victorian-era swimsuit (which is more old-fashioned that the home itself!), and his hippy suit (LYHD). Any others?

Alpha November Oscar Tango Hotel Echo Romeo
Charlie Alpha Sierra Tango Lima Echo
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #107
fosters-fan
At Home

Send a message via AIM to fosters-fan

To be honest, after rewatching Store Wars and Busted, I remember why Herriman isn't really my favorite character on the show. He calls Frankie a slacker when she's busting her butt doing all chores every single day! All he does is go around, marching around and giving orders like he's Napoleon or something!

Yeah, I know I'm gonna get the 'he's supposed to be bossy' answer, but he pretty much talks down to Frankie like it's his job. Oh, and remember this line from Destination: Imagination?

: Miss Frances, you are paid to cook and to clean, not for your naive and misguided opinions about imaginary friends!

I don't know about you, but I view that as not only talking down to Frankie, but just downright sexist!

-Eduardo, 'Eddie Monster'
fosters-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #108
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

Herriman was pretty much the poster boy of those product of his/her time individuals, in his case being brought up during a time where it was socially acceptable in some circles to treat those working under you as just mere workers who must unquestionably do things to their standards. I personally always enjoyed how out of touch he was with most facets of the modern world.

As a small aside, I've recently played both of the Batman: Arkham games (Asylum and City) and I found it funny that Tom Kane who does the voice of Warden Sharpe pretty much does the same voice as Herriman. Which begs the question if given the choice who would be the worst to look after, Bloo or The Joker? I mean on one hand you have the living embodiment of pure malevolence and chaos, and on the other you have a guy in a purple suit. Tough call.

Last edited by taranchula; 07-19-2012 at 08:24 PM.
taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #109
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranchula View Post
who would be the worst to look after, Bloo or The Joker? I mean on one hand you have the living embodiment of pure malevolence and chaos, and on the other you have a guy in a purple suit. Tough call.
:lol:

That should be engraved on a plaque.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #110
fosters-fan
At Home

Send a message via AIM to fosters-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranchula View Post
Herriman was pretty much the poster boy of those product of his/her time individuals, in his case being brought up during a time where it was socially acceptable in some circles to treat those working under you as just mere workers who must unquestionably do things to their standards. I personally always enjoyed how out of touch he was with most facets of the modern world.
Yes, but times have changed. Herriman's comment towards Frankie about being paid to clean and cook and not for her opinions was still pretty sexist to me. If I were Frankie, I would sue Herriman for sexism, because I'm pretty sure being sexist at work can get you in legal trouble.

Also, if it was any other woman that Herriman talked down or made a sexist remark to, I'm sure she'd punch him square in the face and quit on the spot.

-Eduardo, 'Eddie Monster'

Last edited by fosters-fan; 07-26-2012 at 10:41 PM.
fosters-fan is offline   Reply With Quote