Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
emperor26
Foster's Legend

Default Asperger Syndrome

Does anyone knows about this condition?

I'm just curious, and sorry if I brough it up.

That is all.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Voxxyn
Banned

I'm diagnosed with it. It's related to autism, and it's mainly characterized by social awkwardness, narrow but intense interests and peculiarities in speech and language... all of which describe me in some way.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
emperor26
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
I'm diagnosed with it. It's related to autism, and it's mainly characterized by social awkwardness, narrow but intense interests and peculiarities in speech and language... all of which describe me in some way.
Thanks for the info, Voxxyn.

The reason I ask that question is because that my parents thinks I might have this condition.

But, I want to make sure whether I do or not.

Again, thank you.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxxyn View Post
My younger brother has this condition, which sadly went undiagnosed until well into adulthood. He's been labeled "retarded", "ADD/HDS", you name it. It's just take that long, I guess, for research to catch up and figure out that this is NOT a form of mental retardation, but my brother basically fell through the system. Everything you said fits him to a T, though I know that each individual is different. One of his speech peculiarities is that for much of his life, he refused(or actually couldn't) refer to certain objects or people by their names, so he made up names for them. He is virtually incapable of writing with a pen or pencil, yet he can type accurately.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

You should certainly visit The Asperger Disorder Homepage. I've been in contact with many people with Asperger's online, as I am asexual and asexuality is rather common among people with Asperger's; therefore we have many in our community. So in general people in the asexual community are encouraged to learn about Asperger's.

Please remember that while it's good to learn about the disorder on your own, it's never wise to self-diagnose. Find a someone qualified to evaluate you.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I understand this probably might not be a "valid example" but on the show Boston Legal, a character named Jerry Espensen suffers from this disease and alot of the symptoms you mentioned match how he acted in the show.

It looks like alot of shaking, emotional distress, fumbling kind of thing, of course it's just something I saw and thought might be helpful to share.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Voxxyn
Banned

Asperger's isn't a disease, at least not to me. It's a set of complex mental symptoms that can have both positive and negative effects.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
derangedperson
Newly Abandoned
NYARGH!  

Smile

I was diagnosed with it in my junior year of HS. Ever since I was younger, I was using bigger words than an eight-year old should know, developed a massive interest in music, movies and writing, and still have (to a degree) an annoying tendency to focus in on one thing and beat it into people's heads.

But other than that, I'm fine.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #9
emperor26
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
You should certainly visit The Asperger Disorder Homepage. I've been in contact with many people with Asperger's online, as I am asexual and asexuality is rather common among people with Asperger's; therefore we have many in our community. So in general people in the asexual community are encouraged to learn about Asperger's.

Please remember that while it's good to learn about the disorder on your own, it's never wise to self-diagnose. Find a someone qualified to evaluate you.
Thanks for the website and your thoughts, Sparky. I appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
LaBloo
Banned
Zombie Fighters!  

I Have A Book About AS. My Brother has.
LaBloo is offline   Reply With Quote