Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #1551
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

I took a trip down memory lane and watched one of my most favorite movies from childhood, and that movie is none other then Disney's animated all animal version of Robin Hood, which is in the top three of my favorite big screen re-tellings of the Robin Hood legend. (The other two being the classic Errol Flynn outing and the Mel Brooks spoof, "Men in Tights. I thought Prince of Thieves was okay, but nothing really to write home about.)

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #1552
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I LOVE the Robin Hood movies! Disney's of course was the first one I was acquainted with as a kid. Prince of Thieves was the first "big" movie I saw, and oh yeah, Men in Tights is freakin' hilarious!

Prince John- "I have a mole???"

Man oh man oh man... I just love them all! As I got older, it included the classic ones for the history and costumes. It was my first taste of a passion for all things medieval. And 13 medieval costumes later, I've still got that passion. And it's not ending anytime soon, I can tell you that much.

As for the last movie I watched, I think it was Masterpiece Theatre's "Sense and Sensibility" last weekend. More awesome costumes and history. Such a classic story, I love it.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #1553
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
Men in Tights is freakin' hilarious!

Prince John- "I have a mole???"
Let's not forget my all-time favourite moment from that movie:

Blinkin - I CAN SEE!! *runs into a tree* Nope... I was wrong!
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #1554
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

A mix of two of my favorite things: courtroom media (ala Law and Order mostly) and horror. I really enjoyed this movie despite the heavy use of courtroom drama and I felt the whole "exorcism" and actions of the possessed girl felt really realistic.

I gotta say, at a mere 4 and a half bucks previously reviewed at Blockbuster, this movie was totally worth it.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #1555
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Iron Man

Hmm, well, taking into account that I know next to nothing about the original Marvel creation upon which this based (I'm a lot more familiar with Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" - of which, I note, the temptation not to exclude from this particular flick was clearly too strong - and of course the Ted Hughes' creation of the same name who went on to inspire the movie The Iron Giant), I didn't really think that this was all that great. I do really like Robert Downey Jr's garrulous acting style (it's particularly good in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), but otherwise I had a pretty hard time getting into it. That said, those final few moments were seriously awesome - without giving anything away, they went and did something which I've been wanting to see done in a superhero movie for a long, long time. So, hurrah for that!

There was the post-credits scene too, which was kind of lost on me, but I take it from the immense amount of whooping going on in the seats around me that we were witnessing something truly dynamite.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 06-22-2008 at 08:53 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #1556
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
There was the post-credits scene too, which was kind of lost on me, but I take it from the immense amount of whooping going on in the seats around me that we were witnessing something truly dynamite.
It was quite possibly, the single biggest moment for comic books, comic book movies, and comic book geeks to date.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #1557
emperor26
Foster's Legend

The Incredible Hulk

I was finally able to watch this film yesterday, and this film is indeed truly incredible (pun not intended).

Unlike Ang Lee's Hulk, this version has more action (and drama), the actors did a great job in their respected role, and even the ending suggests a sequel in the future.

So far, one of the great films this year.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #1558
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Vagabond

A really well-made French movie from the mid-80s, done in semi-documentary style, which opens with the discovery of the body of a young female vagrant who has frozen to death in a ditch, and then goes backward to show how she came to be there, documenting her journey across the French countryside, the various individuals she encountered along the way, and her gradual decline into total degradation and despair. The technique of having the supporting characters intermittently turn to confide their thoughts and feelings directly with the camera, whilst always keeping the protagonist herself at a fairly reserved distance, is an effective one, and makes for an interesting framing device to this haunting and understated drama. Beyond witnessing the despondency, and occasional horror of her situation, we never really get the chance to understand or get close to Mona as a character, giving us the strange sensation of being detached onlookers to the entire sordid affair, which only serves to make the film feel cumulatively all the more chilling as it goes. The ending, when it came, felt cold and abrupt, which, I suppose, was exactly what was intended.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 06-24-2008 at 01:20 PM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #1559
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Get Smart

This was BRILLIANT! It was a spot-on movie, with just about everything people loved about the show: the gadgets, the one-liners, the humour - it was great. There were brilliant cameos too.

And Mr. M, you're so right about the theme music. When I saw the opening and that music started playing, I had tears in my eyes. It was wonderful. If you thought that TV adaptations made Hollywood look worse, think again, and see this movie!
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #1560
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

The tail end of It's a Wonderful Life (Yes, my family watches Christmas movies when it's not Christmas )

No matter how many times I see this film, it never gets old. This is Jimmy Stewart at his finest-- I will tolerate no debate on that fact-- and the story is simply phenomenal. The rest of the cast-- Donna Reed as Mary Bailey and Lionel Barrymore as Old Man Potter, to mention the big names-- were wonderful in their roles, and overall, the film was lead to complete and utter legend status by its wonderful director, Frank Capra.

The ending is what gets me. The film's message, No man is a failure who has friends, is so profoundly, yet simply, stated-- in the form of a note to Stewart's character, George Bailey-- I can't help but feel a little touched every single time, even though I know it's coming and can quote some scenes verbatim.

Seeing this movie was even more enjoyable this time around because it was after I saw the Jimmy Stewart Museum in his hometown of Indiana, Pennsylvannia-- a great deal of the museum was devoted to this film, giving me a new appreciation of this classic piece of cinema.

Overall: Did I expect anything other than an enjoyable film experience? Of course not!

And even though it took me bloody forever to reply to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_fan View Post
Could you understand some of the Aussie language?

Actually, I didn't. I thought it was like listening to British slang, which I'm pretty well up on. The only thing I didn't get was a reference to a type of biscuit in a deleted scene, which, as I understand it, was deleted BECAUSE non-Australian audiences wouldn't catch the reference.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille

Last edited by WiltsAKGirl17; 06-26-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Typo. Sometimes I think type with my feet...
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote