Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Rules and Announcements

Notices

Rules and Announcements Where the forum rules and important announcements are posted. You MUST keep up-to-date with the posts in here.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky
Exclamation Signature Rules, Expanded

First of all I just have to say - since this forum is new, some of the rules and regulations are subject to change as we all over time experiment with different things and see how they work out. So these rules on sigs MAY change in the future, just like the rules on various other things may change too. I don't want anyone to hate me, or say that I change my mind too often, or that I'm too strict - I mean I don't *want* people to say that, though they might anyways. I really do want to hear feedback from people about *anything* regarding the way the forum looks or how things are organised - even if you think we should have a specific field to fill out in our profiles, or that a specific field should be longer, etc.

Okay, so about signatures. I do not want people to have large signatures - that includes text as well as images. I do NOT have a maximum number of text lines set in the forum control panel; I expect people to be reasonable and not go overboard. If anyone really wants to write a novel I can increase the size of the "Biography" box in the profile, but please keep your signature fairly smallish...if you've got more than five or so lines of text in your sig that's kind of long, and I suggest you try and trim it. If the Staff feel that an individual's sig is too big we'll probably contact you personally about it, and if large sigs become a chronic issue then I will have to limit them. But text is one thing.

The bigger issue is sig images. As it states in the Forum Rules, the maximum width of an image is 600 pixels and the maximum height is 100 pixels. Your sig image must comply with *both* the width and height maximums. If your sig image is more than 100 pixels high, I need you to change it. I'm seeing several sig images that are much taller than that already, and we only opened last night. Tall images force viewers to do more scrolling and it, to me, just breaks up the forum pages too much. Maybe I'm old and stodgy, but I greatly dislike having to see the same huge image over and over on a page while I'm trying to read. 100 pixels high. There is no filesize limit, and you may have an animated image, but if anyone (members as well as Staff) feels that it is too distracting, you will be asked to change it. (I'm mostly thinking about something that like, flashes colors or something really distracting like that.)

Bottom line: signatures shouldn't dominate a forum - the *discussions* should.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
FostersFriend
At Home

Mac & Bloo - Buddies For Life  

Is mine to big, Or can I keep it? ???

Old 08-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

Umm, yeah. It's like 300 pixels tall. Maybe you should crop it to the center portion?

Mine happens not to be, though it's easily recogniseable. 100x400.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FostersFriend View Post
Is mine to big, Or can I keep it? ???
100 pixels tall is the maximum, so yes its too big.

Last edited by Sparky; 09-19-2006 at 05:47 PM.