Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > General Character Discussions

Notices

General Character Discussions Discussions about the characters in *general*, or groups of characters, belong here. Please place discussions about *single* specific characters in their appropriate category.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

Woah, ouch. That could work, it'd explain a cut up face. Kinda gruesome for cartoon network though.

I feel silly, I never even thought about where his arm went. Basketballs don't have arms. They don't even have stitches, footballs do. Durrrh.
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
CG
Foster's Legend

BACK FROM THE DEAD?!!?  

Send a message via AIM to CG Send a message via MSN to CG Send a message via Yahoo to CG

Ooh. Yeah. Ouch. I think that'd be a bit too violent to even recollect on in an episode. We shall see if we learn how he got his injuries or not; a tough thing for any cartoon made for children especially to handle.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:41 AM   #13
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ooh. Yeah. Ouch. I think that'd be a bit too violent to even recollect on in an episode. We shall see if we learn how he got his injuries or not; a tough thing for any cartoon made for children especially to handle.

Yeah, that IS going to be "touchy", especially as we've already seen proof a-plenty that Wilt originally had both arms and both eyes and no scars. I doubt that they will show anything too graphic, but will most likely just hint at what actually happened to him, stopping just short of showing it. I'm just sorta worried at this point that they will go with something "hokey", like some "evil spell" sort of thingie that turned Wilt's creator kid into that Basketball-headed Dude and caused Wilt's disfigurment as some sort of punishment, and then he will do something in the movie that will reverse it, "magically" returning his creator back into a cute little kid and replacing Wilt's lost arm and eye. The reason I came up with that, absurd as it sounds, is because Lauren told us that the scene with Wilt and his creator was "totally the ending of the movie", which means that either he's going to be remembering, finally, what life was like with his creator and that was basically a flashback scene, OR something like what I thought of will take place, Wilt will remain with his creator forever more, and leave the show. I sure hope I am totally missing the boat on that and just subjecting myself to "stinkin' thinkin'" to quote Little Lincoln!

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:38 AM   #14
LaBlooGirl
Mac's World in Bloo
"What are YOU lookin' at?"  

Send a message via Yahoo to LaBlooGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
Yeah, that IS going to be "touchy", especially as we've already seen proof a-plenty that Wilt originally had both arms and both eyes and no scars. I doubt that they will show anything too graphic, but will most likely just hint at what actually happened to him, stopping just short of showing it. I'm just sorta worried at this point that they will go with something "hokey", like some "evil spell" sort of thingie that turned Wilt's creator kid into that Basketball-headed Dude and caused Wilt's disfigurment as some sort of punishment, and then he will do something in the movie that will reverse it, "magically" returning his creator back into a cute little kid and replacing Wilt's lost arm and eye. The reason I came up with that, absurd as it sounds, is because Lauren told us that the scene with Wilt and his creator was "totally the ending of the movie", which means that either he's going to be remembering, finally, what life was like with his creator and that was basically a flashback scene, OR something like what I thought of will take place, Wilt will remain with his creator forever more, and leave the show. I sure hope I am totally missing the boat on that and just subjecting myself to "stinkin' thinkin'" to quote Little Lincoln!

pitbulllady
But how could they have Wilt leave the show?? Especially when they're greenlit for the next season and it just wouldn't seem right without Wilt-man there. I sure hope you're wrong and that IS "stinkin' thinkin'".
Personally I think it's what you said beforehand, they'll just hint at it, so as to avoid anything which may not be suitable for children.

(Avatar piccy belongs to "sperg" of deviantart, sig piccy to "jameson".)
LaBlooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #15
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBlooGirl View Post
But how could they have Wilt leave the show?? Especially when they're greenlit for the next season and it just wouldn't seem right without Wilt-man there. I sure hope you're wrong and that IS "stinkin' thinkin'".
Personally I think it's what you said beforehand, they'll just hint at it, so as to avoid anything which may not be suitable for children.
No, it would NOT seem right without the Wilt-Man there, for sure! Given how popular he is, and the merchandising potential he carries, it would indeed seem ridiculous to write him off, even if that did mean giving him a fairy-tale happy ending and having him be adopted by his original creator after all these years. That would be like turning the proverbial cash cow into hamburger patties, something that can only be enjoyed once, then it's gone. And while there are probably many fans who would like to see Wilt somehow restored to his former physical appearance, with both arms and both eyes, I don't feel that way. It's not that I want Wilt to be handicapped, but because I don't think he IS handicapped. His scars serve as a reminder of what he has overcome and what other people can overcome, and to show that people with amputations or other "disabilities" are just as capable of doing things that the rest of us are if they don't dwell on their differences, which Wilt never has done. As he is, he's more of a role model and an inspiration than if he had both arms and both eyes, and I'd wager that he's probably helped to make a lot of the really younger fans more comfortable and more accepting of people who have such differences, since young children are usually a bit freaked out by people who've lost limbs, or who are blind, or use a wheelchair, or whatever.

pitbulllady
Old 11-16-2006, 06:17 AM   #16
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

I swear, if they got rid of a character in any way I think I'll start hating Foster's...I mean, COME ON! They get rid a REALLY popular character??? That'll just make the show "jump the shark". It'd be OVER for Foster's.

The way I HOPE it'll end is that Wilt's creator DOES visit him on the next creator picnic, with Wilt the way he already is now.

Last edited by antgirl1; 11-16-2006 at 06:20 AM.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Quote:

pitbulllady
I shudder at the very thought. I hope Foster's doesn't "jump the shark", in a sense, and go with that whole "magic" thing. It just doesn't seem "Foster's" to me.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

Wilt looks neater with the crazy eye anyway. He's like Mad-Eye Moody! I hope they won't pull some random deus ex machina to explain it like a magic spell.

Just curious, what proof that he used to have two arms/eyes/etc. are you talking about, pitbulllady?
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #19
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Wilt looks neater with the crazy eye anyway. He's like Mad-Eye Moody! I hope they won't pull some random deus ex machina to explain it like a magic spell.

Just curious, what proof that he used to have two arms/eyes/etc. are you talking about, pitbulllady?
Two sources, though I will only reveal ONE at this time, since the second one was basically an unauthorized "leak" that briefly appeared on an official CN/Turner Broadcasting site recently. Lauren Faust came on and explained that it was NOT supposed to be shown, since it was a "spoiler", and it was soon taken down, Out of respect for her and the whole Foster's crew, that's all I will say on that.

The other source, though, is Craig's blog, for which there is a link on this forum. If you go back to the April archives, you will see some sketches Craig made of Wilt as he was trying to come up with a design for that character. Some show Wilt still in bandages, others look very little like the Wilt we now know and love and some are even downright disturbing, but there are also two sketches of Wilt as we know him now, what I like to think of as a "Before" and "After" drawing. One shows Wilt as he appears on the show, with the exception that he has BOTH eyes and BOTH arms and no scars, and the other, of course, shows him exactly as he is now-missing his left arm and left eye, with those scars on each side of his face.

Trust me on this-Wilt was NOT created the way he is now, though what happened to him will have to wait for Thanksgiving Day to be revealed. I think that given Wilt's sometimes-odd behavior, and the presence of suture scars(which is something most little kids are not going to think of, even a kid who has been through surgery or injuries themselves), it would have been a major "cop out", as they said back in the '70's, to have had it revealed in this upcoming movie that Wilt had been imagined as a one-armed, one-eyed basketball player, and that everything he does now, from his compulsive apologizing to him saying he is "going to punish myself", was simply his behavior by default.

pitbulllady
Old 11-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #20
LaBlooGirl
Mac's World in Bloo
"What are YOU lookin' at?"  

Send a message via Yahoo to LaBlooGirl

Quote:
Two sources, though I will only reveal ONE at this time, since the second one was basically an unauthorized "leak" that briefly appeared on an official CN/Turner Broadcasting site recently. Lauren Faust came on and explained that it was NOT supposed to be shown, since it was a "spoiler", and it was soon taken down, Out of respect for her and the whole Foster's crew, that's all I will say on that.

The other source, though, is Craig's blog, for which there is a link on this forum. If you go back to the April archives, you will see some sketches Craig made of Wilt as he was trying to come up with a design for that character. Some show Wilt still in bandages, others look very little like the Wilt we now know and love and some are even downright disturbing, but there are also two sketches of Wilt as we know him now, what I like to think of as a "Before" and "After" drawing. One shows Wilt as he appears on the show, with the exception that he has BOTH eyes and BOTH arms and no scars, and the other, of course, shows him exactly as he is now-missing his left arm and left eye, with those scars on each side of his face.

Trust me on this-Wilt was NOT created the way he is now, though what happened to him will have to wait for Thanksgiving Day to be revealed. I think that given Wilt's sometimes-odd behavior, and the presence of suture scars(which is something most little kids are not going to think of, even a kid who has been through surgery or injuries themselves), it would have been a major "cop out", as they said back in the '70's, to have had it revealed in this upcoming movie that Wilt had been imagined as a one-armed, one-eyed basketball player, and that everything he does now, from his compulsive apologizing to him saying he is "going to punish myself", was simply his behavior by default.

pitbulllady
PB just has Wilt down to a "T", doesn't she? X)

Yeah ya know, I was thinking today how simply MAD I would be if they "copped out", as you say, and decided to go with the "fairy-tale" version that would be all safe and nice, and have Wilt created that way after all ((which would totally make NO sense whatsoever and I would be very unhappy with Craig for that one)) or that indeed, some stupid magic spell can explain it all.

HOWEVER, to give credit where major credit is due (and deserved), I somehow DOUBT they will go in that direction. Seeing as how Lauren herself was indeed here only days ago, catching sight of the leakage, this means to me she is "lurking" the boards and reading what's going on, hoping to get clues as to what may make the fans happy. (I really do believe this, they seem to love Sparky's board!! ) I think they know full well we'd be sincerely pOed if they even dare go in those two cop-out directions we speak of.

Since the show is rated Y-7 or however that goes, and on the same note, since we have seen some minor dramatic incidents or thematic elements, as I believe they call it, it's not entirely difficult to believe that just before the actual accident takes place, the scene cuts, showing us none of the details but leaving enough to the imagination. Can't see at all why that would be a problem.
Besides when you watch things like "Grim Adventures", one has to wonder what ratings mean anymore, I kid you not. That show can be strangely entertaining at times (though as I've said before, I only watch it for Mandie really) it IS sick and gross, and even has sexual references that a keen adult eye could catch. I know I have, and I wasn't even necessarily looking for it.

::takes a breath:: Sooooo....that all being said, it's safe to assume Craig & Crew will do all they can to satisfy the fans, but at the same time, keep the ratings in check. For instance, it's very possible Wilt just generally gives the idea in conversation (with no actual scenes), let's just say for instance my earlier theory is correct and he got hurt by glass falling from the hoop during a game. He would just say, "Yeah well..so I was playing with (enter name of basket-ball head rival) and he did a long-distance shot and as I tried to block him, it smashed the glass and it fell....you get the idea."
No graphic descriptions there or anything, but the jist of it was made known.

Yeesh that went on for too long. I can truly ramble, yes I can.

Sorry.

(Avatar piccy belongs to "sperg" of deviantart, sig piccy to "jameson".)
LaBlooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote