Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Imaginary Friends

Notices

Imaginary Friends Discuss the main imaginary characters: Bloo, Wilt, Eduardo, Coco, Mr. Herriman, Duchess, and Cheese.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #51
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Interesting, I never would have guessed that's how Duchess came to be. Her creator (confirmed to be a boy?) sounds like he could grow up to be quite the business man, scheming or not. He obviously knew how to make a profit. Kind of reminds me of Cornelius Vanderbilt and how he would as a child offer to ferry his friends to Staten Island, but would charge them a fee to ferry them back home to the mainland. Scheming, yes, but he would leave a legacy for his children and grandchildren, and the Vanderbilts would come to be known as American Royalty (they even built castles!). Duchess' creator doesn't sound like he was trying to trick anyone, but he could easily leave a similar legacy if given time. That's some imagination he's got, and he knows how to use his head!

I also imagine his other "creations" weren't near as nasty and heartless as Duchess. Perhaps some of them actually were good friends to their buyers. So I don't judge him by the one creation that turned out bad.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #52
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
I also imagine his other "creations" weren't near as nasty and heartless as Duchess. Perhaps some of them actually were good friends to their buyers. So I don't judge him by the one creation that turned out bad.
Ha, with that being said, Duchess probably has a lot of siblings around the world! XD
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #53
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Duchess was the one not-Frankie subject I asked Craig about last Sunday. He told me that they never created her creator but he was an artistic prodigy of a sort, creating pettigreed, artistic Imaginary Friends much as Picasso or Van Gogh would create paintings, and the IF's he created were for sale to those who could afford them, much as we might purchase high-end paintings and sculptures. Duchess ended up at Foster's because of her attitude; no one was willing to put up with her, including (I assume) her creator and his parents. I didn't ask about her age but if she was created to look the way she looks now, she could possibly be much younger than we've thought. Another point to ponder is that she's a sentient being but is also for sale, which has some serious implications. Thoughts, anyone?
Wow, I never would have suspected that. Thank you very much for doing the appropriate research, Cass, since, as I've said previosuly, Duchess's history has always been a subject of great interest to me. I wonder if they intend to bring it up in any of the remaining episodes...if they do, then I'm guessing that it won't be too major a plot point, if Craig was happy to divulge those details there and then. It certainly accounts for why Mr. Herriman regards her as a "pedigree" imaginary friend.

I also take it then that her creator didn't intentionally design her to be so cold and antagonistic? Maybe Duchess actually resents the motivations behind her genesis, despite (outwardly at least) being very proud of her pedigree, and her hostility is in some way a reaction against this. Could it be that she really has self-esteem issues deep down inside? Maybe. It's certainly brilliant fan fiction fodder, at any rate.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 08-02-2008 at 08:31 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #54
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

My pleasure. As far as Duchess's personality goes, I think that's just the way she is, nothing deeper than that. I don't think the writers will explore her background any further than they already have. I don't know if she'll pop up in the movie or not but considering it's length there's certainly room for her.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #55
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

Well, that explains a few things. Duchess was never made to be friendly, she was just made to look good. Just like Extremasaurs were just made to smash things. Pretty sad if you think of it, that she never knew the kind of affection that everyone else in the entire house has, at some point or another.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 AM   #56
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
My pleasure. As far as Duchess's personality goes, I think that's just the way she is, nothing deeper than that. I don't think the writers will explore her background any further than they already have. I don't know if she'll pop up in the movie or not but considering it's length there's certainly room for her.
I hope that there'll be a few more Duchess moments (or longer) in store before the series is through. Love her or loathe her, she's always such an entertaining character.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #57
DaBomb
Newly Abandoned

When she turns she lloks like a very skiny stick or a pole! Cool huh?
DaBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #58
fosters home fan
(.¯??¯)

Yes?  

She's a living work of art!!! She is one of the best minor characters, like, EVER. She is awesome looking, too.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 AM   #59
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters home fan View Post
She's a living work of art!!! She is one of the best minor characters, like, EVER. She is awesome looking, too.
I concur. I've always loved Duchess. I'd rate her character design as being one of the most memorable and inspired in the entire Foster's line-up, and that's certainly saying something.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #60
Cell_Phone_guy
Settling In

After Mac and family moved out of the apartment, I wonder if they returned Duchess to the family who adopted her in "Duchess of Wails"?
Cell_Phone_guy is offline   Reply With Quote