Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Imaginary Friends

Notices

Imaginary Friends Discuss the main imaginary characters: Bloo, Wilt, Eduardo, Coco, Mr. Herriman, Duchess, and Cheese.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #931
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgirl1 View Post
I guess he didn't know that you gotta lose sometimes to win sometimes.
If Jordan had not been in the picture, then it WOULD have been "just a game", and Wilt would have been able to handle losing. Like Vampyre said, though, Wilt felt that his main purpose, no, his ONLY purpose, was to make Jordan a better player, and by losing the game, he believed he'd failed in his purpose and hurt the one person he cared about the most. For him, that was like the Unforgiveable Sin. Wilt, like so many of his human counterparts, did not realize that he actually was created for, and fulfils every single day, many, many purposes. Hopefully now that Jordan has pointed this out to him, he'll begin to realize his own self-worth.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #932
FailedShapeshifter
Settling In
Computers hate me ^_^  

I was just wondering, now that Wilt "redeemed" himself, how is his personality going to be? I don't think he's going to go through a major personality change, but he may be a bit different. I just thought that may not feel as responsible for everything like he did before.....and not offer to punish himself (poor guy). I don't know, just a thought.........
FailedShapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #933
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedShapeshifter View Post
I was just wondering, now that Wilt "redeemed" himself, how is his personality going to be? I don't think he's going to go through a major personality change, but he may be a bit different. I just thought that may not feel as responsible for everything like he did before.....and not offer to punish himself (poor guy). I don't know, just a thought.........
He may show a little more self-confidence in future episodes, and signs of being on the road to recovery, but as I've said before, I hope his character flaws will still remain pretty much intact - they're what makes him so special, after all.

Even if all of Wilt's anxiety problems were rooted in his "failure" to live up to Jordan's expectations (and it's liable that not all of them were - we still don't know exactly what Wilt went through in his eight-year period of independence, after all) I imagine that it would still take time to undo all the damage that has been done. It has been thirty-odd years, after all, and while gaining some much-needed closure in his relationship with Jordan might have brought him some sense of relief, his insecurities would probably have become pretty deeply ingrained within his behaviour and thought patterns during that time. They're not likely to clear up over night. I 'd lived (although for most it unknowingly) with OCD for a comparatively mere eight years before I took any action about it, and one of the first things they told me was not to expect any instant improvement, given the length of time I'd been experiencing it for. One of the most difficult compulsions I've been having to shake, interestingly enough, is the compulsion to apologise for every tiny little thing that may have gone wrong.

Obviously, none of that need apply to Wilt, who is, after all, a fictional character (unfortunately ), not bound by the limits of human pyschology, and I guess we'll just have to wait for Season Five before we can know for sure. But I'm just giving some reasons why, even after the events of GWH, Wilt could plausibly retain his loveable neurotic self.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #934
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Yeah, and two seconds after Jordan told him to stop saying "Sorry", he does it again. And, even though he truely didn't mean it (You can hear him giggling a bit to himself as he says it) in the last scene of the movie (before the credits) Wilt was saying "sorry" a million times over. So I'm not worried that he's gonna change.

Last edited by antgirl1; 04-05-2007 at 02:30 PM.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #935
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
He may show a little more self-confidence in future episodes, and signs of being on the road to recovery, but as I've said before, I hope his character flaws will still remain pretty much intact - they're what makes him so special, after all.

Even if all of Wilt's anxiety problems were rooted in his "failure" to live up to Jordan's expectations (and it's liable that not all of them were - we still don't know exactly what Wilt went through in his eight-year period of independence, after all) I imagine that it would still take time to undo all the damage that has been done. It has been thirty-odd years, after all, and while gaining some much-needed closure in his relationship with Jordan might have brought him some sense of relief, his insecurities would probably have become pretty deeply ingrained within his behaviour and thought patterns during that time. They're not likely to clear up over night. I 'd lived (although for most it unknowingly) with OCD for a comparatively mere eight years before I took any action about it, and one of the first things they told me was not to expect any instant improvement, given the length of time I'd been experiencing it for. One of the most difficult compulsions I've been having to shake, interestingly enough, is the compulsion to apologise for every tiny little thing that may have gone wrong.

Obviously, none of that need apply to Wilt, who is, after all, a fictional character (unfortunately ), not bound by the limits of human pyschology, and I guess we'll just have to wait for Season Five before we can know for sure. But I'm just giving some reasons why, even after the events of GWH, Wilt could plausibly retain his loveable neurotic self.
Fictional or not, I don't see why the issues of human psychology would NOT apply to Wilt, since they sure seem to apply quite well to the other characters on the show! Wilt, as well as the other IF's, were, after all, created by HUMANS, and intergrate themselves into human culture, and definately appear to suffer from all the emotional problems that can afflict us. Wilt is probably even moreso to have to go through all the same process of healing, that "it's gonna get worse before it gets better" phase, because he's more intelligent and complex, more like an adult human, than most of his fellow IF's, so his emotional issues are likely to be more complex, too. He's had this burden of guilt and pain bottled up inside him for 30 years, and like you said, there's no telling what else he's been through that we don't know about, and he's not just going to become all well and better overnight.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #936
FailedShapeshifter
Settling In
Computers hate me ^_^  

Hmmmmmm....I wasn't thinking "overnight" persay, I was actually leaning towards if would see a gradual change in him as the new episodes air (guess I should learn to be more specific ) I'd personally love to see him with more self-confidince, but you know, still be his old apologetic self.

To be totally random......I'd also like to see interactions between him and Larry............

Last edited by FailedShapeshifter; 04-05-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #937
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Well, the best thing Wilt would probably think that if Larry HAS to live at Foster's as he does, then they would need to work something out, or else Wilt'd end up whooping for joy when Larry DOES gets adopted, much like how Frankie just wants Duchess to get adopted and get away from her (and many other residents - Scratch that, EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT - of the house's) life.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #938
FailedShapeshifter
Settling In
Computers hate me ^_^  

You never know.....Wilt's a pretty forgiving guy, even if Larry did crush his arm (I wouldn't forgive him ). I think, if Larry really has changed (interesting thought) they may actually be able to get along....though it probably isn't likely, old habits do tend to die hard.....but still, the interactions would be interesting no?

.....O_O Gosh......look how much I contradicted myself up there. Oh the shame! *hides*
Old 04-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #939
Vampyre
Smart Aleck
Woah! Look at that ZIT!... PSYCHE!  

For some odd reason, I can't really picture there being much tension between Larry and Wilt actually. If you scrape off Larry's competitive side, then I don't think he's too bad a bloke. I mean TECHNICALLY him sitting on Wilt's arm WAS an accident; He didn't know Jordan was there in the first place nor did he know Wilt was pushing him out the way until he landed on his arm. Larry seems like the kind of guy who would get Wilt in a friendly head lock and give him a nuggie... I dunno, I can see them acting kind of... brotherly toward one another.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #940
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
For some odd reason, I can't really picture there being much tension between Larry and Wilt actually. If you scrape off Larry's competitive side, then I don't think he's too bad a bloke. I mean TECHNICALLY him sitting on Wilt's arm WAS an accident; He didn't know Jordan was there in the first place nor did he know Wilt was pushing him out the way until he landed on his arm. Larry seems like the kind of guy who would get Wilt in a friendly head lock and give him a nuggie... I dunno, I can see them acting kind of... brotherly toward one another.
Well, given that Wilt and Foul Larry have the same basic interest (ie: basketball), I could see them being great pals under better circumstances. That Larry came around at the end of GWH was obviously intended to show that he had some good in him, and the actions which led to Wilt's being mutilated were, as you said, an accident. It's just that Larry was always willing to play so rough and had scant regard for the rules of the game, and even though he was moved by Wilt's reunion with Jordan, he never actually seemed to show any direct remorse for the way his actions had affected Wilt in the past (that's not to say that it didn't happen offscreen, but still), so I could still see where at least a little tension might come in. But then, as FailedShapeshifter says, Wilt's very forgiving, or at least manages to suppress a lot of his resentment. I personally think that Larry needs to work on his conduct on the basketball court if he's ever going to be a respectable opponent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
Fictional or not, I don't see why the issues of human psychology would NOT apply to Wilt, since they sure seem to apply quite well to the other characters on the show! Wilt, as well as the other IF's, were, after all, created by HUMANS, and intergrate themselves into human culture, and definately appear to suffer from all the emotional problems that can afflict us. Wilt is probably even moreso to have to go through all the same process of healing, that "it's gonna get worse before it gets better" phase, because he's more intelligent and complex, more like an adult human, than most of his fellow IF's, so his emotional issues are likely to be more complex, too. He's had this burden of guilt and pain bottled up inside him for 30 years, and like you said, there's no telling what else he's been through that we don't know about, and he's not just going to become all well and better overnight.

pitbulllady

Mmm…what I was getting at had less to do with Wilt’s status as a non-human but more the fact that which ever direction his character development ultimately depends upon the will of the writers, and there’s always the chance that it might not necessarily reflect exactly how a real person in his situation would behave. But don’t mind that statement – naturally, I’m just hedging my bets, since the writers have done a marvellous job thus far at portraying his anxiety disorders in a realistic and believable manner. It’s one of the chief things that I’ve always appreciated about Foster’s, and one of the foremost reasons why I wouldn’t want his personality to undergo too significant a transformation. There are far too many “adult” programmes out there which, whenever they want to establish a character as neurotic, will usually portray them as being very flamboyant and in-your-face about their anxieties and compulsions. Falling into that category myself I find this pretty irritating, particularly whenever specific disorders are assigned to them which their behaviours in no striking way match. Such portrayals only distort the public’s perceptions of such conditions, leading to a barrage of clinomorphisms and misconceptions. I can’t tell you how much that gets my hackles up. A lot of people miss the point of what it is to really be neurotic. It isn’t something cute, amusing and charmingly eccentric, and the majority people who have it wouldn’t dare to exhibit or even mention most of their problems in front of others because, in contrast to most psychotic disorders, you know damn well how irrational your thoughts and actions are, and that knowledge in itself is just an added layer of your anguish.

I don’t have much patience for the whole “cartoons are for kids only” standpoint, but nonetheless, Wilt was a character I was initially very surprised to find in a “kids” show on Cartoon Network. It took me a few episodes to completely cotton onto his anxious disposition, but when I did I thought it was magnificently done - most older viewers could probably pick up on his troubles and insecurities, but there is, for the most part, something pleasingly subtle about them. Other characters don’t really seem to notice, Wilt himself never makes much of an issue of them, and he’s constantly striving to keep his thoughts and feelings on sensitive matters concealed, which is a far more accurate and relatable portrayal of neurosis than you could find in most adult-orientated fare, for the reasons outlined above. His case also has the potential to illustrate to viewers to all ages that, whatever notions they might have about mental health issues, most people affected by them are perfectly ordinary individuals who suffer in silence. The Foster's writers have already shown that they have far more insight and sensitivity than a lot of other film and TV writers, and I'm sure they'll remain true and consistent to that.

Sorry for the long post, but when I really get going about this sort of thing I find it hard to stop.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 04-06-2007 at 06:38 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote