Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 05-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #1361
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Hey Prutnik, my Hebrew teacher in college told us that in Israel, "punching your way to the shopkeeper" is basically the only way to get any service! She told us how she'd been living in America for many years then she went back to Israel for a visit, and she found that she had gotten too polite! Whenever she'd go to a shop she'd get no service because she'd gotten too used to people taking care of customers in order, and not according to how pushy they are!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #1362
Prutnick
Newly Abandoned
We must perform a quirkafleeg!  

Well, that's too bad. I suppose I might be overpolite sometimes. It's sometimes silly for me to listen myself, when half of the words like ,,please, Madam, Sir". It's really funny in the secondary school. I don't know if it's a worldspread custom, but it's recommended (or demanded) to adress the teacher with ,, Mr/Mrs Professor" title, even if they only have a Bachelor title or something like that. Students do use a contraction from it (Sor), but I feel it's kinda rude (and some teachers think the same).
Prutnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #1363
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

It's called "Alternate History". Star Trek did it on a number of occasions. Author Harry Turtledove has made a successful career of the genre.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #1364
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

Was that fic written before the movie came out?

(Edit) Nope. Written two days ago.

Last edited by Ridureyu; 05-11-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Ridureyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #1365
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Yeah, not much fun finding stories that tick one off.

Had to call the police on the idiots upstairs again. Sheesh, this is getting tiresome. They're quiet now but I'm betting they'll crank up the music again before the night is over. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll keep it down but I seriously doubt it.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #1366
CagedWings67
Newly Abandoned

Location: In a very cozy box with high-speed internet connections.
Send a message via AIM to CagedWings67

When people CONSTANTLY lie to me. I just finished writing a journal on deviantART.com telling off one of my friends who lied to me all the time. I hope that my so-called 'best friend' and I never cross paths again; because if we do, it'd get pretty nasty.

Also, MCAS. I live in Massachusetts, and we have to take these stupid tests up until tenth grade, and if we don't pass, we don't graduate high school. MCAS stands for Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System. I'm taking one for science this Wednesday. What really stinks is that we have to get broken up into seperate groups for these tests, and the eighth grade is spread all around the school. I have to take my test in a small storage closet with people that I hate. Yes, it's that sad.
CagedWings67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #1367
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Oh I guess I could post about this here, as it did tick me off...

I had to call the cops two nights ago, at about 3 am, because there were two guys in the parking lot outside my window obviously checking out cars looking for a good one to break into. I did hear a couple of loud noises I couldn't identify, but my guess was tires being popped, so I thought the guys were slashing tires. And yes my car was right there too. Anyways right after I got off the phone with the sheriff's office the guys smashed in the window of the car next to mine and ran off, so the cops got there too late to do anything about it. Which was just as well because the "code" for opening the gate remotely with your phone has never worked and I had to walk out to my car to get my clicker so I could go around the building to let the cops in, and if the two guys had still been there um...well I wouldn't have gone out there in the first place.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #1368
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

Quote:
Originally Posted by CagedWings67 View Post
Also, MCAS. I live in Massachusetts, and we have to take these stupid tests up until tenth grade, and if we don't pass, we don't graduate high school. MCAS stands for Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System. I'm taking one for science this Wednesday. What really stinks is that we have to get broken up into seperate groups for these tests, and the eighth grade is spread all around the school. I have to take my test in a small storage closet with people that I hate. Yes, it's that sad.
ugh those things are annoying. although i dont take MCAS, i take a thing called CATS, which sounds pretty much like the exact same thing. two weeks of "fun" for everyone. im just glad i dont have to take this this year. or when im a senior in 3 or so years. :l

uh, dennys. dont even try getting mothers day breakfeast there.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #1369
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I'm ticked off that my apartment complex is requiring all tennants to get renter's insurance now. They let me know this only two weeks ago, I'm barely staying afloat as it is, and now at trying to find some (my lease is up this week), I can't find any where I can just sign up online and print a "card" or something like I do with my auto insurance. I need an agent! Why?? What a pain! And now I'm worried that I won't have proof of insurance when I go in to renew my lease this week, and will get in trouble for it, despite my trying and pulling my hair out over it. Grrrrrr...!!!

edit: Ok, it's 11:52 p.m, and at searching ONE MORE TIME, I think I found one where I could just print the card right away. Whew! *wipes sweat off brow* Now I just hope it's good enough for my landlord.

Last edited by Lynnie; 05-11-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #1370
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Fingers crossed for ya, Lynnie. Anyway, I'm a tad frustrated since it's garbage day and I had to move my recyclables from their clear clear bags to new blue bags due to the new rules. So one chore became two chores. At least things are straightened out for the next time.