Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #51
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

I just saw this episode yesterday, sadly i didn't get the chance to see it online ahead like most people did. For some reason the movie player wouldn't work correctly whenever I tried to look at it. Anyways, I was curious to see what this episode was like and I am glad to say it was MUCH better then I expected.

This totally makes up for "Say it isn't sew" and was a total blast. Bloo getting into a old folks home is by far the most clever idea he's ever had. Hell, I'VE even said before how funny it is they get practically weighted on hand and foot, and have you seen how NICE half those places look from the outside? They got it REAL good .

But seriously, I really enjoyed this episode. Madame Foster has never been funnier (or crazier) then she has now. I loved how Mr. Herriman was so annoyed by helping her super hero routine out, like agreeing to do it but loathing every minute. The thing with Hugo and Frankie at the end was great. "Yeah we brainwash a little....it's in the pudding".

It's an interesting theory and I think Madame Foster's big speech at the end actually are quit inspiring. My grandmother on my mom's sides is in her early 80's and she's actually more active then I am. She does EVERYTHING any young person would do, she just doesn't sit back and lounge away like Bloo did.

But all in all, great episode, very uplifting and I also have to say I would have loved to see what "plan" Frankie and the others were making. I don't know why but it sounded like it was going to be really elaborate and crazy and I'm just curious about it for some reason.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #52
Crash-N-Cortex
Permanent Resident
I'm back with my Chimchar!  

Send a message via Yahoo to Crash-N-Cortex

This episode is very cool. I like Madame Foster's "superhero" outfit and Bloo pretending to be really old. Bloo does seem cranky when he's old. It's a pretty good episode. I give this one an "A".

Crash-N-Cortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #53
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

I finally got to see "Something Old, Something Bloo"...glad I didn't have to wait as long for it as I did for "Say It Isn't Sew".

My verdict? A marked improvement on what came before it this season, and hopefully a sign of better things to come; certainly, I got more laughs out of this than "Cheese A Go-Go" and "Say It Isn't Sew" combined. Yes, it was yet another "ker-azy mayhem" episode (or at least it turned into one in the second half - I'll get back to that), but it was done with a flair and imaginative wit lacking in the other episodes I mentioned. Bloo had a good showing this time out; I still think that Keith Ferguson is taking the voice too high too often these days, but his "old geezer" voice was great, and I liked his interactions with "grandson" Mac, as well as his latest crack at Frankie's expense:

"...but it's going to be so boooring! I mean, old people are so...old. No offence, Frankie."
"None taken. Wait, what? Hey!!"

The "BattyMadame" section of the episode, meanwhile, was pure silliness, but this time it really worked; partly this was because even the daft parts were wittily written (loved the Granny Gadgets, and of course the "Kapow!" bit), but what I liked most was that they remembered that lunacy often works best when anchored by a straight man, leading to pricelessly bemused, baffled and disgusted reactions from Mac and especially Mr. Herriman ("This never ends well." ). I did find Madame Foster's final speech about the elderly oversimplified the issue a little (what about the old and infirm who can't be active any more?), but it was still nice to see Foster's aspiring to have a point again.

Still, I did have one or two lingering reservations. For one thing, I still haven't quite got a handle on Madame Foster; this was one of her funniest outings (and seeing her eyes was weird), but I can't shrug the feeling that the writers have made her far more of an insane and slightly intimidating old kook than they might have intended to. It's always seemed to me like the sweet, kindly Madame of "A Lost Claus" or "Emancipation Complication" is what the character ought to be, so how come we don't see more of that? The other thing that set my alarm bells ringing a little was the sudden tonal shift halfway through the episode when "BattyMadame" turned up; as I discussed, the section was funny enough for it not to be a problem, but it doesn't change the fact that, just like in "The Buck Swaps Here", the writers essentially eschewed a logical third act in favour of an OTT absurdist comedy sequence that didn't make a great deal of sense. Don't get me wrong, I do like gags and silliness, but I usually prefer to flow organically from a properly structured plot, and that's been Season Five's weakest suit by far; it just discourages me a little that, having done an outstanding job of keeping an involving narrative going for forty minutes on "Good Wilt Hunting" last year, they now barely seem able to sustain one for ten. Again, hopefully it's a problem that will be addressed by later episodes...

Nevertheless, it's still a fine effort; one of the best pure comedy episodes since "Bus The Two Of Us", and certainly the best of Season Five so far. Onwards and upwards!

Last edited by Ditchy McAbandonpants; 06-19-2007 at 06:16 AM. Reason: John Denver.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #54
bloonuggets
Take a bow, Bloo. You deserve it.

FHfIF: 8/11/04 - 5/3/09  

Spoiler Below
And who knew that Bloo shrivvled in water? Not me!

Thank you Craig for the ride. We all will miss you.

bloonuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #55
basilsunshine
Settling In
I get by with a little help from my friends.  

Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma. I'm native american. & no, it's not a farm.

My mom works at a nursing home, and I was just cracking up at some of the similarities. Sometimes she has old people that are mean and demanding, just like that old guy on the episode. Some of the residents go so far as to HIT or PUNCH my mother, but she never blames them, because they don't actually mean it.

ANYWAY, I was just cracking up at Herriman while he was helping Madame Foster get into superhero mode. She must do that alot, XD.
basilsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #56
ptps
At Home

Best Friends Forever  

Thanks for the download link XD

Spoiler Below
This episode was... painful, to say the least. XD; I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. But I do like how the season 5 eps seem to link to each other? Jackie Khones and Wilt between "Cheese a Go Go" and "Say It Isn't Sew", wrinkly Bloo in that and "Something Old Something Bloo". It kind of all hooks up in a nice way.

But omg, what is WITH the batman references? O_o; There was a batman suit in Level 5 of BFAHP, Bloo was parodying the Batman tune in "Sew", and now Madam Foster has the whole "Madame Madame Madame Madame FOSTER!" thing going on, complete with the whole "To the Foster cave sequence!" - is CN airing some new episodes of Batman or something that there are so much Batman parodies around? I know it's practice to parody Batman in animation series (heck, the company I was working in had parodied Batman in one of their productions, the very same scene in this episode, actually) but it's a little too much, I think? I was laughing really hard at poor Mr. Herriman and the SIGNS OMG, THE SIGNBOARDS. But by the end of the episode I was pretty much bored.

And I like how the whole home was actually worried about Bloo when he went missing - it shows that they all really do care about him even though he's one of the worst trouble makers in the house (and it's a bit confusing as well, about the standard house procedure Frankie mentioned - this hadn't been seen in GWH, or maybe this was done offscene, probably.) But wrinkly Bloo was amusing, omg, the way he just shriveled up in the water. XD I love how the writer/s took the "prune fingers in water" thing to such an extreme that Bloo has to keep immersing himself to keep himself wrinkled. (His skin should have started falling off too O_o; It happens. XD)

On the other hand, this was actually one of the best Madame Foster episodes I've seen, IMHO; we get to see her sweet and "batty" "helpful" side. I wish the other three friends (Wilt, Ed and Coco) had more screentime though.

And Mac doing the "Visiting hours are OOOOOOOOVAAAAAAH!!" imitation for the win. XD Love his voice actor.
ptps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:32 AM   #57
FeDeReR
Newly Abandoned
Foster's city!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
C'mon, guys, she'll get to it when she has the time. In the meantime, the episode can be seen here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7A716O2Z

You're free to make your own screencaps, too.
hey thanks for the link I'll download it!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #58
Another Castle
At Home

I have just watched this episode, and very much enjoyed it- very silly!

Bloo would love to be pampered and not have to lift a finger, yet still get away with cheeky comments. We get a nice view into that very naughty mind of his (he likes flushing Army Men down the toilet!)

It appears only the Fosters Five, Frankie and Herriman attend the old peoples home to sing- did no one else want to go? There was one extra IF who got on the bus, but he was never to be seen again

I especally like this image:
http://www.fosters-home.com/screengrabs/5/504-0043.jpg
I like how such detail has gone into such a brief shot- looks feminine, while Wilt looks like an old war veteran.

One thing I was wondering- tells everyone to act their shoe size and not their age- by American standards, what age would this be? I mean, I don't really know US shoesizes, so I don't know if she wants everyone to be childish or just like normal adults

Alpha November Oscar Tango Hotel Echo Romeo
Charlie Alpha Sierra Tango Lima Echo
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #59
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Castle View Post
One thing I was wondering- tells everyone to act their shoe size and not their age- by American standards, what age would this be? I mean, I don't really know US shoesizes, so I don't know if she wants everyone to be childish or just like normal adults
Most adult Americans wear sizes ranging from 5 1/2 through 13; she definitely wants everyone to act like a child.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #60
Another Castle
At Home

What I liked about this episode is that Madame Foster's theory is shown to be absurd and ridiculas, but turns out to be true! Especally the pudding! It gave the episode a point (which some poor episodes like Cheese-a-go-go lacked). Bloo complained about the naughty things he couldn't do at Fosters, but it seems the treatment there made him lazy.

And Mac's head cannot fit into that hole!
He seems to find something hugely exciting in gardening:
http://www.fosters-home.com/screengrabs/5/504-0083.jpg

Alpha November Oscar Tango Hotel Echo Romeo
Charlie Alpha Sierra Tango Lima Echo
Another Castle is offline   Reply With Quote