Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #2331
xxxClaire
Teenage Wasteland

Live everyday like you're Glen Coco.  

Send a message via MSN to xxxClaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/sexual-...048198212.html

Makes me sad that this is an issue at the Con.
This. This actually ticks me off so much. It's so prevalent outside of the Con too.

? Long Live Jeremiah ?
xxxClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #2332
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Though I'm not being bullied at work like I was a few years ago (remember Mr. Ditzy, Ms. Moody, Ms. Two-Face, DD, and Miss P?), work is ticking me off again. I not only do my best, but also know I do better than most others. Yet everyone else is getting recognized and promoted just because... I don't know why exactly. Because they talk more? They follow orders blindly instead of thinking for themselves and find better ways to do things? It's probably a combination of things. And it's so frustrating and I'm feeling so underappreciated and worthless. And the only time all my hard work is noticed is when it's neglected for a week or two due to it being too busy that I can't keep up with everything or I've been on vacation for a week or two.

On a bright side, I've found an awesome website where one can unload all such emotional stress anonymously via a chat setting. It really does help. My sister (GreenEyesandHam for those who remember her) uses it too.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #2333
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

EA Games, Origin, and Sims 4

I hardly know where to begin with this.

I recently uninstalled Sims 3 from my computer. I didn't want to but I just couldn't take another inexplicable, gut-wrenching crash. EA should be ashamed of the game's instability. In any case I finally hit my breaking point, enough is enough, and it's out. To fill the void I reinstalled Sims 2, which I'd been getting nostalgic for these past few months. Installed, ran a test, worked fine. Ran a second test, worked fine. Went to do some actual playing, game crashed on launch with a message about incompatibility with DirectX 11. WTF??? I got little help from MTS, over than one person telling me that other people are playing it fine on Windows 7 with DX11. I may pursue asking for help there at some point but I doubt it'll do much good. That left me with the Sims Medieval game for my nightly Sims fix. It's very different than other Sims games but it fills the void, is very enjoyable, and doesn't crash.

A few weeks later the Sims 4 Create-A-Sim demo was released to the general public, mostly as part of EA's Sims 4 damage control. More on that later. The catch was that you couldn't simply download it and start experimenting with it, no; you could only download it through Origin, EA's download service, but all you have to do is download Origin and the demo is all yours. Sounds simple, right? It was, actually. I'd heard various horror stories about Origin since the day EA launched it but eh, I figured it was worth a shot. Both it and the demo installed without a hitch. I didn't want to try out the demo right then, however, so I did some other stuff online, logged out and went to Walgreens, had dinner, my usual routine. A few hours later I ran Sims Medieval, or should I say, I tried to run Sims Medieval, but the game wouldn't start. Seems that my shortcut was no longer pointing to the exe file. I investigated and discovered that the exe file no longer existed. A bunch of other files in the installation folder were gone, too. Somehow, Origin had managed to destroy the files, for reason I can only guess at. Needless to say, Origin was IMMEDIATELY uninstalled, and it will never be allowed on any computer I own ever gain. Of course, this meant that I couldn't play with the CAS4 demo, either, but that was no longer a relevant point. Fortunately my Sims Medieval save files were untouched, so after a full manual uninstall and reinstall the game was saved. I don't know why Origin did this but it's the last straw. EA cannot and should not be trusted by anyone, Sims player or not.

And, speaking of Sims, the Sims 4 game is being released this coming September 2nd. As much as I love the Sims games, I'm not buying Sims 4. Why, you ask? Because it's a gigantic step backwards from Sims 2 and 3. It started off being developed as an online-only game, with results that even the designers weren't too happy with, but Management was sure people would love it. And then came the disaster known as SimsCity 2013. The backlash was enormous. Virtually nobody liked the "must be online to play" idea, the game was - and still is - riddled with bugs, there were server crashes galore, etc. Realizing their error, Sims 4 was hastily retooled as a single-player, offline game, which it should have been to begin with. Of course, this is EA we're talking about, so rather than start from scratch and create what could have been an amazing game, they took what they had, retooled it, and vowed to stay on target for their launch date. This meant removing and tweaking a few things. Like what? Here's the list:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/disc...se-features/p1

Real nice, EA, real nice. Congratulations on creating the lowest point in the history of the Sims series. What a sad, sad joke this game is. Sims 4 could have been something truly extraordinary, had EA listened to it's fans and not been blinded by their greed, thinking that the future must be online. Sims isn't an online type of game. Now we're stuck with a mere shell of a game, and a hope that EA takes a huge hit in their collective wallets, does some serious soul-searching, and does everything they can to make it up to us in the Sims 5... assuming Sims 4 doesn't kill the series entirely. Oh, and to add insult to injury, Sims 4 requires that you have Origin installed on your computer to activate it. Not going to happen.

Damn you, EA. Just... damn you.

A related petition; signing it probably won't accomplish much, but it is appreciated:

http://www.change.org/p/the-sims-tea...ms-4-base-game

(This will be reprinted in my dA journal, so those of you who watch me can ignore it.)

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 09-05-2014 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Don't ask.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:51 AM   #2334
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Quote:
EA Games, Origin, and Sims 4

I hardly know where to begin with this.

I recently uninstalled Sims 3 from my computer. I didn't want to but I just couldn't take another inexplicable, gut-wrenching crash. EA should be ashamed of the game's instability. In any case I finally hit my breaking point, enough is enough, and it's out. To fill the void I reinstalled Sims 2, which I'd been getting nostalgic for these past few months. Installed, ran a test, worked fine. Ran a second test, worked fine. Went to do some actual playing, game crashed on launch with a message about incompatibility with DirectX 11. WTF??? I got little help from MTS, over than one person telling me that other people are playing it fine on Windows 7 with DX11. I may pursue asking for help there at some point but I doubt it'll do much good. That left me with the Sims Medieval game for my nightly Sims fix. It's very different than other Sims games but it fills the void, is very enjoyable, and doesn't crash.

A few weeks later the Sims 4 Create-A-Sim demo was released to the general public, mostly as part of EA's Sims 4 damage control. More on that later. The catch was that you couldn't simply download it and start experimenting with it, no; you could only download it through Origin, EA's download service, but all you have to do is download Origin and the demo is all yours. Sounds simple, right? It was, actually. I'd heard various horror stories about Origin since the day EA launched it but eh, I figured it was worth a shot. Both it and the demo installed without a hitch. I didn't want to try out the demo right then, however, so I did some other stuff online, logged out and went to Walgreens, had dinner, my usual routine. A few hours later I ran Sims Medieval, or should I say, I tried to run Sims Medieval, but the game wouldn't start. Seems that my shortcut was no longer pointing to the exe file. I investigated and discovered that the exe file no longer existed. A bunch of other files in the installation folder were gone, too. Somehow, Origin had managed to destroy the files, for reason I can only guess at. Needless to say, Origin was IMMEDIATELY uninstalled, and it will never be allowed on any computer I own ever gain. Of course, this meant that I couldn't play with the CAS4 demo, either, but that was no longer a relevant point. Fortunately my Sims Medieval save files were untouched, so after a full manual uninstall and reinstall the game was saved. I don't know why Origin did this but it's the last straw. EA cannot and should not be trusted by anyone, Sims player or not.

And, speaking of Sims, the Sims 4 game is being released this coming September 2nd. As much as I love the Sims games, I'm not buying Sims 4. Why, you ask? Because it's a gigantic step backwards from Sims 2 and 3. It started off being developed as an online-only game, with results that even the designers weren't too happy with, but Management was sure people would love it. And then came the disaster known as SimsCity 2013. The backlash was enormous. Virtually nobody liked the "must be online to play" idea, the game was - and still is - riddled with bugs, there were server crashes galore, etc. Realizing their error, Sims 4 was hastily retooled as a single-player, offline game, which it should have been to begin with. Of course, this is EA we're talking about, so rather than start from scratch and create what could have been an amazing game, they took what they had, retooled it, and vowed to stay on target for their launch date. This meant removing and tweaking a few things. Like what? Here's the list:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/disc...se-features/p1

Real nice, EA, real nice. Congratulations on creating the lowest point in the history of the Sims series. What a sad, sad joke this game is. Sims 4 could have been something truly extraordinary, had EA listened to it's fans and not been blinded by their greed, thinking that the future must be online. Sims isn't an online type of game. Now we're stuck with a mere shell of a game, and a hope that EA takes a huge hit in their collective wallets, does some serious soul-searching, and does everything they can to make it up to us in the Sims 5... assuming Sims 4 doesn't kill the series entirely. Oh, and to add insult to injury, Sims 4 requires that you have Origin installed on your computer to activate it. Not going to happen.

Damn you, EA. Just... damn you.

A related petition; signing it probably won't accomplish much, but it is appreciated:

http://www.change.org/p/the-sims-tea...ms-4-base-game

(This will be reprinted in my dA journal, so those of you who watch me can ignore it.)

Well said, Cass. I knew there was a reason to keep The Sims 2. Also, I'm not getting rid of SimCity 4 anytime soon!

To quote Zero Punctuation from his SimCity 'review':
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Punctuation
Perhaps EA now stands for 'Expel All', your money, from your wallet, so that we can have it, and then be a d*ck about it!

Last edited by Cassini90125; 09-05-2014 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Please watch the profanity - damn is enough without d*ick too
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #2335
BluebottleFlyer
Foster's Legend

Bug/monster/snowman/surfer creator at work  

Location: Connecticut, USA (originally from County Durham, UK)
Send a message via Skype™ to BluebottleFlyer

Sorry to hear you're having issues with EA, Cass...I really hate what they've become. It makes me wish we could just go back to the days when games weren't as huge and hyped up as blockbuster games, and when they were all about the gameplay rather than the graphics. I feel like too many things nowadays are just all style and no substance.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 AM   #2336
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

From what I've seen, Sims 4's "style" is cartoony, with overly bright colors and excessive bloom.

You've probably all read/heard that Joan Rivers is in a medically-induced coma following a botched throat operation. As her comedy style involved insulting people its natural that some people would be more than a little ticked off with her, but the level of hate that I've been reading in the comments on Yahoo has been appalling. Yes, she's said some awful things in the past couple of years, even as recently as a few days before the surgery, but she certainly doesn't deserve what I've been reading (which I can't repeat here). So much hate... it really doesn't speak well of the human race.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:28 AM   #2337
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

For once, I'm actually going to post here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5591483.html
Okay, I have NOTHING against same sex marriage and people who are not straight, but seriously, this really annoys me. Can't you just let a TV show just be what it is and not let something as small as this 'ruin your life?'

Having said that, I've never read the comic books, so I didn't know that the main character was bisexual.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:05 AM   #2338
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

First I've heard of him. In any case, the only person who gets to decide his sexual orientation is whoever created him. Not the network, certainly not the fans, and not the writers. What we'll actually see depends on the network and how they deal with various lunatic pressure groups, of course, but the true canon is in the words and writings of the character's creator.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:31 AM   #2339
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Quote:
First I've heard of him. In any case, the only person who gets to decide his sexual orientation is whoever created him. Not the network, certainly not the fans, and not the writers. What we'll actually see depends on the network and how they deal with various lunatic pressure groups, of course, but the true canon is in the words and writings of the character's creator.
He was previously made into a 2005 film starring Keanu Reeves, and it wasn't a great film, but it certainly wasn't a bad one either. The TV series and movie are both based on the DC/Vertigo comic book/graphic novel series Hellblazer, and while I haven't read them, I'm still interested in seeing the TV series, regardless of what everyone thinks.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #2340
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

http://dontneedfeminism.tumblr.com/p...he-emma-watson

That's right, not only was the whole thing a hoax, but IT'S USED AS AN EXCUSE TO CENSOR THE INTERNET!!!!!!

Words cannot express how much I hate hoaxes and hackers right now!!