Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #11
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

There has been a large number of movies which have made me cry the first time around - I'm such a sensitive soul - but have somewhat lost that power on repeated viewings when I know what's coming and can be better emotionally prepared, but Jacob's Ladder is one of the few to have made me cry every time I've seen it. There's something about that ending sequence that really gets to me. I just can't help it. The tears come thick and fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post

Charlotte's Web really got to me when I was a kid, specifically the part at the end where Charlotte died. The book was just as moving. It's a rare thing to have both the book and the movie be that powerful.
Seconded. I cry in both versions of the movie, and the book (I haven't read it in ages, but it was always one of my favourites as a kid). I actually find the ending in the animated version to be more powerful, even if the live action version's ending was closer to the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
"Goodbye May Seem Forever." I go every time. The song is lovely, but part of it is the fact that the lady abandons this poor domestically-raised animal in the wild to face a probable death. So un-Disneyesque, I know, but that's what I always think when I watch the scene.
I've been known to let loose during the Fox and the Hound myself, though it's a scene toward the end that really gets me going:

Spoiler Below
When Tod, following the bear attack, is lying too battered and exhausted to defend himself, and Copper refuses to let Slade kill him. Then, after Slade backs down and Copper starts to follow him, he and Tod have that moment in which they acknowledge each other amiably for the final time, before setting off, their footprints each going down a different path. Symbolism doesn't get more obvious than that, and neither do tearjerkers. I'm aching for a fresh box of Kleenix just thinking about it.

And, please don't laugh, but I cried - long and hard - at the conclusion to Peter Jackson's King Kong.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 07-15-2007 at 03:10 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #12
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

When I was seven years old (back in '64, guys), I bawled at The Three Lives Of Thomasina. In more recent times, the final scene of Breaker Morant gets me misty-eyed.

Last edited by Ccook50; 07-15-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Ccook50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

One scene that always makes my eyes start to mist up is in Return of the Jedi when that ewok dies and his friend is trying to get him up. Forrest Gump also made me choke up at the end.
The original Land Before Time always makes me feel like I'm on the verge of bursting into tears. Poor Littlefoot's struggles just strike a chord in me every time. Truly a wonderful movie.
But the one movie that really made me cry for the first time was Paulie. I remember watching it when it first came to video and I just couldn't stop crying when the old lady who befriended Polly passed away. It was a fantastic movie, but I'll never watch it again.

Last edited by Medikor; 07-16-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Medikor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Saving Private Ryan
Forrest Gump
Click
Armageddon
Titanic
E.T. (I was watching it the other day, started crieing)
Band of Brothers (Not a movie, but a mini-series about a real group of WWII troops)
Probably more that I forgot.....I'll update.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
But the one movie that really made me cry for the first time was Polly. I remember watching it when it first came to video and I just couldn't stop crying when the old lady who befriended Polly passed away. It was a fantastic movie, but I'll never watch it again.
Oh you mean "Paulie"? I went to that on opening day; its not often that they make a movie about a parrot, let alone a conure. I have it on tape, need to get it on DVD. Yes, that is a very sad scene.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Another war flick which tears me up is John Wayne's The Green Berets

AWESOME movie. Absolutely required watching. The end scene with Hamchuck looking for "Peter-san" always brings up the tears.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #17
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

I've never seen any movie that got me an teary (although I did see Forrest Gump when I was young. I don't remember what it was that made me cry). I got close during the climax of Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis, mainly due to the destruction images and the Ray Charles song playing in the background.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #18
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_fan View Post
I got close during the climax of Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis, mainly due to the destruction images and the Ray Charles song playing in the background.
That was a BEAUTIFUL scene, if it hadn't been so damn well made and artfully constructed I probably would have felt weepy watching it. One movie that made me sad was "The Butterfly Effect"....one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen and I'm usually a very positive person.

That movie just brings you down, seeing how miserable Amy Smart was in one reality and how dark and miserable everyone was. One movie from my childhood that always made me sad was in "Short Circuit 2". There was a couple scenes that made a few tears come.

The first is when Johnny 5 leaves the police station and reveals the two books he chose: Frankenstein and Pinocchio. The second is hard for me to watch sometimes, it's after the villains beat the crap out of him and he's left broken, falling apart and unable to speak or even move that well.

I may be over analyzing the scene a bit much but when the character Fred Redder came to see him and said "My god, what have they done to you?", I really could feel how awful he felt once he saw what happened to Johnny 5.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #19
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I loved Fred. I was just thinking of that movie the other day; I'd like to see it again. It was awesome when Fred gave Johnny his silk shirt. But of course the best part was when they were in the sewer and we just hear Fred say "Do you know what I'm standing in??"
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #20
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I loved Fred. I was just thinking of that movie the other day; I'd like to see it again. It was awesome when Fred gave Johnny his silk shirt. But of course the best part was when they were in the sewer and we just hear Fred say "Do you know what I'm standing in??"
That was actually a REALLY good sequel, totally different from the original in many ways but still a great movie. I loved when Johnny went robo-punk and ended up speaking butt backwards "I'm okay just a bit b-bububububbu buggs bunny perfectly functionality FUNctional)".

Not to mention, has one of the best ending music themes I've seen. "I need a hero" by Bonnie Tyler.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote