Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
HappyFoppy
This rank is six words long
STFU AND DANCE  

Send a message via MSN to HappyFoppy

Whooooa...

Can't believe things like that happen. The cop dude better goes to jail or something.

For a looooong time. :D
HappyFoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

Wait, wait...humans have been proven to NOT have a fear of snakes? Not that I'm calling you a liar, but mind if I ask where you found that? Just seems kinda weird, seeing as everyone I know is a little scared of them despite never having any real contact with them. In fact, as far as I know, the people with contact with snakes are LESS likely to be afraid, cause most snakes are harmless to humans and so holding, seeing etc them helps people to realise that.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

In clear violation of one of the 4 Rules of Shooting: "Know your target and what is behind it."

But i'm not surprised, cops feel that a gun and a badge makes them God. I hate cops so very much. And PBL i saw that story where the pig pulled over that lady. He used some SERIOUS force, and on a WOMAN! If he had tried that crap with me i would've killed his sorry ass without a second thought.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub3rD4n View Post
Wait, wait...humans have been proven to NOT have a fear of snakes? Not that I'm calling you a liar, but mind if I ask where you found that? Just seems kinda weird, seeing as everyone I know is a little scared of them despite never having any real contact with them. In fact, as far as I know, the people with contact with snakes are LESS likely to be afraid, cause most snakes are harmless to humans and so holding, seeing etc them helps people to realise that.
I think what she means is, people aren't born being afraid of snakes, because it's only through learning that we ever discover what snakes even are, and that learning almost always involves the idea that snakes are bad.

Last edited by kageri; 08-08-2007 at 04:53 PM.
kageri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
I'd like to know that myself. Simply saying that "Humans have been scientifically proven..." is meaningless regardless of the topic. "Scientifically proven" by who? A legitimate research group or a group with an agenda? What was the purpose of the research? What methodology was used? Unless such questions can be answered, I cannot take claims of scientific proof seriously, regardless who is making the claim or whether I want to agree with it or not.

Kudos, Ub3rD4n, for asking a very good question.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 08-08-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Cassini90125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #16
Bloo2daMacs
Banned

THE REFORMER...  

Oh, GOSH! I FREAKING HATE THIS!

I'm sorry, but this puts SO MUCH anger in me! The fact that he would RANDOMLY appear and decide to freaking shoot at a hamrless snake, and the freaking SHOOT A LITTLE BOY due to horrific aim- I just- I can't- GAH!

That other cop you mentioned- just, OOH! I CAN'T.... I'm using too much caps lock. This is really getting to me. I probably shouldn't have looked at this thread. I'm sorry.

If I could speak to either of the cops, I would have no mercy. Of course, they could probably arrest/beat the crap out of me, but it'd be worth it.
Bloo2daMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
Crash-N-Cortex
Permanent Resident
I'm back with my Chimchar!  

Send a message via Yahoo to Crash-N-Cortex

I can't believe the cop would shoot a kid for no reason. I feel that the cop hasn't practiced his shooting before getting behind the wheel of a cop cor. I hope that the cop was be fired or in this case go to jail.

Crash-N-Cortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #18
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash-N-Cortex View Post
I can't believe the cop would shoot a kid for no reason. I feel that the cop hasn't practiced his shooting before getting behind the wheel of a cop cor. I hope that the cop was be fired or in this case go to jail.
he should be shot in the head for what he did. Period.

then bill his family the $0.13 for the bullet.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
B.F. Skinner actually did experiments with this, which were later validated by another experiment at Yerkes Primate Center. Skinner compared the reactions of human toddlers, which had not been exposed to snakes, with those of young chimps and Rhesus monkeys, which were born in captivity and also had had no contact with snakes. He placed a harmless snake in contact with both groups. The human toddlers readily picked up the snake, touched it, and were not afraid of it at all. In contrast, the young chimps and monkeys, although never having seen a snake before, were terrified of it. The Yerkes Primate Center experiment used a toy snake, which elicited terror in every single species of ape and monkey they showed it to, including those which were captive born and had never seen a snake, even those that had been raised by humans, without even having had contact with adults of their own kind. These experiments are widely known in child psych studies, and if you plan to become a teacher, you must take lots of child psych courses. The fear of snakes is a cultural thing in humans, and it is NOT actually present in all cultures. Most Native American cultures do not promote a fear of snakes, for example. More recent studies suggest that we humans have a gene that allows us to LEARN to fear certain aninals very readily, but we do not have an instinctive fear of those animals. Here is the details of that latest experiments, which proved that toddlers do have a predisposition to LEARN to fear certain things, but they have to learn it from SOMEBODY: http://aands.virginia.edu/x837.xml . Even people who live where there are no snakes, are still subliminally bombarded with the message that snakes are "evil", and all of them are dangerous, or "mean". We have images of snakes used to represent evil or something bad in everything from advertizing to religious imagery to popular movies, and we are exposed to that from an early age. Most people just accept it, and don't even question it. Children are very perceptive to their parents' reactions to things; they can witness a parent reacting negatively to seeing a snake on tv, and file that away in their subconcious as a bad thing. If everything you see or hear about something is negative, naturally you will fear it. It's ironic that humans ourselves have probably never been preyed upon by snakes, unlike monkeys and small apes which HAVE evolved where large constricting snakes are among their predators, but there is considerable paleo-anthropoligical evidence that we we often eaten by large mammalian predators, like leopards, but far fewer people will react with fear to a large cat, than will to a even a small snake.

Some of us apparently lack that gene, since in spite of my parents' efforts to make me hate snakes, I never did feel anything that could overcome my fascination for them, and my neice, who is now four, is just as fascinated with them as I was, and is asking her parents to let her have one for Christmas already! I actually managed to change my dad's and grandparents' attitudes about snakes, to the point that my grandfather, who was normally more or less a human version of Wilt, once threatened a guy with a shotgun after the guy nearly ran HIM down in his own driveway while attempting to run over a Ratsnake that had just crossed the road in front of my grandparents' house, then had the audacity to tell my grandfather to get out of the way so he could kill the snake...in my grandfather's own driveway. You didn't mess with Ratsnakes or Kingsnakes on Papa's property, even though when I was a little kid he would kill any and every snake he saw, not realizing that most of them were harmless and would actually do a lot of good by eating the rodents that are the scourge of every farmer. Behavior that is learned, can be UNlearned, but true instinct is almost impossible to overcome. If humans had a real, instinctive, unlearned fear of snakes, you would be very hard-pressed to teach people to accept them, but I've done that with many people. Often, just seeing me hold one will be enough to make many people develope a new-found respect for the animals. Even people with genuine phobias, which are a form of mental illness, can be cured of their phobia of snakes.

pitbulllady

Last edited by pitbulllady; 08-08-2007 at 08:15 PM.
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #20
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

the whole thing is ridiculous...if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO (and i can envision no circumstances in which this applies) kill the snake, use a shotgun loaded with birdshot and change your angle so you're shooting INTO the trunk.

Birdshot, for the uninitiated, has an effective range of MAYBE 20 meters and beyond that is not lethal or even harmful, too much loss in velocity and negligable mass renders it useless past all but the shortest distances. Since cops do have shotguns in their patrol cars, i don't think a trip to the hardware store (or a neighbors house) to get a charge of #8 shot would have been out of the question.

Hell, hit the thing with a baseball bat if you really gotta kill it. Its a snake, not an armored car, a simple smack to the head with a Louisville Slugger would crack its neck.