Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #21
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
YES.

UniDream PowerBatch

That's what I use to convert my screencaps from their original bmp format to jpg. It will do as many files at once as you'd like. You can even specify a new size for the new image (that's how I make my thumbnail images). You can also use it to compress the files to make the filesize small, and if you don't compress by much (I do 75%) you save a lot of space (and in my case, bandwidth) and the pics looks exactly the same. That program saved this site. And its free.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working on my old TIF files, although that may just be me not understanding TIF files. On the other hand it works perfectly on bitmaps and late yesterday evening it turned about 5GB of them into less tha a half gig's worth of JPEGs, so thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #22
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Here are a couple of tips I have learned along the way:

- When working with ejection seats in combat aircraft...treat it like a LOADED gun!

- Do not buy securities unless you intend to trade; stick with mutual funds, and keep it simple - indexing is a good way to invest if you are young.

- "It only happens to the other guy/gal" - you could be the next one. We are ALL on that side of the fence too.

- "Never go for your gun unless yer shore it's there!" - Western gunfighter's Proverb.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #23
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck2k View Post
Here are a couple of tips I have learned along the way:

- When working with ejection seats in combat aircraft...treat it like a LOADED gun!
LOL

good to know, man
Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #24
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

You can lose a whole day on You Tube &/or Wikipedia.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #25
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Bloo View Post
been there done that
Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #26
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Bloo View Post
You can lose your lunch there, too.

Okay, I periodically consider getting an account on MySpace or LiveJournal or some such site but never do. Any thoughts on the matter, y'all?

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #27
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

meh. i never use mine.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #28
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
You can lose your lunch there, too.

Okay, I periodically consider getting an account on MySpace or LiveJournal or some such site but never do. Any thoughts on the matter, y'all?
Bow to the pressure! Get a myspace. It's addicting
Old 01-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #29
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I don't get much use out of Myspace. I've been on LJ for years though, and while I really don't blog there too much anymore, being a member means being able to join members-only communities that are fun to read, read friends-only journals (if the person friends you, anyways...), and having a stable identity if you choose to post. I pay for membership which affords a few cool extras, such as being able to have many more userpics at my disposal. (If you're not registered you can't use a userpic at all, and since you've made so many good ones, that would be a shame...)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #30
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I'm still brand spankin' new at LJ, but I think Sparky covered it excellently. All I've done so far is make a few posts to communities, as it's fun to share certain stories with others who share the same interest, or at least empathize with you. And then it's fun watching and waiting for people to leave comments about your post. Comments are the way to make friends. It is fun to read a lot of the stuff too, but most of them you can still read without joining. I think LJ is most popular for blogging/journal entries, both posting and reading. You can upload pictures, but it's not a big feature I don't think. The pictures are mostly just so you can have an assortment of avatars to choose from depending on your mood at the moment (and you can use a different one for each post you make, which is kind of cool). LJ has two free memberships, the first has a tight limit on pretty much everything (only for those who don't plan on using it much), the second is better but has a lot of advertising (I have the second, advertising isn't really any worse than pretty much anywhere else you go), and then there's paid membership, with which you get more access to stuff and fewer limits. I'm sure if one wants to pay for it, they'll want to be more serious and active there.

I'm technically still new to MySpace too, having been there only a few months. But I think I know my way around pretty well, and MySpace is loads different. It's more personal, as you can customize your page however under the sun you'd like with the help of sights like "PimpMyProfile.com" and others, many of which are advertised on sight so they're easy to find. It's fun looking for new things to add, and designing your own layout. It not only has a photo feature, but it's set up very similar to many online photo albums. You can post blogs, include pictures/videos in them, include pictures/videos, music and tables on your profile, and really make it all your very own. Someone could learn a lot about you just by looking at your profile- how you set it up, what you included in it, what you say in it, etc. Unless someone has their profile set to private, you can view people's profiles without having your own account. But I think to view all blogs and pictures in albums, you need to be signed in. It's also cool that there are a lot of actors/actress', artists/singers, comedians, and other celebrities, and also some movie and show production crews have their own pages. Most are run by fans for other fans, but a few are owned and operated by the personality(ies) themselves. I've already learned MySpace can have its downside though. Accounts are easily hacked into for some reason, and people are needing to change their passwords every few months or so (my sister says she's been hacked three times in the last two years, and her profile is set at "private"). So far I've only seen one of my friends hacked although all that happened was spam messages sent out to all her friends. Once alerted, she changed her password and it stopped. It can also be addicting, seeing how many "friends" you can add to your friend list, even if you have no idea who they are, and trying to get as many people to leave comments on your profile as you can. It can all become quite competitive. I've already decided I'm not there for competition, but it can be easy to get sucked into it if you're not careful. My bro was once very active there and had a great page, but he deleted his page because he said it was getting too competitive, and he was "ashamed of it". I wish the dork was still there though. He never calls me, and it'd be the only way to keep in touch.

Eh hem... Anyway, that's my input on LJ and MySpace. I'm enjoying both places personally. If I think of anything else, I'll add it later.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote